UPDATED - DVX100AP Shipment halt is not true just a rumor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Closed Thread

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #16
New Boot

I'm certainly hoping they take good care of us good customers, Byran!
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Bryan,
Before starting a lynch Panasonic campaign let's wait to get more information on the problem. If it turns out to be a major defect I'm sure Panasonic will offer some recourse or remediation.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #18
Major Player

Ken - I didn't mean to sound so aggressive. Im not one to immediately fire up a petition or anything: I was merely unsure of how camera vendors like Panasonic or Canon have handled "issues" such as we may have here in the past. Just didn't want to be left out in the cold ;) .
Old February 13th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #19
New Boot

I spoke with Ted Castillo, Pana west coast tech rep and he said yep there was a hold on shipments of DVX100A cameras due to a quality control check but he had not heard what the problem was. I described the noise problem I was having and he said send it back to the dealer for a replacement as an 'Initial Failure' situation.

Another large bit of news is that I just spoke with Winston at Biz-Max (where I purchased the camera) and he said his Panasonic sales rep had just called and is having him send all unsold DVX100A cameras back to Panasonic for a check over. He said there has also been mention of some kind of sound problem with the camera, if I understood him correctly.

I will be returning my camera for an exchange but there is no specific time frame for getting a 'clean' replacement camera yet..

Good luck and thanks to everyone who posted on this subject!
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #20

Thank you very much for the update, Kevin.

I spent some time shooting a Gretag MacBeth chart with both the 100 and the 100A today. The results are inconclusive and I want to re-shoot the tests.

I can say that, at least so far, I'm not seeing excessive chroma or luma noise with the 100A. I can also say that the cameras do definitely have subtly different "looks" when identical settings are applied.

More forthcoming.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #21
Major Player

hmmmm..... I wonder how Beach Camera will handle this. This would be the last thing I wanted to be doing with my 1.5 week old dvx.
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #22
Major Player

Man everybody had me freaked out over here, so I turned on my 100a in my lowly lit room and all of a sudden I saw lots of grain. I have this blue keychain so I looked at it and there was blue fuzz all over the place. How could I not have noticed this before, this is auful. Then all of a sudden as I reached for to set the white balance, I noticed something odd. My gain was set to H. I set it back and all was well. Man, I have never been so relieved in all my life. I'm not saying that these other people need to check the gain, but after setting it back to off, there was no noise that I could see, neither in super saturated red shadows or the blue keychain. Maybe a little noise in the blue keychain but nothing to get worked up about, remember this is super low light, only a 60watt lightbulb in my computer room. Maybe I lucked out, I've had my camera for about a month and a half. Later on tonight I will post an uncompressed clip for all to see my dimly lit room. I'll let you guys be the judge.
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #23
Major Player

My gain is set to 0. Check my frame grab on the first page of this post. Does it look grainy to you guys?

Regardless, I'm calling Beach to see what they've heard on Sunday.
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #24

No.

Old February 14th, 2004, 04:07 AM   #25
Major Player

Well, because I'm a nice guy I am posting a link to a 47meg uncompressed .mov file of some very low light clips I shot in my computer room. I only had the light from my monitor and an overhead 60watt light bulb. I shot in the shadows and tried to focus on saturated colors such as blue and red to see if any noise was present. You can see for yourself, http://www.stefweb.net/lowlighttest.mov
I really don't see excessive noise in the video even in the super saturated blue light of my external hard drive and flash mx book. Again judge for yourselves, however I find it hard to believe there is a video quality problem with my 100a, or maybe I just got lucky. Again it is a 47meg file so have patience and it works best if you right click and save it to your desktop.
sorry for the shakey footage, my tripod is out in my freezing cold car right now, and its soooo warm inside!
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #26
Major Player

http://www.stefweb.net/lowlighttest.mov linked for the lazy
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:40 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

It's quite difficult to judge the graininess if we all have different monitors and/or TVs (if this is the way that we judge the quality).

Different levels or Contrast and Brightness settings on our montor/tv do make some video look noisier.

Bryan,
I find the frame grab quite clean.
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #28
New Boot

The PAL version of the 100A has just arrived in the UK, I hope this "quality control" issue does not apply to this version as well?
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #29
Major Player

Hey thanks travis, how do you do the links again?
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #30
Major Player

If you are watching this on a computer screen, the best way to see if there is "grain" is by turning your brightness all the way up. The best way would be to record this footage to your camera in with your nle and watch in your tv. Of coarse if we are looking for grain like this and having such a hard time, that also has to tell you something.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant