UPDATED - DVX100AP Shipment halt is not true just a rumor - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #31
Major Player

to link yo go like this [*url*]http://www.whatever.com[/url*]

just remove the asterisks.
Old February 14th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #32
New Boot

Thanks for putting the sample up, Tavis. My camera is MUCH noiser especially in the reds. I'm glad you have a better functioning camera! Since these cameras are mass produced I could have simply gotten a unit with a more lemony quality to it.

I got an email back from a tech person at Panasonic today who says the 'quality control' issue is not related to image noise, but so far noone at Pana has been forthcoming on just what the issue is. Obviously something major is up, if all unsold units are being sent back to the mother ship. I'll post more info if and when I receive it.
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #33
Major Player

Don't thank me, i just linked it, it's Stefan's clip
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #34
Tourist

Thanks, Stefan! That's a good test, though it would be just a bit easier to judge the noise if you used a tripod :)
Anyway, my camera definitely has more noise than that shown in the clip.
This is confusing though, since the 2-pop forum deleted similar messages claiming that it was all a rumor and Panasonic denied there were problems.
http://www.uemforums.com/2pop/ubbthr...=5&o=7&fpart=1
Old February 14th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #35
Major Player

So maybe it's with a sound issue. I just captured a sound clip that I think is distorted, can you guys hear anything weird in it?...... only kidding ;) . Strange about the 2-pop forums, maybe it's all a hoax and because we're prosumers trying to nitpick our $3k cameras, we tricked ourselves into believing the "problem", or maybe there is actually one.

Thanks for the info so far guys, I'm interested to see what the issue is to cause a hault and recall of 100a's if that's true....

On another note, if you want to have a link "clickeable" you can also post it as an image file with UBB code. Ex:

[*img*]http://fakeimagesite.com/image.mov[*/img*]

Ofcourse omitting the asterisks and don't forget the http:// !
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #36
Space Hipster

I sent Noah a message to get information about what he heard from Panasonic.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #37
Space Hipster

Noah spoke to directly to Jan Crittenden who confirmed there is no halt in DVX100A shipments to dealers and that the rumor is completely untrue. A similar rumor was once perpetrated on 2-pop when the original DVX100 came out.

So until further notice, that's the official word. Unless you get update official Pansonic information, consider it without basis in fact.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #38
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Knowing Jan, as I do, I would completely trust her guidance. The DVX100A is outside of the line she works with but she is deeply in-the-know about the entire Panasonic Broadcast line.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 14th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #39
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Knowing Jan, as I do, I would completely trust her guidance. The DVX100A is outside of the line she works with but she is deeply in-the-know about the entire Panasonic Broadcast line. -->>>

Afraid she wears that hat too now. Got an email reply from her on a different matter a couple of days ago and her words were "I am now the product manager for the DVX100A".

So, guess she might have just an inkling anyway ;>)

-Rodger
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #40
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Well good for her! I guess Stuart English, the former line manager for the 100's, has moved into other areas.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #41
New Boot

This is getting very strange..

All I can say is that when I spoke with Ted Castillo who is supposedly the west coast tech rep for Panasonic yesterday, he said there was indeed a quality control issue with the DVX100A but that he had not been told yet what it was. As for the dealer that I got the camera from who originally told me about the freeze on shipments and having to send back unsold units, I've asked him for more info.

Someone's not being straight, but I don't know who.
Old February 15th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Actually I believe Stuart English is the Marketing V.P. for Panasonic Broadcast -- not a product manager. Jan is replacing somebody else.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #43
Major Player

This is turning into a muddled soap opera of twists and turns. You gotta respect the drama that only internet buzz can bring whether fact or rumor.
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

You're right about the drama, Bryan -- but around here, we try hard to separate out the rumors and concentrate on the facts. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #45
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Actually I believe Stuart English is the Marketing V.P. for Panasonic Broadcast -- not a product manager. Jan is replacing somebody else. -->>>

Your right Stuart English is (or was) the Marketing V.P. at Panasonic Broadcast, but I think (as I recall anyway) he was largely if not totally responsible for overseeing the new product innovation this DVX100 was forging.

In any case I appreciate both of these people. I do not believe that there is any company quite like Panasonic Broadcast when it comes to the nearly direct involvement with their customers (from the upper echelon no less) as we've see from Jan and Stuart.

-Rodger
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant