Would you like a radio control focus system? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 14th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #1
Trustee

Would you like a radio control focus system?

Hello guys please email me if you want to stay updated on a radio control follow focus system for use on the dvx100/A for shooting cine style on a steadycam/dolly. This will allow the focus puller to sit with the monitor on-set and do all the focusing lots easer then being with the camera...I am working on the design now.... I have one for myself that is homebrew that works great and now I am working on a professional version forsale..it will work PERFECT...my email is:

oolsen1@ec.rr.com

thanks!
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't keep us in suspense any longer. How much do you think it will sell for? I'd love to be able to do follow-focus on this camera.

I never believed in the myth of DOF. If DOF were so great, why wouldn't all cameras be shipped with 3 focus positions, small, medium and large? Next to aperture control, focusing is the most critical control you have on a camera. It means the difference between an amateur result (my specialty) and a professional one. A camera in motion without focus control is like a near-sighted driver without glasses or contact lenses. Blurry.
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

More Info, Please

Obin,
Sounds interesting. Certainly there are already remote focus pulling systems but they are quite costly...more than the DVX100 camera.

On critical performance item for such a device is precise repeatability. How does the operator of your device interact with it?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Trustee

yes you will hit marks with this unit...very important as you say :) i am thinking marks on the transmitter unit so that you know what marks you are hitting OR you can just watch the monitor and hit your"marks" via onscreen video feed... this will NOT be a free spinner type device :0
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #5
Trustee

I have not set a price yet..I think it will be around $700-1200..not sure yet gota see how it turns out! :)
Old February 15th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #6
Wrangler

Marc:

The large DOF with DV cameras is not unsubstantiated. I think it safe to say that any DV camera at a wide-angle setting has a vast amount of depth of field, even at close to wide open it's not surprising to be able to hold 4 feet to infinity. It gets trickier as you zoom in. The long end of the zoom for many cameras (the DVX100 doesn't go as long as the standard XL1 lens) is actually extremely long in photographic terms, and the depth of field shortens considerably. This is when more precise focusing becomes an issue, no doubt.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant