DVC80 Reviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 24th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC80 Reviews?

I'm looking for some really good sites either reviewing the DVC80 or comparing it with other cameras... I can't seem to find any really good full reviews like the ones on camcorderinfo.com or dvinfo.net. Any suggestions?
Old February 24th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Well I have a GL2 and DVC80 and I am going to do a comparrison with a PD150 a friend is bringing over on March 6th. I am considering selling my GL2 in favor of a XV or PD but I need to compare first to see if it's a good idea. So if you can wait I'll advise of my opinion later.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Rob,
I read some of your old posts on the gl2 vs dvc80 in lowlight and you were very surprised that the difference wasnt that great. I wonder what your thoughts on that is now that you have used the camera for abit longer.
I just got a dvx100a and the lowlight really impressed me. I've tried it in the city scape at night and was quite happy with the results but then I only had an mx500 to compare it to!
Tung Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Major Player

As a DVC80 owner, I can attest to the lack of reviews and info out there -- I myself started a thread a few months back that asked, "Whenceforth more DVC80 info?"

First, I can point you to a page that compares the (*sigh*) DVX100 to the Sony VX2000:

http://www.bealecorner.com/dvx100/compare/index.html

Yes, I know it's DVX100 info, but it might give you some idea of the difference...

Second, I can tell you the opinion of broadcast professionals who also teach Broadcast Media at the university I work at. I *do not* represent the Journalism program, I don't work in that department, and I won't mention the college (although it is probably easy to figure out), but this is a quality telecom program with strong ties to professional news networks. The professors have years of experience in broadcasting (and many of them are still heavily involved in the field).

Anyway, this program has changed their cam of choice from the PD150 to the DVC80 and currently have more 80s than 150s on hand. I spoke with a few of the professors after seeing J-School students using the DVC80 around campus -- they say that the DVC80 is equal to the PD150. One professor says there is no question that the DVC80 is of the same quality as the PD150. Another also noted the Leica lens as an additional selling point; he loves the Leica. This program seems to be pretty good at getting grants and money, so I don't think that it's simply a matter of "who gave the lowest bid" -- they are continually investing money into this program to ensure that their students are prepared to work at the best news networks.

Admittedly, these are ENG folks, so they are probably not as concerned with some of the subtleties that you might be concerned about. But they seem to think that the DVC80 is pure PD150 competition.

I think the DVC80 has gotten lost in the furor over the DVX100 -- I've had more than one person approach me during a shoot and ask "Is that the DVX?" They seem to lose interest when I tell them it's the 80; they want to know about "that 24p cam."
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Tung,

The GL2 is a great cam but I have changed my view of the 80's low light a bit with more use. It is better than the GL2 as would be expected for low light. It has less noise in low light and the audio is much better that the GL2. If it weren't for the GL2 having twice as much zoom range it may be no contest. The tape drives in the panasonic seem much more solid that the GL2. I believe there is no disputing that the VX/PD is king in low light. The 80 is great to hold and to look at and good balance. I find myself sometimes just picking it up for the fun of it.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Sure would be nice if there was a full analytic comparison in every field of DVC80 vs. GL2 vs. VX2100! These cameras ... so hard to distinguish which one is the 'best or supposedly better', each one has it's pros and cons........crAzy! ;/
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

The "better" camcorder is the one that feels best in your hands. Most all of these 3-CCD DV camcorders have far more in common than they do any real differences. If you're looking for some specific feature, such as 24p on the DVX100 or a 20x zoom lens on the GL2, then forget about tech specs and comparisons and the like. Get your hands on these things and determine which one feels best in your hands. That's the right camcorder for you. Ergonomic feel, controls layout, the appeal of the internal menu system interface, all of these factors are so much more important than any tech specs or comparitive analysis. The right one is the one you can hold well and use well. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #8
New Boot

David:

This is the review from Videomaker Magazine's website. I would have just posted a link but a password is required.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Targeted at advanced shooters who want a light, compact, DV acquisition tool, Panasonic's 3-chip AG-DVC80 has an impressive feature list. This black beauty offers the same manual controls, XLR audio inputs and menu options found on professional video cameras.
Michael Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Michael

Unfortunately I had to remove most of your post. You had copied that entire article verbatim from the VideoMaker website. That's not a cool thing to do, sorry. That article is copyrighted material which is protected by law. Posting it here word for word puts me in a liable position. Please post links only -- a short paraphrase is fine as I left above in your post. If the article is password protected, you can state how to register to read the article. But you can't copy it here. Sorry about that -- those are the rules,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #10
New Boot

Oops. Sorry Chris. My apologies.
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #11
New Boot

OK, let's try that again. Here's the link:

http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/article.cfm?id=9803

The password is: "render"

Enjoy.
Old March 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #12
New Boot

No higher than 1/60th Shutter Speeds?

I have been considering a SONY DCR-VX2100, but have been checking out the DVC80 as a possiblity, but it seems to list only 1/60, 1/100, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000 and 1/2000 for shutter speeds, while the DCR-VX2100 can do 1/4 to 1/10,000.

I would like the XLR adapters, but I also want low light ability.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant