DVX and gain up controls at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DVX and gain up controls

okies, now most Pana cams have gain up from +6, +9 +12 +15 and +18

the DVX lets me mess around with 6, 9 12 and 18 .. but what about 15?? Obviously, 15+ would offer a higher gain than 12 but it would also carry lower noise artefacts than +18...

so why cant we get to it??Why cant we use it?? i mean there've been countless times when all i needed was that tiny boost, but jumping to 18 was too noisy, so then im left with using a light which i dont particularly want to use.. especially for weddings...

any ideas?? thoughts?? Opinions on this?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Trustee

I think most people tend to avoid using gain like the plague. I know for myself, it's pretty much a non-issue. If I can't shoot it without using gain, then I try my best to avoid it altogether, or light it, or use a reflector, or something - anything to avoid gain.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Interesting. I feel like anything over 6db of gain looks terrible--period. If you need to boost the gain by 15db I'd say you need a better lighting solution. How about a nice on-camera light with a dimmer and small softbox?

Think of it this way: the DVX100 is nominally rated at an ISO of 640. +15 db is the equivalent of 2.5 extra stops of light. If you were a still photog, you'd be using ISO 3200 film! It's going to be grainy/noisy, with film or a digicam or a video camera.
Barry Schmetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

"I'd say you need a better lighting solution. How about a nice on-camera light with a dimmer and small softbox?"

:)

got those!!!

I dont knw about the NTSC models, but i can safely say that i frequenty run the gain up at +12 without any noticable artefacts..
when i hit, +18 i get those blue pixles in my blacks..

mind you im using cine gamma and matrix is set to cinema.. so it IS darker than most other settings....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, the PAL model must also include nitrogen-cooled CCD's :-). It sounds like you're trying to be very low-key at the wedding--which is good, but maybe you can crank your light up a little more. Folks look their best at an event like a wedding and I don't think they're going to mind a bit of light while you're shooting.

Why did Pany skip +15db? Maybe the software engineer had a hangover that day. Maybe it was Friday afternoon and he said, "Four o'clock and I'm only up to +12db? I'm adding +18 db and then I'm off for a relaxing time and some Suntory whisky!"
Barry Schmetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #6
Inner Circle

LOL@Barry.. that WOULD NOT surprise me mate.. hahahaha

at the moment, im running 10w globes, which are fine enough for up to 7 metres.. i thought about going higher maybe 20 or 35, (i used to use 100w... ) but its not the best when your going around to tables and people are sqinting at you during an interview.. with the 10w globe and fitted diffuser, i dont get any squints.. i think this is probably as high a globe i wnat to get near peoples faces.. id love to go higher.. but for my work.. it just doesnt cut it.. :(
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant