Need help, dvx100 lens and chip information. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help, dvx100 lens and chip information.

I need to reproduce the lens information for the dvx100 in a 3d enviroment. Heres what i have so far.

The dvx chip is .33 of an inch. when i put that info into the filmback of a 3d camera, and set the lens to 4.5mm, which i believe is the widest the lens will go without an adaptor? the angle of view seems exteremly wide. when i compare it to a super 35 film camera (.98 inches), its equal to about a 14mm or something. this doesnt seem right to me. Especialy since camera stores are telling me that the 4.5mm is equal to a 35mm in 35mm still photography, which is roughly twice as large as super 35. Is the stock lens really that wide? Is there some wierd processing that happines in video? does the whole chip get exposed? can anyone help?

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Rich,
The stock lens on the DVX100/100A at wide angle is equivalent to a 32mm lens in 35mm terms. The full 10x zoom would be 32-320mm.
I use 32mm for the wide angle in Lightwave stuff and the perspective match with my 100A is fine when composited.
Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Re: Need help, dvx100 lens and chip information.

<<<-- Originally posted by Rich Lee : Especialy since camera stores are telling me that the 4.5mm is equal to a 35mm in 35mm still photography, which is roughly twice as large as super 35. Is the stock lens really that wide? Is there some wierd processing that happines in video? does the whole chip get exposed? can anyone help? -->>>

The CCD is 1/3 of an inch, but that's the gross surface area -- the usable window is probably quite a bit smaller.

35mm still photo frame is not twice Super35. 35mm still is 36mm wide, Super35 is about 24mm wide, so 35mm still is about 50% larger, not twice.

The other advice is what you want to follow -- set your camera to be 35mm still, and set your lens to be 32.5mm.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Barry thanks, im retarded and was in the same state of mind i was in for my last project. we were using super35 but switched to anamorphic halfway through, so we had to change the lenses accordingly, which ment roughly doubling and rounding to the next lens size. so for some reason i had that stuck in my brain when i was thinking about this stuff.

Anyway, we are going to get a dvx100 with some lens attachements and do field of few measurments just to be sure how this thing works.

Thanks

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

You can also look up the field-of-view calculator from Panavision NZ.

http://www.panavision.co.nz/main/kba...alcFOVform.asp

Nothing beats hands-on experience, of course, but if you want to double-check your results, this calculator is a great resource.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant