Detail level = edge enhancement? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 14th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Detail level = edge enhancement?

In an effort to make theatrically lit dramas look better, I've been playing with the detail level setting on my dvc80 (please don't lecture me here about why I should have purchased another camera). My question is, is this the same thing that people talk about when referring to "edge enhancement?" If so, I have no problem turning it down, but if I'm degrading an image that I paid extra $ for good glass and 1/3" chips to get, I don't want to do it.

So often I read these threads that say to turn down the saturation, soften the focus, and add filters that make me wonder why pay for a nice 3 chip camera that does all these things so well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.
Steve D. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know exactly what to tell you. I just happen to be deciding what I think about it too.

Consider it a tool that you can use or not use... that's the beauty of the cam. Let's say you're interviewing a subject with bad skin, I'll bet they'll be a lot happier with the end result if you back the detail off.

On my local news channel we have a pretty old anchor named Dick Ford... they REALLY need to back the detail down on his cam. I mean it's full-on rediculous... makes me think, "why do we want HD?"

Anyhoo... I've got some xlrs in Rip-Ties(tm) and I noticed when I zoomed in on the colored velcro that I could choose to see every plastic "hair" or I could see it as a whole... both images looked good, but totally different.

Sooner or later you'll find that vinyl siding and certain fabrics can be a moire nightmare... adjustable detail helps there too.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt, I'll keep playing.

Steve.
Steve D. Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant