How to shoot DVX100(a) for possible 35mm transfer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 30th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

On mine there is definitely no vignetting. Can't speak for every one of 'em, but I've viewed full frames at full wide on the computer and verified that there is no vignetting.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #17
Slash Rules!

Hmm. . .perhaps Van Bavel is Van wrong?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:04 AM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

Marcus is a skilled expert and one of the best DVX voices around.

The manual for the anamorphic adapter also mentions vignetting at full wide angle. But I don't know anyone who's experienced it.

Perhaps on the early prototypes it vignetted, something they solved before releasing it?

I have no answers for you, other than that on my particular adapter, there is no vignetting, and I have never read a post from anyone who's experienced vignetting (although I don't know how many of them have used it on underscan or viewed it full-frame on the computer).

Here's a picture I took with the anamorphic adapter and the DVX100 on full wide angle. I see no vignetting in the corners.
http://www.icexpo.com/dvx100/With_an..._view_wide.JPG
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:47 AM   #19
Major Player

I recently did some test shots with the panasonic anamorphic adapter on the DVX100. We had the camera hooked up to a 20" production monitor on underscan. I also recorded the footage, and took a very close look at it at home. I didn't see any vignetting on the lens when we shot completely wide.

The focus on the long end of the lens, however, is nearly impossible to nail, hard enough to be considered useless.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:17 AM   #20
Slash Rules!

Okay, guys, I'm convinced. There's place in town that has one for rent, and said they'd let me play with it to see how it worked.

Let me ask you guys this: Can you attach anything else when that 16: adapter's on there? Can you put on the Century .6x Wide Angle adapter?
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM   #21
Barry Wan Kenobi

No.

And you don't need a wide adapter, because the anamorphic is essentially a .67 wide-angle adapter as well. On full wide, the camera+anamorphic is V E R Y wide.

But no, no telephoto option, and filters are a bit problematic as well.
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:49 PM   #22
Slash Rules!

Hmmm. . .that's good news about the wide angle kind of built into the anamorphic.

However, this no filter business also bothers me. . .did you mean screw-ins, or the 4x4 kind?

The problem with not having any telephoto capability is that I want all the footage to match in its quality, so I don't want to be switching lenses and stuff, and I have to aim for that filmout, which means that any resolution changes (anamorphic adapter vs. century telephoto attachment) will be pretty noticable, no? Also, since I'll be using two cameras, won't you be able to tell the difference between the camera with the adapter and the one without, since to get the 16:9 in the camera without the adapter, we'll simply have to crop in post? I'm just assuming these differences will be greatly magnified on film.
Old May 1st, 2004, 02:01 PM   #23
Barry Wan Kenobi

They will, so don't do that. Pick a configuration and stick with it. If you're going anamorphic, all your cameras should be anamorphic, and you won't be using telephoto adapters.

If you require the telephoto adapter, just don't use the anamorphic for your footage.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:39 PM   #24
Slash Rules!

Sigh. . .I guess that's the sad truth. The idea is that one camera is A and one is B (though why we need two at all I don't know), and we'd buy one .6x Wide angle adapter, and maybe rent the telephoto for those special occasions. I guess croppin' in post is the way we's be goin'.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant