Download Full-Resolution DV samples of the DVC80 in Action at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 11th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Download Full-Resolution DV samples of the DVC80 in Action

Yes, it's a little late in the game, but if you're thinking of picking up a DVC80 before they're gone, I've posted 3 short, full-res samples of this cam in action on my website.

These are full-resolution, 720x480 DV .avi files, with no additional compression. They are listed under the second heading on the page:

http://karatemedia.com/video/dvc80.html

They're the ones listed as "Short Sample," "Marti's Sample," and "Warehouse Sample." They're all around 20 seconds and range from 68 MB to 87 MB in size.

Download 'em and play 'em on your TV, if possible, for the best idea of how this cam looks in even less-than-ideal settings (such as very, very dim lighting in the Marti's ad).

I'd been waiting for my switch to a new hosting service with more disk space before posting these online. Now that I've got the space, it seems like too little too late. But I was inspired by another member here at dvinfo to put them up anyway. If you are considering getting one of the DVC80s still left (and I think they are an incredible deal at $2099), perhaps these videos will help. I'm not a Panny booster, per se, but I do think the DVC80 is a good cam at a great price.

Enjoy. I hope it does some good.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Now, this is a real good stuff here. Wonder if one can find any uncompressed DVX100A footage, so we can compare....
Love Mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

John,

You have a typo on your page:

http://karatemedia.com/video/mart-edit-full.avi

should be

http://karatemedia.com/video/marti-edit-full.avi
Love Mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you kindly! Sorry for the poor typing on my part :) I have fixed the link.

Let me know if anything else funky pops up.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Love Mov : Now, this is a real good stuff here. Wonder if one can find any uncompressed DVX100A footage, so we can compare.... -->>>

Just like in your other post I pointed out, the DVX and DVC are one and the same. Except for the DVC can only shoot in 60i. It would be pointless to compare footage, since it would look the same as a DVX. Unless you want to compare 24p footage to 60i.
Aaron Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #6
Space Hipster

John:

Thanks for the full-rez clips. One question- many of your shots have clipped whites. Was this intetional or accidental?
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Stephen --

I would say "semi-intentional" :)

All three of those shoots were done rather quickly. In setting up most shots I had to go with what I thought was acceptable and what could be done quickly.

For example, the dining room in the Marti's ad was so dim that I had to leave the iris wide open (I had no extra lights), which led to shots like the one with the three women in front of the window: you'd think it was a bright sunny day outside that window, it's so blown! In reality, it was a rainy, overcast day -- and the only day I could shoot, so I just did what I could. As I say, I'm no great cameraman, so hopefully I can only get better, especially in situations where I have to think on my feet.

That said, to my eyes, the whites aren't really a problem -- perhaps I have watched too much bad video in my life, but I don't see them as distracting. I get mored bummed about the overall bad lighting in the Marti's ad and some of the shakiness in the Musician's Warehouse ad.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your overall impression of the footage in general, and the clipping in specific?
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #8
Space Hipster

I thought the composition of the shots was good. The clipping bothers me because of the reduced contrast, resolution loss and "cheap video" look that detracts from the positive, professional aspects of the shot.

I'm not sure what NLE you use, but's it much easier to boost shadows than fix clipping (which is usually impossible).

In run and gun, set your zebras and make sure to underexpose a stop or two and boost in post.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Stephen

I agree with what you say and I know it in my head... Unfortunately, there is a difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it when the time comes. Especially in situations like the Musician's Warehouse ad, which was conceived, written, shot, edited, and finished between Noon and 11:30 pm one Sunday. It's kind of like the difference between memorizing a book on boxing and actually being in the ring.

I'm actually waiting for the chance to do an ad where someone doesn't need it done in a day or two, where I have time to concentrate more on both the shooting and editng aspects of production. Hopefully, it will be soon -- one client I am talking to actually has a couple months before they need the final product! Lordy be!

Regardless, those are good points you have made. And hopefully, even though this is not the greatest footage (as I said, it shows the camera in "less-than-ideal settings"), it gives an opportunity for someone who doesn't have a way to personally try out this camera to see some video shot with it.
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant