Remote Control Tripod for DVX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 14th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote Control Tripod for DVX

Does anyone know if any remote control tripod (if any) works with the dvx100a? Can I use any remote tripod with the dvx (sony, canon) or is it just not possible to use it.

Does anyone know if you can control the dvx with ur remote from the back of the camera?
Carlos Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Carlos,
A tripod and a remote control are separate devices (although I'm aware that Sony makes a tripod that features a remote)

There are relatively few choices for DVX remotes. Varizoom makes a version of their "Stealth" controller and Bebob makes a Zoe-brand controller. Browse here and in the Support for more info, as they have been discussed relatively recently.

You should note that the DVX does not use the LANC control protocol. Consequently, only the Record/Pause and lens zoom functions can be controlled remotely with these devices.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

tripod

Ken,
Thanks for your rapid responce. I am a little confused. So are you saying that a tripod with a remote control (like the one Sony and Canon make) that use the LANC protocol will NOT work on the DVX's and only a zoom controller specifically made for Panasonic cameras will?

Sorry if I sound redundant but im about to get my dvx100a and im trying to find the best, cheapest accesories around.

ps: what is the name of the shotgun mic featured on the dvx promo pics? is it any good?
many thanks...
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Re: tripod

Quote:
So are you saying that a tripod with a remote control (like the one Sony and Canon make) that use the LANC protocol will NOT work on the DVX's and only a zoom controller specifically made for Panasonic cameras will?
Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying.
Quote:
Sorry if I sound redundant but im about to get my dvx100a and im trying to find the best, cheapest accesories around.
I think we can all understand budgetary constraints and restraints. At this time there really isn't a wide price variety in DVX controllers. Compared to the market for LANC controllers which have a broad range of compatible cameras (i.e. manufacturers that license LANC from Sony), the market for DVX-compatible controllers is quite tiny. So there's little incentive for many competitors to chase it.

A side note to the wise, not specifically germane to this product: be thoughtful of where you economize. General "accessories", such as sound and lighting gear, will likely long outlive your current camera ownership. It's often far wiser and less expensive to buy good equipment from the start than to undergo frequent replacements if you expect to continue your interest in video. Resale value on good equipment is also much better than it is on junk.

Quote:
ps: what is the name of the shotgun mic featured on the dvx promo pics? is it any good?
many thanks
I've no idea what photos you reference but I suspect that, if they're Panasonic advertisements, it's a Panasonic mic.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

awesome, wow, I couldnt get this much info from anyone, not even Panasonic!

The funniest thing is a cheapy tripod with a remote was 48 hours away from getting shipped with my dvx100a. The bastards at the place I bought the camera told me:
1. the tripod was professional (upon reviewing the model # and specs, it was a cheap 40 dollar tripod)
2. the tripod would work with the dvx (now i know it wouldnt have)
on top of that, they wanted to charge me 130 for it. Nuts!
Thanks for your invaluable info..
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #6
New Boot

For less han $20 in parts you can make your own remote zoom/record controller.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/remote/

The only problem is that Panasonic made no electronic allowances for remote focus, which sucks. You have to do it yourself via prefocusing on your subject prior to remote operation and managing your depth of field so that if the subject moves around a bit your shot isn't toast.

Speaking of "remote tripods," I just got a Bescor MP-101 from B&H Photo and I love it. This is a motorized yoke that you bolt between your camera and tripod that allows you to tilt and pan remotely.

The MP-101 has a 30º tilt range (+ or- 15º) and a 180º pan range (+ or - 90º). I bought two remote cable extenders so that I can be 100 feet away from the camera while operating it. On its slowest setting the movement is workably smooth to use on medium and wide shots. At full zoom its a bit twitchy and too fast, but I'll never use it for anything other than static framing of the image anyway.

Can't beat that for $160 for everything--power supply, 100 feet of DIN cabling, and the unit itself. Oddly enough, B&H's price was one of the lowest.

By using two of these MP-101s with monitors at a central location, I should be able to man a three-camera live shoot myself.
Bartholomew Boge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant