Need Help- F stop equivalency at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 30th, 2004, 02:41 AM   #1
Tourist

Need Help- F stop equivalency

For digital effects purposes, I need to match exposure- I don't claim to be a DP, but I've figured out the necessary equivalents for focal length and depth of field, but how do I match F-stops? I assume that even after matching the lens equivalency (say, figured out my 12mm DVX100 lens = 80mm 35mm cine lens), the F-stop will not be proportionate- IE knowing depth of field and doing the math for the equivalent lens will not yield the equivalent F-stop. Help? I fear I've thought myself in circles and now I'm retarded...
Phil Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

Actually Phil, the conversion factor to cine should be around 4.4x, netting you an equivalent 53mm to your 12mm. Exposure is exposure; a f2.8 is the same amount of light delivery regardless of the format of the lens (barring certain factors such as light loss due to adaptors etc). And depth of field also remains constant. The big variable is field-of-view; your 12mm focal length on DV delivers a 53mm-equivalent image in the cine format while a 12mm cine is obviously much wider. However, regardless of that factor, the 12mm cine lens will have the same depth of field as the 12mm DV lens, and will be similarly affected by exposure.

So in a nutshell: f-stops, focal lengths and the resulting depth of field are absolute; field-of-view is relative, based on the format.
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Tourist

Wow, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
Phil Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

We aim to please at DVInfo.net! And welcome!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant