Best setting to avoid strobbing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 7th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #1
Tourist

Best setting to avoid strobbing?

Is there a way to avoid or minimize the strobing one gets when shooting 24P?

I have asked this elsewhere and have been met by incredulous expressions like "that's what film looks like!" or "that's normal but it won't look like that when doing a film out".

I have shot film.

I have gone to the movies.

It does not look like this. Strobbing is strobbing. Just curious as to how to minimize this on the DVX100 - knowing full well I may never get rid of it unlees I shoot 60i.

Anyone?
Steve Clarendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

I have shot 35mm, 16mm, S16mm, and even Super8. I've shot on the DVX.

I've shot similar stuff on 16mm and DVX 24P, and split-screened them and viewed the results. They render motion identically.

Yes, that is what film looks like. There will always be strobing.

If you don't want strobing, you can shoot in 60i, or you can try using a shutter speed of 1/24. Both will eliminate strobing, although neither will look filmlike, because the strobing is an inherent key component in what makes the film look so different from the video look.

(for strobing in the movies, go watch the latest Harry Potter movie, it strobes all over the place. You can really see it during the credit sequence when they scroll sideways across the map... looks just like a DVX...)
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Steve,

Barry (Green) is essentially correct...although it is true that the strobing effect can be enhanced (or exacerbated) by the output medium...in this case a television. Because of the way film is projected, the stobing is usually less visible in theatres, but it is still undeniably there...when the cinematographer hasn't taken steps to avoid situations that cause it. Take a look at "punch drunk love" and you'll see several examples of the worst strobing nightmare while adam sandler is going through the supermarket looking for frequent flier miles...it'll hurt your eyes.

A good guide to cinematographers do's and don'ts is the ASC Manual, now available as a two part deal for film and video...You'll find references in the film manual that refer to exactly the kind of strobing you're seeing...the reason that we don't usually see much of a problem in film is that most good DP's know how to avoid the problem...so the best "setting" for anyone trying to alleviate the problem in the DVX...is to read the film manual and follow the rules.

Here's a link to the manuals

http://www.theasc.com/cgibin/store/acsstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=film_video#
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant