Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio

I will be connecting 2 XLR mics to the ag-dvx100. If I connect to the XLR inputs on the camera will they be stereo or will one mic be the left channel and one the right?
thanks,
Will
Will Abele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

it will be split audio...
Brian Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

so if I were to use a wireless for XLR 1 (minijack out from wireles receiver to 2 XLR outputs. but will plug only one in) and a zoom mic (panny's stock for the DVX) on XLR 2, I will get each different input on left and right channels respectively, in the NLE or do I get a mixed (stereo) track ?

Pardon my ignorance. I haven't managed to receive all my equipment yet, to test them.
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It seems to be stereo, but when I monitor with headphones while shooting I get each channel in a different ear. When I import FCP shows only left or right channel, but when I edit it is stereo.
Will Abele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

ok , I finally got my audio eqiupment all here. but it seems that once I digitise it, it becomes a single track audio, so it really isn't stereo, is it ? Or am I missing some post production technique ?
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #6
Trustee

The camera will allow you to determine which channels you want recorded and how. For example...

You can attach a single mic to the lower XLR and have it mix so that both left/right record that one mic.

OR... You can attach one mic to the lower XLR and another mic to the upper XLR and have one go to the right channel and the other to the left channel.

If you're not sure if you're configured correctly when you're recording, then do a simple test - lower the audio on one channel and do a sound check; then do the same on the other channel. In a brief moment you'll know exactly which mic is going where, or if one mic is going to more than one channel.

It is important to note, though, that the lower XLR input in the DVX is the only one that will mix to both left and right channels. That is, if you want one single mic to send a signal to both left and right channels, that mic must be plugged into the lower XLR input.

I believe this is the same for DVX100 and DVX100A.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks I do know that input2 for the XLR can go stereo by setting the input swtich to input 2 for both.

I was just trying to figure out what Will meant by "When I import FCP shows only left or right channel, but when I edit it is stereo."

does it mean once I finish editing the final rendered clip will be stereo and both inputs of the DVX will come out on both left and right channels without any audio mixing ? Or is this dependent on the NLE that I use ?
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Trustee

It is dependent on your NLE as to how audio tracks are specifically handled. It should be noted, however, that what most NLE's call an audio track consists of a left and right channel. Each channel will contain whatever you recorded to it on the cam - unless you tell it to, I don't believe any NLE will automatically mix anything for you.

For example, in Vegas (which I use), when you bring in a bit of captured footage, it brings in one track for audio - however, both left and right channels are in that one track. It's just semantics.

I don't know if this helps you at all - if not, definitely chime back with some more specifics...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant