Xl2 Or Dvx100a - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 5th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #46
Major Player

Thank you sir for correcting. I'm really glad you included that footage though, because regardless of the cam, the main thing it did was show a general contrast of standard video look, and the DVX's very cinematic look. That was one well worth while comparison shot, and the type of scene in the example was very suitable to display the subtle differences.

Does anyone find it odd that we're still posting in an old thread started by a long banned individual?
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #47
Major Player

I didnt even notice; is that who I think it is Daniel?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #48
Major Player

Yessir, it sure is. As much of a forum pain as he is, I still feel love for the boy and hope he's doing ok.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #49
Major Player

"Yes, inherently, the DVX100 has a wonderful 'out of the box' filmic quality", erm.. so you DO agree with me, then? I never said anything about it being magic. If you interpreted it that way, that's up to you, but my comment was far from suggesting that if you buy a DVX100, you'll automatically become the new Spielberg - no need for actors, script or a DP - it's a miracle camera!

About the sound, of course it's better to have an external mic, but I never suggested otherwise. Let's not enter the realms of accessories: As is, the DVX as great sound compared to most other cams on it's category.

Daniel, I think most people refer to 'film look' as in something shot using a film camera. So 'film' as in, pellicle, celluloid, not as in a Hollywood movie with actors. You could be just shooting people walking down the street, but a PD150 will make it look very video like; a DVX100 will have a closer 'film' look; while a 35mm will BE film.
Dave Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #50
Major Player

Originally posted by Dave Ferdinand : "Yes, inherently, the DVX100 has a wonderful 'out of the box' filmic quality", erm.. so you DO agree with me, then? I never said anything about it being magic. If you interpreted it that way, that's up to you, but my comment was far from suggesting that if you buy a DVX100, you'll automatically become the new Spielberg - no need for actors, script or a DP - it's a miracle camera!

About the sound, of course it's better to have an external mic, but I never suggested otherwise. Let's not enter the realms of accessories: As is, the DVX as great sound compared to most other cams on it's category.

Daniel, I think most people refer to 'film look' as in something shot using a film camera. So 'film' as in, pellicle, celluloid, not as in a Hollywood movie with actors. You could be just shooting people walking down the street, but a PD150 will make it look very video like; a DVX100 will have a closer 'film' look; while a 35mm will BE film.

It was the term "Immediate film look (point & shoot)" that can cause someone deciding on this kind of a purchase to be misinformed. It is important they realize the differences; inherently the camera looks surreally film-like but I have seen footage submitted 'out of box' that looked nothing like film and that was due to operator error; But that's already been covered.

Regarding the sound? Yet another important note for someone considering the purchase. If quality sound is what they are after, then a external mic is mandatory; hence be prepared to spend extra duckets on accessories. Is there a need to get into accessories? I think it prudent to acknowledge these little facts to the potential buyers.

I'm not sure what most people refer to definitions of 'film look' or 'filmic'. Lord knows this has been discussed to death. I think
we all know what it means when someone says 'Film look' and there is really no need for semantics. Film Look, Filmic, Film Quality, Cinematic. Everyone knows what is being referred to.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #51
Major Player

bottom line: go for the DVX or the xl2 if you want the cam now. if you prefer to wait, wait a year and see which cams come out, but I doubt they will be in the same price line.

dvx and xl2 have cinematic looks, but they are no wonder toys, YOu need to pre-edit your movies to get that great movie fantasy ' I wanna be a steven SPIELBERG' looking movie-look.

If you reall y want cinematic profesional stuf, wait for the next panasonic next year. They will be better than the dvx as to filmlook is concerned. Good luck.

ps: dvx is cheaper and gives you more money to buy external mics, light, etc etc
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #52
Contributor

> wait for the next panasonic next year

You mean this year, right? Panasonic AJ-HDX100. Take a look:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...2&goto=newpost
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #53
Major Player

the link give me I don't have auhorisation . I am logged in in this forum.strange.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #54
Contributor

Ok. Sorry, the link seems to have changed.

This one works, for the whole collection of threads related to the new Panny, at least for now:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=80

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant