DVC30 durability? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Tourist

DVC30 durability?

Hi,
first time post. I am a GL1 user and strongly leaning towards getting DVC30. I know the 30 has everything in its' favor. The one thing I wonder about is its' day to day toghness. My GL1 is outdated and seriously lacking in features but it has been a trouble free work horse for 5yrs and still works good each time out of the case. Can I trust the DVC30 on that level.

thanks
Cliff
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Trustee

The DVC30 is solid. Do a search. There are several comments on this. I have had mine for 6 months and used in harsh conditions and it has held up very well.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #3
New Boot

Same here, got mine last summer and it's very rugged. As for bwayphoto...check their ratings before you buy. Good luck!
Mark Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

great cam

one thing though buy exsternal mic .dp
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

DVC30 a good choice

I also had a GL1 from 1999 to 2004, and I loved it, took it everywhere and never had a problem. When it was stolen I got a GL2 and didn't warm up to it as much as the GL1. I took it back for a DVC30. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it as much as I thought I would, but, I shot a lot of footage and tested out different parameters for each of the scene files, and was really pleased with what I was able to get out of this cam. I like it much more than I though I could. I could get the image I loved so much from the GL1, plus a lot of different looks, some of which I like even better, so I have been really happy with the image from this cam. Also I have been really happy with actually using the cam, it has a nice feel and hold. As far as sturdy or dependable, I put this cam in my fanny pack as I ride a motorcycle, it's been on the plane numerous times, at the beach several times, and skiing a couple times, The cam now has about 100 hours on it. no problem.

But please check out resellerratings.com or other such sites and read feedback on b'way photo and the other "brooklyn" stores before deciding to go with them.

Brian
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Trustee

Brian,

I am always experimenting with the scene file settings. Have you got one you would like to share.

Regards,

Mark
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #7
New Boot

i sold my dvc-30 i liked very much but im going for sony hd fx-1 this cam makes me quiver
Joe Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

DVC30 Scene Files

Mark,

For what types of shooting, indoor or outdoor? Video mode or for the Movie mode? I have a few I could share along with some observations as well if you want.

Brian
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Brian,

Outdoor and video mode. Nature w/o people.

Thanks,

Mark
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

DC30 Outdoors

Mark,

Just some rambling observations of my own tests and what I am using outside in video mode.

The one setting that I have found to interact with the other settings the most seems to be Pedestal. When shooting outside, I really like saturated vibrant images. I found that I could accomplish this to greater extent with Pedestal than Chroma. Negative Pedestal reduces the tonal range and produces a more contrasty image with more intense colors (if that’s what you are after) So pedestal seems to interact with Chroma level. Also a more contrasty image appears to be sharper, so Pedestal interacts with Detail setting as well. If you want a sharper image, this will assist, if not, you will have to turn down detail more than before you decreasing pedestal. I have also noticed that when I increase Pedestal (positive numbers) that black and greys are less neutral (or at least appear so) and when the pedestal is negative, the neutrals look more neutral. Once I started noticing how pedestal influences the other settings, I ran a whole bunch of tests based on different pedestal settings. I noticed that with a negative pedestal of –2 or there abouts, the footage looked more like the footage from the PDX-10 and DSR-570 I sometimes use at work.

Of course decreasing pedestal reduces detail in shadows, so if the light outside is contrasty to begin with, you may want to not decrease pedestal as much, but if it’s drab or more dreary outside, than this might help.

I notice to my own tastes that the DVC30 seems to tend toward green-ish sometimes, but I think I have noticed this more in movie mode with the different gamma curve more than video mode, and also more when it was overcast outside more so than in direct sun. But I shoot people in nature more than nature itself, so this might be different for you.

I also sometimes have had a hard time getting a good white-balance outside when its really really bright (maybe the iris and nd filters close in too much affecting color when the cam is pointing at something else and is more open, I don’t know) but I just generally white-balance off a Kodak Gray card. (on the gray side)

Here’s the two settings I have been using outside (the first one mainly) the second one seemed to remind me of my old GL1 footage, but I can’t remember why now.

Primary
Detail +1
Chroma +2 or +3
Phase +1
Temp +0
Pedestal –2 or –3

Secondary
Detail +2 or +3
Chroma +2 or +3
Phase +3
Temp +1
Pedestal –1 or -2

Let me know what you think or what you have been using
Brian
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks Brian,

I will try your setting tomorrow and see how they look.

Thanks,

Mark
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Brian,

What is the difference in white balancing from a grey card versus a white card ? I am curious because I have been always using a white card.

Thanks.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #13
Regular Crew

White Balance

Adam,

No difference, try both one after the other and you'll see you get the same result. I just have an easier time with gray when it's really bright because I usually shoot outside in manual mode but with auto exposure, so when using the gray card, the camera is at the same exposure it would be for the subject anyway.

Under low light, I find it easier to use the white card.
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant