DVX frame-rate question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Tourist

DVX frame-rate question

Hello, is it possible to get different frames rates (like 12P or 15P) other than 24P, 30P and 60i with the DVX100? Or is this a new feature exclusive to the 100A?

If anyone could explain a bit, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Thank you
Wes Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Neither of the camera models offer inherit 12 or 15p frame rates. However you can achieve 12p in post by setting your shutter speed to 1/24 sec. and shooting in 24p - then speed up the footage twice as fast (200% in a 24p timeline).

For 15p, you set the shutter speed to 1/30 sec., shoot in 30p, and speed the footage up to 160%
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the quick reply Preston. I have a DVX100 and suspected it wasn't possible.

I was actually more interested in shooting in something higher than 30P for a really nice fluid slow-motion effect when played back at 24P.

-Wes
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Slo-mo? I wondered if that's what you meant.

For super smooth: Shoot 30p, playback at 80%. This will give you a 25% reduction in speed - not dramatic but smooth.

For slower: Shoot 60i @ 120th/sec shutter, slow to 40% in 24p timeline. Also requires deinterlacing (or making full frame out of each field). This will result in softer images.

Or: 60i slowed 50% in a 60i timeline.

Any other percentage of slowdown in timeline will result in jittery (non-smooth) motion.
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM   #5
Tourist

I'll do some experiments later on and give it a try. The "jittery" slo-mo look you described is exactly what got me on this kick.

I wonder if the XL2 has more frame-rate options than the DVX? In the director's commentary for "28 Days Later" they mentioned that fast, "stutter" effect was created naturally by adjusting the frame-rate (or shutter speed?) on the XL1 to an insane rate. It didn't sound like something they did in post, but I may have mis-heard. Just a bit curious.

Thanks again.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

err. no..
the XL2 does not have any different frame rates to the DVX

although with teh coming of DVCproHD, im hoping that a faster frame rate will be possible this way we can get TRUE slowmo as opposed to electronically processed slowmo.

You havent mentioned what aplication youre using... if usuing Vegas5, u can easily go down to 10% with super mooth motion using the video supersampling envelope

It will also do the deinterlacing for you : )
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Wes
Frame rate and shutter speed are two totally unrelated things. Both can be changed independently of the other.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant