in-camera 3:2 Pull down & transfer to film? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 4th, 2002, 06:26 PM   #1
steve1271

in-camera 3:2 Pull down & transfer to film?

Okay, there's something I'm not getting...

If the 24p signal is captured and converted to an NTSC signal for recording and playback using the "in-camera 3:2 pulldown process" as the Panasonic site states, how will this affect an eventual transfer to film, if at all? Seems like some post work would have to be done to "undo" the pulldown before going to film.

Is there something I'm missing about this "in-camera 3:2 pulldown"?
Old October 5th, 2002, 12:46 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I'm a bit puzzled myself. Is it only converted via AV and S-video out? Or does the info stay intact via firewire out? Terrence, you're the expert. Can you explain this to us? Thanks.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 10:32 AM   #3
Space Hipster

Check Terrence's page for detail info, but yes the 3:2 pulldown and 2:3:3:2 pulldown are on all outputs.

Download the clips on the web to verify, but many users have already confirmed this.

Of course, firewire is the only method to consider using for film output.
Old October 7th, 2002, 01:43 PM   #4
aaronscool

If you are planning a film output, using the 24p "Standard" mode would not be advised. This mode applies the standard 3:2 pulldown which means you cannot go back to 24p without some form of recompression. This would both degrade your resolution to a certain degree but also might introduce some interlace artifacts where none need to exist.

The solution is to shoot in 24p "Advanced" mode which applies a 2:3:3:2 pulldown. With this method only the fifth frame is an interlaced frame the rest are full progressive frames. With the right software you can remove this pulldown easily and get back to native 24p without recompression, or damage to your true progressive images. This means you'll need to have a NLE capable of 24p editing (I'm going to be working on a FAQ for this soon) but you'll have your original unaltered 24 progressive frames a second for best transfer to film.
Old October 7th, 2002, 11:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey aaron, good to see you.

-Vinson
Vinson Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant