Stills that show warm colors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 8th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stills that show warm colors?

Hi!

Can anyone who has the cam put up some frame grabs that show how well it handles deep warm yellows, glowing warm colors, that kind of thing, in the various modes?

Someone else here said he got very warm yellows in 60i mode but not the other modes (without better lighting).

I'd love to see some stills of any attempts at catching rich warm glowing colors in ANY of the modes! Even if the thing can match or beat the PD150 in this respect only in 60i, then it may be a winner. If it can do it in the p modes, then GREAT!

If it can't do warm like the PD150, then BAD!

Anyone can post some unretouched stills, that would be really greatly appreciated and of true value.

Thanks a lot,

Blake
Blake Haber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know if this is what you are looking for since...I'm pretty much still a novice at Videography...

But I captured some stills off of one of my test clips. The clip was shot under Florescent lighting inside a grocery store with all the default settings on the Panasonic AG DVX100.

I used Quicktime to output the still images.

You can find it here:

http://madprojects.com/panasonic
Ted Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Daremo,

I replied to this in depth but my reply seems to have vanished. Did you ever see it?

Thanks a lot,

b
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

nope...didn't see it...
Old October 9th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<Didn't see it>>

In brief: Thank you! I really appreciate you posting those stills.

I am assuming that those roses were not that desaturated in real life, and that the colors in those various default modes are very washed out in that particular light, from your images. Is that a fair assumption? Or did those flowers actually look that desaturated in real life? No glow, no depth, that kind of thing?

If those flowers didn't look that washed out and you have a chance to adjust your settings so that you find you're able to get richer brighter colors of similar things, would you be willing to post those too?

Thanks VERY much for your time and effort,

Blake
Old October 9th, 2002, 01:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The flowers were plastic fake flowers.

The florescent lighting in the store was very washed out...I probably should just go outside and take some test shots.

I posted some more frame grabs this time with bottles at the same link.
Old October 10th, 2002, 12:11 AM   #7
donking!

How come the gain can't be adjusted in the progressive scan modes? Is there something about those modes that makes it difficult/impossible? Is Panasonic just being cheap? What's the deal?

Also, are there other things that don't work in progressive scan mode?
Old October 10th, 2002, 01:25 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Don,

Really? With my DVL9500s, the lower the light, the higher the grain---er, I mean gain. That's in progressive (no, not frame mode---progressive).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:24 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

<< I replied to this in depth but my reply seems to have vanished. Did you ever see it? >>

We haven't lost any posts that I'm aware of, nor have we deleted any... I think. When did you reply, and are you sure it was here? Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM   #10
donking!

My understanding is that on the DVX100 the gain adjustment only works in 60i (not in 24p or 30p). I was just wondering why Panasonic would design the camera this way.

I don't know about other cameras.
Old October 10th, 2002, 11:46 AM   #11
Space Hipster

No gain, no autofocus in progressive modes. But I never use autofocus or gain anyway.

The camera is very sensitive in low light, candlelight at 24P 1/24 looks fabolous and manual focus works wonderfully.

60i mode has autofocus, gain 3,9,12,18 db. I found the 12 & 18db too much even in near darkness at 1/60th. 18db at 1/8th in this cam would blow out the highlights in a pitch black room :)

I've seen lots of grumbling on 2-pop about autofocus, gain, digital zoom and the like.

But this a pro-cam built by Panasonics pro division. Experienced shooters used to film and pro cams will like this camera. Folks that prefer prosumer and consumer cams make not like it as it focuses on image quality and consumer friendly features.
Old October 10th, 2002, 12:35 PM   #12
donking!

I'm not grumbling, exactly, but why is there no gain or autofocus in progressive modes? If the camera already has those features with 60i, why shouldn't and doesn't it do them in progressive modes? I'm just wondering what the justification is. And I'm trying to understand if this is something intrinsic to progressive mode.
Old October 10th, 2002, 12:41 PM   #13
Space Hipster

Not sure, but my guess is the 3:2 pulldown and progressive modes introduces engineering issues that prevent these features from working. Panasonic has not said for sure and may not due to trade secret issues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant