"DVFilm Maker" audio sync question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 19th, 2002, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

"DVFilm Maker" audio sync question

Hi

I just wanted to hear from Marcus and others as well that did extensive tests with this promising app in conjunction with the Panasonic DVX100 if the fact that DVFilm Maker changes the audio rate from 48 000 to 48 048 to compensate for the NTSC 1% slower rate (in the 2:3:3:2 pulldown to true 24p operation) can cause a lost of sync between the audio and the image, especially with long projects like an hour or more.

It looks fine right now testing with short samples but I'm wandering if the sound conversion is full proof against this kind of problem which would surely be catastrophic for me.

Thanks
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 12:07 AM   #2
Contributor

David,

The playback rate is sped up from 23.976 ( which is 24 x 29.97/30) to exactly 24 frames/sec. The new audio rate of 48048 is chosen as approximation for 48000 x 24/23.976 = 48048.048048... and so has an error of about one part per million. That is a very small error and you could playback 12 hours before the audio goes significantly out of sync.

Of course you can also select the other mode which leaves the playback rate the same.
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 10:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the answer Marcus.

I do need to use the true 24fps and not the 23.976fps because it is meant to be blown to film later on. (also for NTSC use but this part is very insignificant so unless it means trouble to go from 24fps to 29,976fps I think I'll stick with this value).

My projects rarely go over 2 hours so if you say that I could notice a significant lost of audio sync at about 12 hours, than my guess is that at 2 hours it won't be noticeable... Those this sounds about right ? In the worst case scenario I guess I could split the final file in half.
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant