DVC30 or GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC30 or GL2?

Well, I don't know how to start my first post here.
However, I want to buy a 3ccd chip camera, something that will last for 5 years solid. I want something with few defects, as I probably wont be able to afford a tape deck if I buy a GL2 (tape mechanism problem). I'm unware of the panasonic DVC30, if it has problems (please inform me? and obviously all cameras could possibly have problems)

And with that I ask about warranty, do you think it'd be worth it to buy used if I'm on tight budget? I'm afraid to buy used purely because I don't know what I'm buying and I don't know anything about how warranty works.

Next, I want good sound. I don't mind buying pricey equipment as long as I know I'm getting something good, but I'm also not that advanced either. I'm just a kid.

Opinons please?

(wow, I put this in the wrong forum)

Last edited by Evan Strobel; May 16th, 2005 at 05:11 PM.
Evan Strobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Evan,

I would recommend the DVC-30 over the GL-2 unless you need the reach of the GL-2's 20x lens. I have owned both. My current cam is the DVC-30. After 62 hours of use it hasn't missed a beat. My GL-1 and GL-2 had been in the shop 2 times for head alignment issues. I had considered upgrading a while ago to the XL-2 but the the tape/head alignment issues of my former Canon cams left me aprehensive.

IMO the DVC-30 has more rugged construction (die-cast magnesium) vs. the very plastic Gl-2. When the DVC-30 came out I knew after handling it that it was the best for me. Also, it is more compact and easy to carry.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help Mark.
It actually swayed my opinon quite a bit, I'm curious - if you have any footage of the DVC in action? I haven't had any luck.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Evan,

I own the DVC30 and second Mark's comments. I have never owned a GL2 but have seen them and held them.

The DVC30 is a very good camera. If you want good sound, I reccomned buying the optional XLR adaptor and a good quality microphone. The DC30 built-in mic is not very good (not bad, just not very good if sound is important).

Since the DVC30 is a relatively new camera, you could take your chances on buying a used unit. However you have to consider how much money you will save, over the piece-of-mind of buying a brand new unit. Personally I never buy used electronic equipment but that is just my opinion. If you buy new, you could buy an extended warranty. For example at B&H Photo, the extended warranty is $149.95 or $37 per year. $37 per year is pretty good I think.

Decisions, decisions.....
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Wrangler

Evan, I could move your thread but would you want it in the DVC30 or GL2 forum? :)

I'll second or third the vote for the DVC30 over the GL2. If the DVC30 had a HQ widescreen mode I would have chosen it over the FX1 for its low light performance and optional XLR inputs.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you, - yes please move it - if you'd like.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i wouldnt be so enthusiastic bout the DVC30. I have it 4 a few months and the mo i use it the mo it disappoints me. I think pic of this cam is undersaturated and not exactly very sharp. This is perhaps due to its lo pixel count that is undersampled or what have u. From features and functionality point of view the DVC30 shines, but does it really matter if one not sutisfied with how his video looks?
Mind u i dont know how the GL2 does in PQ department, and from the few screen grabs i 've seen so far i dont think it fairs much better than the DVC30. But i've learn long ago not to judge the video quality of any cam from its screen grabs cuz we percieve static and movin images differently in out brains .
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Mike,

By tweaking the scene file settings, one can acheive a more color saturated picture. I have played around with this quite a bit.

As far as comparing it to a GL2, Mark Williams owned both so he would be the guy who would know.

Adam
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #9
New Boot

I know about 10 people who have a GL2, and only one with a DVC30, but the Gl2 people all have had problems with there cameras, even though its only one person who has the DVC30, he has had not one problem occur with it, but im concerned about the quality of the audio with the dvc30, Alot of people have recomended getting the XLR adapter and a good quality mic for the dvc30, im getting my dvc30 very soon hopefully...do you think that i should get the xlr adapter and a mic, or do you think that i would be fine without, i mostly make skate movies, the occasional interview...but the interviews are not very serious, because i have not heard to much about how great the audio is on this camera, please help me
if you do reccomend the XLR adapter and a mic, coudl someone please help me out iwth a mic, because im not to great with all the audio stuff
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #10
Trustee

Jordan,

For the type interviews you are doing IMO the Rode Videomic or appropriate hand-held mic with mini plug adapter would do fine. I would try this first before the XLR adaptor to see if it meets your needs. It met mine just fine.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams
Jordan,

For the type interviews you are doing IMO the Rode Videomic or appropriate hand-held mic with mini plug adapter would do fine. I would try this first before the XLR adaptor to see if it meets your needs. It met mine just fine.

Regards,

Mark
I'd use the shotgun mic for the interviews only. While he is filming the skating he can take it off and go with the built in mic. If he uses the shotgun, he may not be able to pick up the sound of the wheels and the skater as a whole. The shotgun will be too directional. Also, if he is moving, the shotgun is extra weight. If he can at all, I'd try to buy a seperate stereo mic that has polar pattern adjustments on it(stereo wide).
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

DVC30 or GL2

Wow, just the post I have been looking for, being in the exact same positon. I need to pick one before these rebates are up in Sept. and these prices are as low as they will probably go before they start discontinuing them. I looked at the JVC DV3000u and the Sony PDX10 but B&H are out of stock of both already. Now it's either the GL2 or the DVC30. I've used the GL2 several times which sways me to that, but then again many of the people on the forum will agree that for some reason everyone has one. Which then sways everyone who doesn't have one to get one (for some reason Canon got the marketing strategy right on their end).
Now, from what I've researched here on the site......
The GL2, there the tape mechanism problem.
And DVC30, there are major audio probelms (noises, hissing)
Here's my dilemma, obviously one should always go for a cam that suits their particular needs. In my case I will be doing event and music vidoegraphy and music videos, so I need a.)good low light and zoom, and b.) best overall picture quality.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Price is always more important, and right now the DVC30 is cheaper, so does everyone who has a DVC30 agree that they like it so far (the few of you out there)? Because I have used a GL2 several times and found no problems, but I know Panasonic is trustworthy as well. Let's see what responses I get........

(Or should I just go ahead and take out the $1200 loan that I would need to suck it up and buy a DVX-100a)
Although I feel it might be too manual for me...meaning unnecassary options.

Last edited by Chris Scharff; August 27th, 2005 at 08:20 PM.
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #13
New Boot

I've had my DVC30 for just about a year now, no problems at all. It's a well-made versatile camera with good features...and it produces excellent video. I have not noticed any of the audio problems that have been discussed, I have used both the built-in and optional AG100 mics.

My only Canon camera experience is with a consumer camcorder (Elura) and a digital still camera (G2).

Hope this helps!

Good Luck...
Mark Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Folickman
Mike,

By tweaking the scene file settings, one can acheive a more color saturated picture. I have played around with this quite a bit.

Adam

Adam,

can you share some of your scene file settings and the ideas behind them?

Last edited by Stefano Costantini; August 29th, 2005 at 04:40 PM.
Stefano Costantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #15
Regular Crew

To All Dvc30 Users...

Oh, and I almost forgot to ask. To everyone that has a DVC30, what are your opinions about the removable handle. To me eyes it seems a lot higher than the GL2's and I noticed there are two mounts on it (the bottom one obviously being for the Panasonic XLR adapter) but are there any other accesories that will be able to utilize that undermount or is it useless unless you purchase the aforementioned adapter?
Also, I've heard the size differences betwen the DVC30 and the GL2, does anyone have any pictures of the two side by side?
Thanks!!
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant