DVX-100 to demo at lafcpug at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:42 PM   #1
LA FCP UG

DVX-100 to demo at lafcpug

It will be Compositing and Effects Night, plus a demo of the new Panasonic DVX 100 60i/24p Mini DV Camcorder at the next gathering of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group, this Wednesday, Oct 23 at the LA Film School in Hollywood, beginning at 6:45PM.

Here's the agenda:
DV Companion author Phil Hodgetts will show off the World Premiere of the "Troubleshooter for Final Cut Pro," the most comprehensive trouble shooting tool ever created for Final Cut Pro.

Next up, DV Creators Josh Mellicker will give a thorough presentation on FCP's compositing tools exploring options for layering multiple tracks of video, graphics and titles to create multilayered masterpieces of motion. Some secrets from the "Secrets of Final Cut Pro" CD will be revealed.

Phil Hodgetts will then take the stage again and demonstrate that, yes you can get clean and crisp titles the "First Time and Everytime" using FCP's title generator.

After the break, Videographer Frank Rohmer, who has spent over a month with the new DVX-100, will attempt to tell you everything you need to know about this new camcorder, including image quality, audio, menus, and answer once and for all if this new camcorder is indeed the Holy Grail of Mini DV. In addition we will show you footage previously shot with this camera in all modes, and have a live model on stage which we will use to project onto the theatre screen to gauge image quality.
Film Editor Dan Fort will join Frank and show us how FCP will handle this new camera, plus show us how, using Cinema Tools, you can convert the not only 2-3 pulldown but also the 2-3-3-2 pulldown for those wanting to finish on Film and 24p HD or even better, work with 24 progressive frames per second for quicker and higher quality compositions over NTSC interlaced video.

Plus we will have 3 awesome show and tells, another round of Stump the Gurus, and of course, World Famous raffle, with total prizes worth over $4,000.

Doors will open at 6:00PM and yes there will be a radio in the lobby for Game 4 of the World Series.

For details and directions to the LA Film School, go here.

http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html

Get there early if you want a good seat. This meeting is going to be huge.
Michael Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:09 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Michael, you guys should tape this session! Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:15 PM   #3
LA FCP UG

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Michael, you guys should tape this session! Thanks, -->>>

We do. All meetings are taped and available on DVD.

http://www.lafcpug.org/store.html#anchor1718186
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:24 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Michael -- there you have it, folks... if you're not in town because you're halfway across the country, or even the planet as is the case with many of our members, you can still check this out. The next best thing to being there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

But will you tape it with the AG-DVX100??? ;)
Bradley Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:48 PM   #6
LA FCP UG

Good idea but we only got XL1s to do the job.

:-)

Now if Panasonic would give us one.....
Old October 23rd, 2002, 05:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Maybe another member has one...

If so, maybe he/she would be so kind to bring it along and tape it for you ;O)

-Rodger
Rodger Marjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 08:43 AM   #8
Contributor

Hello Michael,

I had somewhat of a tangential question:

What means have you found best for producing the short runs (I'm assuming) of DVDs for your meetings.

Is the demand controllable enough that you are just burning copies as needed? Or have you had to step up to replication?

I'm in the midst of a project that only needs about 250 discs (many more than I want to be burning - but about 1/4 of the minimum for most replication houses) and I was curious what your experience has been given that lafcpug has been cranking these out for a while now.

Thanks for any insights you may have - sorry for temporarily hi-jacking the thread,

Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 08:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

How do I get a copy?

Sounds like lots of great info.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 09:38 AM   #10
LA FCP UG

You can order from the lafcpug Store. DVD usually ships about 2 1/2 weeks after meeting. Past meetings are also on sale.

http://www.lafcpug.org/store.html#anchor1718186

Be sure you read the FAQ so you know exactly what you are getting.

mike
Old October 23rd, 2002, 09:45 AM   #11
LA FCP UG

What means have you found best for producing the short runs (I'm assuming) of DVDs for your meetings.

There are no means really. 1000 and out is pretty much it. Just not cost effective to run less, thus we have several hundred coasters laying about

Is the demand controllable enough that you are just burning copies as needed? Or have you had to step up to replication?

Sales on DVDs are not what we expected. Certain months are better than others cause of content, but no we can't control demand. Subscription sales help a bit but not enough folks subscribe.

We are lucky in that Moviola sponsors the DVDs and has the resources to author and made a heck of a deal with a replicator

I'm in the midst of a project that only needs about 250 discs (many more than I want to be burning - but about 1/4 of the minimum for most replication houses) and I was curious what your experience has been given that lafcpug has been cranking these out for a while now.

Go with that 250. Your lucky to find anyone willing to replicate 250. Duplicate is another subject

Thanks for any insights you may have - sorry for temporarily hi-jacking the thread,

good luck

mike
Old October 23rd, 2002, 10:27 AM   #12
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant