Sony DSR-PDX 10P, Panasonic AG_DVx100 or Canon XL1S? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 23rd, 2002, 04:33 AM   #1
neuromatik

Sony DSR-PDX 10P, Panasonic AG_DVx100 or Canon XL1S?

I need to buy a camcorder and I would like to know which one you recommend between the Sony DSR-PDX 10P, the Panasonic AG_DVx100 and the Canon XL1S, which are the main differences and if they can edit with a NLE or does this give any problems.
I would also like to know what magneto o videowalkman you recommend.

Thanks.

Angel
Old October 23rd, 2002, 05:37 AM   #2
Wrangler

Which one to recommend? It's difficult as it depends on your intended use, prior experience (with a camcorder), budget and personal preference. All 3 are good cameras with its own strengths and weaknesess. The new Sony PDX has DVcam mode, the smallest footprint and CCD size. The Canon XL1s has a interchangeable lens, good track record and a slightly softer picture. The DVX100 is endowed with many sought-after features, notably, the 24/30p modes (for the NTSC model). It is unproven and the PAL version is still unavailable.

All three records on standard DV25 format and works with any NLE that supports the DV standard.
Terrence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:39 AM   #3
neuromatik

Choose one!

I have to choose between those cameras. Which one would you choose?
I´m going to film and then edit in a Powerbook G4.

Thanks.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:46 AM   #4
Warden

Hi,

This guy went through the same thing. Read what was said to him. He sounds alot like you and your situation.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=4452

That should help, but if you still have questions post back.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I would get a gl2 over the sony x10.

vx/pd150 is better than the x10

I prefer the xl1S's 3 WB registers, 1/4 stop exposure increments over the sony 150's 1/2 stops. The canon needs to be focused using the push AF button, tested and presets made for the best image, the sony's better out of the box and on AF continuously. I'm blessed to use them along with a pd100a (which I hear is better in low light than the x10?).

I'm almost always on tripods and I use digital 8 walkman's via firewire (the camcorder is now used only as a camera head). They are great, and cost less than the miniDV version. I use straight 8mm tapes, so far only maxell gx-mp's and they've been wonderful. D8 is along the line of dvcam/dvcpro, but no locked audio and marketed as consumer, so it's a secret best buy, IMO. Get the LCD to "match" your monitor and now it's a cheap but relatively effective portable monitor. Saved me often.

MiniDV walkman is about $300, US, more.

I'd get a TRV30 over a miniDV walkman as you can use it as a second cam as well as a playback device. More bang for the buck.
Old October 27th, 2002, 06:38 AM   #6
neuromatik

thanks!

I need to buy a camera between those, and a video walkman. What I want to do is film and then edit in a Powerbook G4 Titanium. I have to buy a software too, between Avid xpress Dv or Final Cut, and an external drive. I don't go to pay anything, so the money is not too much problem but I have to buy the best I can; please tell me what would you buy.....

Thanks in advance.

Angel.

PD.- Sorry if my english is not very good;)
Old October 27th, 2002, 07:08 AM   #7
Warden

I can only tell you that for the type of things I shoot and edit and the work my clients bring to me the Canon XL1s is my choice. You may be shooting entirely different subjects and projects and one of the other cameras may (or may not) be a better choice for you. I suggest reading more about the cameras here and then go to a store and try them out. You may not like the ergonomics of of one of the models. Choose what feels best and best fits your needs and style of shooting.

I am a long time Avid users and for the last two years I have been using FCP for the majority of my projects. I recommend it over Avid Xpress DV 3.5.1 based on price and the feature set for the type of things I edit.

Jeff
Old October 27th, 2002, 12:48 PM   #8
neuromatik

Problem with XL1s

Somebody told me that the XL1 has a problem with the focus and the sony dvx 100 is more professional than Canon camera and about the software, I've read that Avid has better color correction and more real time effects than F.C...
And ... what videowalkman do you recommend me?

Thanks.

Angel
Old October 27th, 2002, 06:42 PM   #9
Warden

The focus issues are well documented. These articles and many other can be found on DV Info here http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles.htm

These cover the focusing issues with the XL1. Remember, manual lenses are available also.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article12.htm

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article19.htm

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article26.htm

The FCP vs. Avid debate is an on going one. I have used FCP for about 2 years and I'm a certified Avid editor since '94. Xpress does have RT effects. However, for me and the type of things I edit that is not a big factor. FCP handles most of my color work just fine and I back it up with several plug ins. I would be surprised if FCP 4 (rumor has it ready around the first of the year) didn't whip Xpress. Xpress DV 3.5 is pretty buggy. Go to the Avid forum ans start reading. A patch was released last week (3.5.1) but i haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I don't use a Walkman, so I can't help you there.

Jeff
Old October 27th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #10
Trustee

Based on what i've read you are not ready to buy any camara yet. Spending this kind of money you should know what you want without asking others. Asking advice is one thing but asking others to make the big decision is foolhardy.

My advice is to go to all of the suppliers and try as many cameras as you can. Get a short list and then rent one if necesary. Many suppliers will credit you the rental fees if you buy a camera. It's best to have discussed price beforehand for obvious reasons

The DSR-PDX 10P and the Panasonic AG_DVx100 aren't even on the same page.

Compare the DVX100. Xl1S, Vx2k/PD150 and the JVC 300U. They are all 1/3' chip cameras and all the top of the line so far as prosumer cams go.

Beware of other peoples opinions, the only one that counts is yours. There are alot of vaporcam experts out there (people that have never owned a cam or for that matter never used one). get out and try some, the dealers will be more helpfull than you realize.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2002, 09:39 PM   #11
New Boot

And now the JVC DV5000

Just as I am ready to make a decision to add a second camera (the Panasonic) I have found out about the DV5000. While higher priced, it offers a lot more but is a lot heavier. Any thoughts on taking this kind of jump?
Thanks
Stephen
Stephen Barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 01:35 AM   #12
Warden

Hi Stephen,

Weight is definitely a factor the older you get. I left Betacam a few years ago because of the weight (and many of my clients didn't like the expense). I can't emphasize enough the weight factor. I've over 20 years of good, hard, field experience, carrying heavy loads. The end result, early this spring I had knee surgery. The physical therapy caused a hernia, got that repaired. Now, my right shoulder is aching (the one I carry my tripod on). I'm guessing torn rotar cuff.

My point is, I didn't abuse myself or play rough sports. It's from years of lugging cameras, lights, backdrops, stands etc. The XL1 and it's successors have probably extended my shooting career 10, maybe 15 years. Don't under estimate the weight factor. You've already mentioned it, so you've noticed it and it won't get any lighter. It will get heavier with all the extras, mic, battery packs, matte box etc.

The specs on the JVC are impressive. I have a client who is considering one (leaning very heavily towards it) and will make a decision in the next week or two. I may get to shoot with it before my surgery and if I do, I'll post a report. Are your clients ready for the bump in prices? Better equipment is great and all but this is still a business.

Jeff
Old October 28th, 2002, 05:31 AM   #13
Major Player

here is a fun choice :)

I got offered a jvc dv500 (pal) xdemo, heads never used just been on plugged into a monitor for shop purposes for the same price as a discounted xl1s.

The tripod i was to buy would handle both cameras, it was a, i forgot the exact code, i think miller ds10 head with appropriate legs to suit it, correct me here if i am wrong.

Now i am torn between the frame mode which i am fond of, or the obviously superior image capturing capabilities of the jvc.

Ohh the joys,

i have a xl1s here which i have borrowed while a friend is overseas and pretty much love the camera.... so choices choices... ohh the fun.

kerm

chime in anyone if you want to make my choice easier and offer some advice.
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:04 AM   #14
Warden

What type of projects do you shoot? If you do a lot of field work you might look to a heavier tripod. The Miller adequatly covers the XL1, but I feel is a little too light for the JVC if you do much field work.

Picking between Frame Mode and better picture quality is dependent on what you shoot. Frame mode has a less video look. Not all my clients want that look.

Jeff
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:17 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
What type of projects do you shoot? If you do a lot of field work you might look to a heavier tripod. The Miller adequatly covers the XL1, but I feel is a little too light for the JVC if you do much field work.

Picking between Frame Mode and better picture quality is dependent on what you shoot. Frame mode has a less video look. Not all my clients want that look.
I shoot almost always short movies, with time to setup and block and so on, the run and gun style would be not very common for me.

I know what you mean by the less video look, it is a difficult decision, what is driving me against running at the offer for the camera is that as soon you get a camera like a dv500e i am stuck with replacing it's quite poor standard lens, and much more expensive periferals, such as heavier tripod and so on.

I mean i can get a body w/evf rather cheap actually that has only had demo purpose use. And then add a lens. What i did like about it was that it had a lcd display built in, and obviously the big baby chips. Also it does provide phantom power to the xlr atachments and locked audio.

What i don't like is the way expensive battery packs i will have to add, it has no analog inputs to convert to digital, the weight that makes me have to buy a more expensive tripod and the fact it is a slightly older designed camera. The 5000 seems to be my dream camera it fixes everything wrong with this one, but again i could most likely not afford it, and it is not comming to the good old au for a while yet.

of course because i am shooting in pal post interpolation down to 25p does not have the inherent problems that ntsc has, because i am not dealing with tricky pulldowns and so on. But then that taxes my time and my computer resources.

ahhh it is so hard to even consider what to lay my hard earned money down, but i have to do it, i actually need this camera to complete all my various projects for my masters degree and quality of picture is a very big deciding factor when my professor sits down and wants an impression put upon her.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant