In the market for a dvx100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #1
New Boot

In the market for a dvx100

Hi everyone
I have been reading about the DVX100 for a month or so and have come to the conclution that this is the camera for me! However it is a little pricey. i have been looking at these on ebay, do they look dodgy to anyone here?

i am a bit nervise about spending this much on ebay. Dose anyone know of a another place to get a used dvx100 in Australia? I am from Melbourne Australia.

the other camera i have been looking at is the pdx10. they also seem to be hard to find secondhand. The camera is for mainly making short films. so 24p would be really good but i doubt i can afford it.

is there another camera that gives a good film look?

any advice would be really good.
- Joel
Joel Loxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Joel you could get 2 brand new PDX10s for a little more than 1 new DVX.Second hand cameras scare me . The hour readings could be low but you n ever know if the camera was dropped or just plain abused. Its best if you can actually test the cam before buying.

You can get a new PDX cheaper than a usedDVX also. Is 24p really that important to you? There are post options to achieve this effect all though it wont be true progressive but it will still give you the look you are going for. Lighting is key here too. I just had my first experience with a dvx the other day(i own the pdx10) and the real magic happened when the guy kicked on his arri lights. they do have a beautiful image thats for sure.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I would personally take 1 DVX over 10PDX10s, but I guess that is just me. There is more than 24p to this camera.
Back to the question, DON"T BUY A DVX ON EBAY. YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF.
There is no way to tell what condition the camera really is in, you won't get a warranty if it is used, and you may even get a grey market camera. DOn't get the "extra" accesories that they offer, the lenses, the tripods, the filters, they are all crap.
The only way I would buy a used camera is if I could do it in person and actually hold the camera.
Good luck to you, and support the sponsors, it really is the best way of going about getting a camera.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Yes secondhand is scary. thanks for your advise i will not go though ebay naw. i found a place yesterday which is selling a few ex-rental dvx100 for 4000 - 4500. the one i saw had 333 hours total. i never thought of the fact that it might have been abused. What should i be looking for what i see the camera? there where no cosmatic problems, and there was no big crack in the glass that i could see and it terned on. hmmmm, it looked good to me, but i am new at this.

I also like the charm of the pdx10, and i have heard that they are not too bad in low light as you might think. i will keep looking for a good pdx10 outlet aswell. But at this stage i think i am leaning to the dvx100, despite the crippleing price tag.

i hope to get one by the end of the month. i will keep you informed.
Old June 11th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Joel, you could buy one second hand from someone from these boards with a high number of posts? That should be pretty reliable, and you could always go and check if the person is not to far from you in which condition the cam is.
Good luck!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:18 AM   #6
New Boot

B&H

Has anyone from Australia bought a camera from B&H? i hear thay are good but i am not shore about buying it from overseas. are there any hidden costs? the camera i am interested in is a Refurbished DEMO- AG-DVX100AE "PAL".
Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:32 AM   #7
New Boot

How long do they live?

Me agean,
I have just found a ex-rental DVX100 (not a) for sale for $4000 Australian. It comes as with 5 batts and a road case (big silver case). However it has 959 hrs on it. Is this a lot? how long is it befor the heads need replaceing, or somthing?
I guess what i am asking is, What is the expected life of a dvx100?

Last edited by Joel Loxton; June 22nd, 2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM   #8
New Boot

I got in touch with Panasonic, and they put me through to a service place. I talked with a tech dude and ha said that it depends on how often heads have been cleaned and what tapes have been used and such and such, but for a guess, they would last minnimum 3000 Hrs. but with care they could last to over 5000.
Then i said that this camera was a 100, (not the 100a) and he said that 4000 was a bit expencive.
So i will continue my search for a used DVX100a. it's out there somewhere!

Thanks agean for all your help
- Joel
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

4000 to 4500 dollars?
Isn't that very expensive? Isn't that the price of a new one...?
I don't know if Australia uses another dollar or coint so maybe I'm just wrong.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM   #10
Major Player

$4000 to $4500 AUS = $3000 - 3500 US$

Thank Dashboard's currency converter, not me.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:17 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Just ordered my DVX from B&H in NYC this morning. I should have it tomorrow morning! WOOHOO!
Jay Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM   #12
Tourist

DVX for Sports videos

How is the DVX for fast action shooting? I have been going back and forth between the GL2 and the DVX 100a and I believe I will spend the extra money for the DVX. Anyone have any suggestions on shooting sports with the DVX?
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:12 AM   #13
New Boot

Hi Jay, good for you! i have also just descided to buy the DVX100. I will pick it up on monday! Ha-Zar!!!!!
Joel Loxton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant