Potential DVC30 Buyer: sales pitch please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 21st, 2005, 10:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Potential DVC30 Buyer: sales pitch please

Hello everybody.

I have been searching through these forums for the past few days, reading about the GL2 and the DVC30. I have read about the numerous comparisons between the two, and it is clear that the DVC30 is the preferred camera over the potentially problematic Canon. Of course, I found this out AFTER I purchased a GL2 from B&H on Friday.

I will mostly be using the camera for shooting short films (I don't really care about clear-scan). My plan is to send the GL2 back in exchange for the DVC30.

I've read that with the proper tweaking, one can get the "GL2 Look" with a DVC30. If this is the case, I would not hesitate to buy the '30. But I've read that the DVC30 doesn't have dedicated buttons for shutter, aperture, and focus. This concerns me as I will be adjusting exposure manually.

How easy is it do change the settings on the camera? Is it possible to assign these functions to the user buttons? Also, how crucial is a ND filter? This is the only mark against the DVC30 in my book, though I'm willing to buy an external filter.

In short, how easy is it to control the picture on the DVC30? Can these functions be assigned to user buttons? How effective are the picture controls (ie Detail, Chroma Level etc.)? And last but not least, is the lack of ND filter something to fret over?

Sorry about the long post, but I'm not going to drop 2 grand on just anything.

Thanks in advance: from what I've read already, these forums are extremely useful.
Doug Ansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM   #2
New Boot

samples

Oh yeah, one more thing.

Does anybody have any DVC30 samples that I can look at? Despite my efforts to track some footage down, I have not had any luck.

Thanks!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Major Player

i love my dvc30, but then i'm not an expert...
can you use a dv stream from final cut?
it'll be short since it will not be compressed.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM   #4
New Boot

Kevin,

I have final cut express, so I think that should work. I would be very interested to see some raw footage.

Thanks!
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i have some grabs from the DVC30 footage. MOst of them shot in cinegamma and a few in the normal mode - scene file 1

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tomapete/
and
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tomapete20/

Personally, im sorta ambivalent bout this cam but i have no idea if its better than the GL2. As for controling exposure then yea - you can (and should ) control it while shooting if in manual mode. As far as i know the only significant thing that the DVC30 lacking vs the GL2 is the manual access to ND filters (correct me if im wrong). Im planning to do a shootout this or next weekend btwn the DVC30 and the VX2K so check the above sites for updates and new comparisons.

Good luck with the new cam
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Mike, The extensive low light shots were very helpful. I had an opportunity to test out the GL2 and I wasn't very impressed with the color accuracy (or lack thereof). I'm looking forward to getting the DVC30.

If anybody has any video clips from the DVC30, I would much appreciate them.

Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Still Need Video

Doug,
Would you still like to see some video. Let me know and I will send you some. I really do not have a way to post it to the internet so i can email you, but do not want to bog down your email if not necessary.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

You can upload at Rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.de/
Michele Coser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

send it with...

I always use yousendit.com, when I need to send a large file via email. It's worked out well for me for a while now.
Nathan Chaszeyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:52 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Gl2 Vs Dvc30

I have never seen GL2 footage. I don't feel I need to. I work with the DVC60 and Sony VX2100.

DVC60 is comparable to the Sony in normal light. Does that tell you anything?

The GL2 is said to be have a cheap feel from its plastic housing, and the footage, most who know say, is inferior.

You already know the answer to your question. You said "...it is clear that the DVC30 is the preferred camera over the potentially problematic Canon."

If you are not sure, the only way to go is the Sony VX2100 or a DVX100A.

The DVC30 is not meant to be a professional, manually operated cam. That is clear. Yes, you can make adjustments, but many of them have to be done through the menu.

The GL2 is an older model cam, I wouldn't touch it.

I have gone through the same indecision you are facing, so I sympathize with your dilemma...you are just fearful of making a bad decision. Don't blame you. The DVC30/60 is just a flat out better camera...but it will never be a DVX100.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; July 4th, 2005 at 09:42 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks for everyone's responses: I recieved the DVC30 about a week ago and I am very happy with the camera. Its quite a pleasant change from my old Sony digital 8. I'm sure this new camera will see a lot of use.

Thanks again!
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #12
New Boot

DVC30 Controls

Doug,

Hope you are enjoying your DVC30. I loved mine until I listened to the sound very critically and heard some noises I didn't like. It's been at the Panasonic service center for three weeks. They agree there is a problem, but need advice from Panasonic Japan. I describe/complain about this in a different post.

As far as the controls: between the zoom rocker control which has GREAT feel, manual focus on the lens ring, manual iris on the multi-function dial, hold-menu button-for-sound-adjustment on the multi-function dial, zoom autofocus on a user button, and manual white balance on another user button, I have quick access to all the controls I normally need while shooting.

Sure, you have to go deep into the "Scene File" settings for color adjustments, etc, but at least a lot of adjustments are there. It would be REALLY nice to be able to change Scene files on the fly with a dial.
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #13
New Boot

Steve, Sorry to hear about the audio problem: its a shame that such a nice piece of gear could have problems.

I'm not sure if this is the what you are experiencing, but I've heard that the DVC30 has a bad headphone hiss problem:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...highlight=hiss

Well, good luck getting your baby fixed. It's hard to imagine life without it.
Doug Ansel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant