Does it make sense to buy a DVX at this point? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does it make sense to buy a DVX at this point?

With the HVX on the horizion, I'm starting to feel like this camera is borderline obsolete.

My plans are to shoot independent dramas, and perhaps some docs.

Would I be better off to save my money and wait for the next wave of cameras?

I was this so close to buying one, and now I'm reading about the HVX, and even the XL2.

Man, this is hard!

Have I missed the DVX boat?
Matt Ramphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Skyonic New York

no contest

i will buying my 3rd dvx this summer, its hard to comapare a $3,000 dollar camera to a 10,000 camera, even if all you shoot is dv and for get about the p2 fiasco, is the extra $7 grand worth it for the native 16:9 chips, me think not, in fact i would rather buy two dvxs plus mics and lights tripods for the price of one snorkle cam that might be out sometime next year,

if your looking into getting the jvchd or sony or even the xl2 thats whole other story with many valid points going either way...

i think that the jvc hd with a nice sharp wide lens + a good tripod makes a very lustfull kit, and i would wait the month or so if i could and get that over the xl2
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I think Panny is realeasing a 100b model soon as well so i dont think the cam will be obsolete. Its the price of the P2 cards that drive the cam towards the 10 grand range. If you need the cam now buy it. I just bought a DVX a few weeks ago and kick myself for not getting one sooner. I switched from Sony and couldnt be happier all though i loved my VX2k.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Wrangler

Some time ago Jan Crittenden from Panasonic mentioned the upcoming 100b model. If this is true then it sounds like there won't be a lot of difference. See the following:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....7&postcount=18

Which is part of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=38727
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #5
Trustee

The DVX has a large and vibrant community, it wont be dead anytime soon. Until the P2 workflow gets solved in REAL WORLD situations, the cost of upgrading is unknown but certainly prohibitive for many at first. It is my understandinf as well that the 100b is simple a "green" or environmentally friendly 100a....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Major Player

I just got one! Love it and it feels good!
/Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm just getting doubtful as the time comes to make a decision.

And does anyone know if there is any possibility that the 100b will shoot in true 16:9? According to that other thread, no... but maybe somebody knows something?
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Nobody knows more than Jan Crittenden -- she's the product manager for the DVX in the US.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #9
Inner Circle

hmm.. maybe a 100b would be a tape based HDV model? or Maybe an SD 16:9 version of the HVX?? or maybe it makes a coffee for me while it captures??
WHo knows.. but as mentioned, the DVX wont die for a long time yet.. look at how long the XL1's lasted for......not to mention the PD units..

There will alwyas be a market for SD cameras.. until the time comes where 80% of the public market have the means to watch HD...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Skyonic New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ramphal
And does anyone know if there is any possibility that the 100b will shoot in true 16:9? ?

100% it will NOT have 16:9 native chips...

dvx B, as mentioned, improves on the A model only after you turn the camera permanently off...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I bought an XL1s last october, when the XL2 was out, from someone from the boards. Okay it was also for budget reasons, but the cam which is almost 4 years old now still shoots gorgeous pictures.
As somebody already said: if you need one now, buy one. If you can wait, wait.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Are you ready to shoot your indipendent dramas and docs or do you just want a camera?

If your not ready for that leap then save and wait. But don't let the prospect of a new camera hold you back especially when content is king anyway. Because a year after the HVX we're gonna hear about something else on the horizon.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Its not so much that I need one right now. I just feel like the longer I put off comitting to a camera, the more unlikely it is that I will ever get any of my ideas actually shot.
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #14
Major Player

Understand.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sounds like you want the HVX. PErhaps spend this time doing massive pre and prep for you work?
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant