Spent time with the DVX100, my review. by Vinson Watson - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 6th, 2002, 04:57 AM   #16
DIGIXLDV

The DVX100 is sure a cool camera. But the lack of manual lens option really sucks. I'm just hopping canon comes out with a XL2 with better chips , 24p and keep the modular form factor. Can't wait for that.
As for Texas women being the most beautiful women on earth, they sure are hot, I've been there. But not the hottest on the earth. The brazilian and spanish (not mexican but really from Spain) are the hottest in my opinion. The italians come right next. I've been in those countries and believe me, the women are very HOT.
Old December 8th, 2002, 02:37 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Traditionally, Canon prosumer cameras use Panny CCDs (that where FRAME mode came from). IF Panasonic sells out the DVX100 CCDs, they may end up in the XL2... (I believe the DVC10 and DVC15 CCDs are in the GL1.)

Even if that were to happen, I highly doubt that the Canon camera would have the same great image controls as the DVX100. Gamma, Luminence-level-detection, matrix controls, chroma phase, and Chroma level, are all features that are usually lacking in other prosumer cams.

You can be assured that any Canon camera would have AF and GAIN control though. (even in faux progressive) And if you NEED those features, maybe you don't need the other image controls anyway.....
Mark Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 05:58 AM   #18
Warden

Panasonic raising the bar to the level of the DVX100 forces the other players, Sony and Canon, to at least improve their features sets to the level of the DVX100. If they don't, they will certainly lose market shares, or worse, leave the market segment. Canon, having traditionally been the poster child for the DV indie film maker market, will have to beat the DVX100 or give up the segment. I'm sure Canon will up the ante and produce the DVX100 killer. But if they don't, Sony certainly will.

I think they both will announce new cameras in the first half of next year. They can't afford to give the DVX100 too much of a lead. PMA is in March and NAB is in April. Either, could be possible targets for announcing new cameras. So, stay tuned.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 08:59 PM   #19
New Boot

Sony will probably not come out with anything soon (first of the year) at the price range of the DVX100 because that would totally destroy their sales for the PD150 and VX2000. As long as they are still making money off those they would be dumb to bring something out that would kill their own product. They would only do it if they really had to...which probably would lead to a quick send off of a faulty cam. Now Canon on the other hand...maybe they will release an XL2...but still you have to imagine that it will have its tradeoffs too (won't be significantly better then the dvx100...it will just draw the canon followers). Remember...some functions were left off because of money issues. Panasonic could of added a lot more the the camera but they wanted to keep it under $4,000 (Which I am glad they did!!!). The camera also has the ability to be upgraded through the internet meaning that some features (ie, pushfocus on progressive) may be enabled down the road. If you wait for something better you are taking a risk when you have a definite winner right now.

Just my thoughts...
Adam Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2002, 11:05 AM   #20
Inner Circle

This camera is already affecting pd150 sales. The problem for Sony and others, even if they announce at NAB it will be another 5 to 6 months before shipping, unless they have something up their sleeve. They will probably discontinue the PD150 if they announce a product similar to the dvx100. Personally I think Sony has been screwing over everyone for quite some time. They have the largest, best funded R&D on the planet. Why they don't already have a good affordable progressive camcorder is anybodies guess.
IMHO Sony got arrogant and lazy and are riding on their reputation. Be interesting to see how they respond.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #21
New Boot

I agree. I personally don't think Sony or anyone else will come out with something (that will stand up to the DVX) until this summer at the earliest. And when they do put something out, everyone is going to be speculating on when they 'next' state of the art camera will come out (who knows...maybe panasonic will keep the lead). This is why I didn't hesitate to buy this beauty (DVX100). By the time they come out with something better I will have a few short movies made and have a lot experience shooting and controlling the camera in 24P (makes you more aware of your pans and shots).
Adam Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 09:40 AM   #22
Regular Crew

So how much is the Panny VS the VX2000/PD150 and XL1S?

I currently have the XL-1 and still is a good camera for what I use it for, however now with the DVX100 it will give me more options to choose from. :)

Oh and Canadian Women are also very good looking, because you have a vast culture mix that produces awesome looking women!!
And that's a fact :)

Thanks,
Shlooky
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 10:05 PM   #23
Wrangler

I think a number of people are probably wondering if native XLR on the PD150 is worth it. The other thing I think Sony was thinking would happen is the adoption of HDTV. That would have put both the VX and PD150 which can support 24p (in PAL) in pretty good position.

The question about the XL-2, I think would be at least a year off since the S is just barely out of the blocks. It would not surprise me that a XL-2 prototype exists in the inner bowels of Canon, but I bet only a few people know about it.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant