Flickering with fluo by PAL 25p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 5th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #1
New Boot

Flickering with fluo by PAL 25p

Hi all
Recently I shoot one documentary in the states with my DVX100AE (PAL).
We shooted at 25p and I noticed that sometimes with fluorescent light I got some strong flickering that I never saw before. In Europe with interlaced cameras I got sometimes some flickering, or when we made film we had to pay attention with the shutter angle and so on. But I never saw anything like this. It is really disturbing and I had no way of avoiding these places so we have some footage with the flickering on it

Anyone knows if it has to do with the 60Hz of USA, or is just the 25p and bad luck…

I heard sometimes of “anti flickering filters” anyone had any experience with those? Any recommendation? Or any link to some web?

Thank you!

Stephane
Steph Grueso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Like your shutter angle with film cameras, you may need to adjust the electronic shutter on the DVX. In your case 1/50th should have worked. If necessary, you can use the syncro-scan function of the shutter speed setting to fine tune the adjustment.
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I re-read your question and realized I missed the most important part. If you are shooting here in the states with a 24p PAL camera then you want to adjust your electronic shutter to 1/60 second (electricity is at 60hz here) - or as close to this as possible - to avoid flicker. 1/50th would be the magic number in PAL land. Sorry.

I have also experienced weird color shifts or cycling under fluorescents while shooting with an "out of phase" shutter speed - 1/48 for example. It happens gradually over several seconds and isn't readily noticeable. It becomes pretty apparent on playback though while searching forwards or backwards - especially in a predominantly white setting.
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant