Color Shifts With Knee-Mode ON at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 7th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Shifts With Knee-Mode ON

I use Barry Green's scene file 6 (from his proposal for matching colors to GH4). which I have slightly modified as follows (Barry's values in brackets):
Master Detail -6 (0)
Detail Coring 2 (1)
Chroma Level -9 (-12)
Master Ped -4 (-9)
Gamma Mode Film-Like 3 (Cine-Like V)

In a number of outdoor recordings on sunny days with some more or less blue sky, I observed shifts of the blue sky from blue towards turquoise/cyan. With some research and tests I found, that this is caused by exposures to high brightness values when Knee Mode processing is activated to Manual or Auto. It can massively affect the recorded video which in some cases becomes unusable.

A first screenshot (A1260001) shows a scene in bright sun and clear sky, one without a grey filter set, the second (A1260002) with grey filter set to 1/4.

I a further Test on a partly sunny day I shot with grey filter 1/4 two clips, one with Knee-Mode Off (clip 01440014), and another one with Knee-Mode Manual (96/85) (clip 01440016). When Knee-mode processing is activated, the blue sky is again shifted to turquoise/cyan.

This experience has caused, that I will avoid Knee-Mode processing whenever possible.

Joachim
Attached Thumbnails
Color Shifts With Knee-Mode ON-a1260001.mov_snapshot.jpg-.jpg   Color Shifts With Knee-Mode ON-a1260002.mov_snapshot.jpg  

Color Shifts With Knee-Mode ON-01440014.mov_snapshot.jpg   Color Shifts With Knee-Mode ON-01440016.mov_snapshot.jpg  

Joachim Claus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant