Capturing Video from a Computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Capturing Video from a Computer

Hey, I'm looking to make a tutorial on video layering, and I want to capture video from the computer. Kind of like when people save screenshots, but I want to have the motion of the cursor, opening of menus, etc.

Anyone know how to do this? I've got a DVC30, and a DV/VHS Deck, and both have Firewire ports on them...do I need extra software? If so, what?

Thanks.
Derek Brameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Try Captivate from Macromedia. There's also Camtasia from TechSmith.

I've used both and for software demos and training, I prefer Captivate.
Old October 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #3
New Boot

How about free software? I'm a student, so I can't really put down $200-$300 for something as simple as screen capturing. :-/
Derek Brameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Try the free Windows Media Encoder. It allows you to capture screen content like camtasia and captivate. My suggestion, set your display resolution at no more then 800x600 16-bit (640x480 preferable if you can). More then that, your frame rate will drop significantly. Play with your bit rate to get the optimal setting for your application.

Keep in mind that you"ll never be able to get a full and constant 30fps (24fps maybe, if you're lucky), and if you're thinking of capturing some 3D animation or streaming video off an overlay region of interrest, you might be dissapointed. In which case you'd want to get yourself a scan converter.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #5
New Boot

sooo...capturing video from screen including mouse movement and etc?? usually i use
Sergey Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #6
New Boot

sooo...capturing video from screen including mouse movement and etc?? usually i use Screen Vidshot by Geovid.But its not free.Geovid has also capturing tool that is free,but i prefer the former.
You can use this too for capturing video from ur screen with all elemets on it and even make easy edits after capturing.
Sergey Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just use your camcorder

While I have not tried it, the DVC 30 has a setting for change the shutter speed so it matches your computer's screen refresh rate so you don't get any black bars. Just set up your tripod in such a way to get a straight on shot of the screen but still give you room to work and video it. Why by anything? Granted it won;t be as nice as video directly from the graphics card give hey your a student with no money!!

Jeff
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Major Player

What system are you running? I capture 1 of 2 ways with my powerbook. I use snapz prox or I use the mini dvi to composite video adapter and run it into my dvc30. With snapz I think the quality is better and it records directly to the hard drive.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant