How to callibrate DVX100a with mixer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

How to callibrate DVX100a with mixer?

I can't believe there are no markings on the meter! I've read that the white portion of the meter ends at -12, but it sure didn't seem like it when I was trying to callibrate my mixer to that camera over the weekend. With tone set to the last white dot and the limiter set at +8 I was able to clip it digitally. I turned down the camera gain just enough not to clip, but then the tone was only registering about a third of the way on the white portion of the meter, which seems awfully low to me. On the second day I split the track and recorded one level hotter than the other, but I couldn't do that on the first day because we were using two mics. I was using the line input, by the way. (Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find it.)
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

huh??
dude, that message was like waaaaaaaaaaay out there bro.. like someones been smokin some wacky weed and is now left with a head full of images of what theyre tryin to say but cant get it out right..
LOL

umm... i dont understnad the question.. if there is one.. also what kinda mxer r we talking about?
what kind of connections are u using?

I religiously connect my DVX to Consoles when doing stage shows etc etc and use a custom XLR to RCA cable, straight into the DVX XLRs Tap the switch as to line input instead of mic, undercrank the levels to about 3 notches below 0db (ie 0= straight up), THEN, i make sure that the consoles output is the RECORD out (not mic out, not preamp out, not monitor out... ), as this is the flattest signal and bypasses the mixers FX and EQ (not the line EQ for each channel)
Then in post i do my magic and tweak to my hearts content.

Reason u DONT want the mixers EQ and FX is that the configuration would be to accomodate the vcenues PA system, not the video... on top of that, if u have a nobhead who wants to jack up the bass halfway through a performance, at least YOUR recording wont be affected by this tweak.

Never had a problem doing it this way
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Well, I just re-read my post about three times and it seems perfectly clear, but I'll make another stab at it.

The mixer is a SoundDevices 302 which has variable limiter settings and output levels. Standard practice is to calibrate it with a camcorder by sending a reference tone from the mixer and adjusting the camera's gain so that the camera's meter reads -12. That way when you average at 0 on the mixer's meter you still have 12 dB of headroom before clipping digitally in the camera. You then set the mixer's limiters to engage at whatever level you want. I usually use +8 in order to leave another 4dB of overshoot. The problem is, I don't know what -12 is on the DVX because there are no markings other than a series of white dots followed by a series of red dots. I have read that the last white dot on the camera's meter is -12, but that didn't seem to work for us this weekend.

Peter, you are apparently monitoring at the camera and can see the meter in the LCD. I can't do that because I'm holding the boom. My partner usually mixes at some distance from the camera because DPs hate having you stand over their shoulder. So she monitors by looking at the mixer's meters and listening to a headphone feed from the camera. We used a line level output from the mixer (XLR) and connected to the XLR inputs of the camera with the switches set to line.

As far as what my question is -- it's in the subject line. How do you calibrate a field mixer with the DVX100a?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #4
New Boot

How to callibrate DVX100a with mixer?

Hi Marco,

Here is a link that should help about the db markings on DVX100.

http://www.bealecorner.com/dvx100/a-...io-levels.html

I am using a PSC DV Promix 3 mixer. It has a 1khz tone reference. When I calibrate the DVX with the tone, I set the two channel meter readings all the way to the last and cross white dot. I also have the ALC on the camcorder ON. So far with this setup, I have not managed to clip my audio. I am sure the limiter on my mixer also helps.

Delfino
Delfino L. Tiongco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant