matte boxes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #1
New Boot

matte boxes

i just purchased a matte box for a panasonic dvx100a
what are the benefits of having one of these.
thanks
Ryan Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

just curious.. u spent money on something u know nothing about?? reason i ask is that usually its the other way around. Do ur research, then fork out the cash.. hell i need more customers like u bro.. lol

Matteboxes, depending on their design (with french flag or not), can be used to stop light from directly coming into contact with the cameras lens. This stops lens abherations and lens flares... As the DVX lens is relatively wide, you WILL need to zoom in a little bit to keep the box out of the shot, but apart from that, its a fancy Lens hood with a little more reach then the standard hood which comes with the camera
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Peter, you forgot to mention that a matte box usually has trays to hold filters.
A graduated neutral density filter can be handy to bring down exposure on sky etc. - as well as other types of filter...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
Peter, you forgot to mention that a matte box usually has trays to hold filters.
A graduated neutral density filter can be handy to bring down exposure on sky etc. - as well as other types of filter...

Robin
OOps my bad bro...

Yeah usually there are vertical slits where u can throw down some filters or stack them up... I find the Cokin filters work really well and u can get them in a variety of sized so u should be able to find a filter to suit ur box diameters.

obviously there are others.

Gradded ND... man... i tell ya, sometimes i forget my brain sometimes...
which one are u using mate?? Ive never really had a chance to put one of thee to thte test... And what environments are u shooting in? I dont have a Mattebox coz its a bitch to manage when shooting events and shit, but its good to know what results ppl are getting :)
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Trustee

Peter,

No sweat, mate :-)

I've got some Tiffen 4" x 3" grads in 0.3 0.6 0.9 densities. They're very good and can help either bring down a bright sky or just enhance clouds, like here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...nswithgrad.jpg

I don't keep the matte box on all the time. although I do keep the rod system on camera, since it's really quick to slide the matte box on when required.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

now THAT looks sexy in a sureal kinda way..

hmm.. padre packs his credit card and heads to Tiffen's site.. ;)
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
just curious.. u spent money on something u know nothing about?? reason i ask is that usually its the other way around. Do ur research, then fork out the cash.. hell i need more customers like u bro.. lol

What are you selling Peter? I've just come into some cash and I really need to spend it. Second thought, don't tell me. Just tell me how much for 10 (preferably in black).
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant