Persistant head clogging at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old November 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Persistant head clogging

Anybody ever have a problem with persistant head clogging? I have 132 hours on my DVX100A and have been experiencing a persistant problem that occurs about every hour or so. I clean the heads and it comes back soon afterwards.

The tape stock is about one year old and has been checked as baggage in an overseas flight so it hasn't been stored well at all.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

what tape are u using? The DVX has issues with non dry type tapes.. always did...

what if any messages do u get on ur monitor?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Major Player

The Panasonic MQ tapes still in the wrappers. I did have a shoot a few weeks ago where we had to use Panasonic ME tape stock. But I only shot about 2 hours on it.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The most common culprit of clogged heads is some form of moisture being introduced to the tape-head contact point.
Air conditioning cools the air and causes moisture to form from the humid air. Similar to a cold drink forming water on the outside of the glass. The Demon is moisture, and either the tape or the camera heads or both are the target. If moisture is introduced it causes instant friction that the spinning heads will take off the coating and clog the heads with the iron oxide (or whatever tape formula) particles. The point here is that if you acclimate the camera but keep the tapes in the air conditioning, or vice versa, the same condition exists.
By the way, if you live in a cold climate this situation exists also. I've always allowed at least an hour for things to settle down but I don't know if that's a standard. Oh and the dew light only tells you if the CAMERA is too wet. If you put in a tape right in from an air conditioned environment and plop it in the camera . . . poof clogged heads.
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm pretty much aware of the moisture/condensation problems from shifts in temp but the tapes and camera weren't subject to that kind of change. Good idea and I wish it were that simple but I'm thinking bad batch of tapes as they all came from one 5-pack.

I just got new tape stock and I'll see how it goes in LA this week. I'm hoping that solves it. Otherwise I keep having to stop and clean heads during the shoot. Grrrrrrrrrr...
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sofranko
Otherwise I keep having to stop and clean heads during the shoot. Grrrrrrrrrr...
Otherwise I would suggest you give service center a try. It is no good to use clean tape if error continue occurs.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Wrangler

I had similar problems (on another brand camcorder). I religiously use Sony tapes, and in a pinch had to buy a Maxell Head Cleaner, every other tape started glitching. When I finally got back to civilization, I put in the Sony Head cleaner and the glitching completely disappeared.

This is all anecdotal of course, but that was my experience.
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Used the new Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ tape stock and the clogging stopped. I'm assuming it was the old tape stock.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant