Is DVX100 cleaner? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 27th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is DVX100 cleaner?

Does DVX100 captures as clean as PD-150/VX2000 in bright condition with 0dB gain?

I came across somebody mentioned that it's images are grainier than others. Is there any work around ?
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #2
Warden

Define clean or cleaner. Their specs are very close and clean is, I think, a subjective term. I would say the DVX100 image is very near the PD150.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,

I am referring to a thread posted by Migual Lopez, titled :
"And finally... the dvx100 arrives and... what the hell is this?"

He mentioned :

"But then i plug into the TV and "buarfff". Image is not as good as expected. There is a little noise (gain at 0 dB), the red color is not too good, the whites are dirty... It is not the image i was expecting after watching it in the computer."
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #4
Warden

I would suspect the image quality of the TV before the DVX100. I like the image of the DVX100, however the image is similar to the PD150 and XL1. Many users talk in too many superlatives in relation to the DVX100. I have not found the image quality substandard in any way.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #5
New Boot

The TV and the way you connect it to the TV does make a difference.

I have noticed this especially when switching between my 42" Toshiba TV w/ the RCA cables, and my 36" Panasonic TV w/ an s-video cable.

It could just be the s-video connection... but the image clearly looks better on the Panasonic. I was extremely satisfied with the picture I got using the Panasonic and s-video.
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just for added info, here's what Adam Wilt (who can be trusted for not writing anything he couldn't back up with facts) wrote on the subject (in his dv.com review) :

"The 410-kilopixel CCDs on the AG-DVX100 make sharp images requiring minimal edge enhancement. The high pixel density minimizes the horizontal aliasing artifacts that afflict the 380-kilopixel PD150, and lets you tweak the detail level without concern for aliasing. "
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi all,

Resolution wise, I believe it's far more superior. But, I'm still skeptical, esp. its ability to suppress video noise.

See as mentioned by Miguel, "the whites are dirty" and I've heard quite a number of users stating that Panny is still behind Sony on handling video noise. But, how true it is, I would have to see it myself.

Here, in Spore, it's quite difficult to have hands-on test. You'd prob. know which model to buy and head straight for that.

Thanks for your input.
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello. After shooting docens of test with the dvx i can say this:
- about the noise: definately, in the computer, images look with more grain that XL1. But also much more define.

- About color. As far as i have seen, in cine-gamma colors are much less saturated than in XL1 even when the settings are at +5. This is a thing i have to test even more, because colors tend to desaturate, or unless, to be less saturated than in XL1. i liked how the XL1 managed colors. Beter than Sony.

- The problem is the settings. Shotting in Norm mode gives us too much contrast. Images are easily overexposed in the whites. If we use cine gamma we avoid this, but then colos is not as powerfull as in XL1.

Big problem, big problem...
Miguel Lopez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant