DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   AG-DVC30 Audio, XLR, Mic questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/82475-ag-dvc30-audio-xlr-mic-questions.html)

Roger Averdahl December 22nd, 2005 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zac Williams
I am having problems with the XLR mic adapter. Regardless of being set to line or mic or even with the levels all the way down, I'm picking up a low level audio hiss on tape. (I verified that it wasn't the headphone monitor out on the camera.) I suspect that the XLR adapter is bad because I don't get any noise using the internal on-camera mic at various levels.

I have the same problem. It is a loud hiss peaking at 15.6Khz that goes away if i use the built in mic, but who wants to use the built in mic? (And even if you remove the 15.6Khz peak the hiss is still very noticable.)

Does the same hiss occur if you plug in a mic into the 3.5mm mic in? On my camera it is no difference if i use the AG-MYA30 or the 3.5mm plug.

Panasonic has my camera right now for repairing it and has confirmed the problem and are working on it. I hope they solve it because the hiss ruins the audio.

You will get less hiss if you use a BeachTek DXA-6 instead of Panasonics AG-MYA30, thats why i bought it.

So yes, the DVC30 seem to be a camera with a audio containing noticable hiss, with or without the AG-MYA30. I am dissapointed.

I have tried this, with the same results every time:
XLR adapter: AG-MYA30
XLR adapter: BeachTek DXA-6 + DXA-8
Mic: AT 835ST
Mic: AT 825
Mic: Sennheiser ME-66
Mic: Sony ECM-MS907

/Roger

Zac Williams December 22nd, 2005 10:38 AM

Thanks for the quick comments and suggestions. I did try the XLR adapter with and without attenuation as well as with levels all the way down without any success. Even at line level I still had the hiss. B&H said that there was definitely a problem and will be sending a new AG-MYA30 next week.

I will try using the mini-jack mic in and see what happens in the meantime. I assumed that since the hiss was gone when using the internal mic that I would be out of the woods once I recieved a new XLR adapter. My only problem is I don't have an XLR to 3.5mm adapter. I'd like to run the mic through a mixer and then into the camera, but I suppose then I would need to take the signal from line level to mic level to use the mini-jack. Too bad the camera isn't switchable from the menu. Maybe the internal camera mic has a different pre-amp or something? That seems weird, but who knows.

I will let you know what I find out. I guess worst case scenario I send it to Panasonic and let them take a look. Thanks again.

Zac Williams January 4th, 2006 12:17 AM

I just wanted to post a follow-up. I received a new AG-MYA30 XLR adapter from B&H today and I still have the same problem. A little disappointing for sure. Just as Roger said the problem is in the camera. Perhaps I should have sent back the entire unit. I'm beginning to think the DVX100a might have been a better route.

On the bright side, the hiss is certainly much more noticable through headphones listening to silence then when monitoring dialog off of a television or other consumer audio system. I think I can squeak by on the upcoming training video especially if I take a laptop for direct to disk recording of voice-over, etc.

Panasonic is usually very good about warranty service, so maybe I will try that route once this first project is finished. If the audio was even a little cleaner it would be a great camera. I still would buy it in second over a GL2 even with the bad audio.

Stephen Finton January 4th, 2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

I just wanted to post a follow-up. I received a new AG-MYA30 XLR adapter from B&H today and I still have the same problem. A little disappointing for sure. Just as Roger said the problem is in the camera. Perhaps I should have sent back the entire unit. I'm beginning to think the DVX100a might have been a better route.

On the bright side, the hiss is certainly much more noticable through headphones listening to silence then when monitoring dialog off of a television or other consumer audio system. I think I can squeak by on the upcoming training video especially if I take a laptop for direct to disk recording of voice-over, etc.

Panasonic is usually very good about warranty service, so maybe I will try that route once this first project is finished. If the audio was even a little cleaner it would be a great camera. I still would buy it in second over a GL2 even with the bad audio.

Your levels aren't set to AUTO, are they? :)

Roger Averdahl January 5th, 2006 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
Your levels aren't set to AUTO, are they? :)

When using the AG-MYA30 you can not set any input levels to auto.

/Roger

Martin Duffy January 26th, 2006 04:46 AM

DVC62 audio problem

[QUOTE=Roger Averdahl]When using the AG-MYA30 you can not set any input levels to auto.

Do you know if the DVC-30 can be set to auto mic level as with a Sony TRV900 or VX2000?

I have the DVC62 full size version of the DC30 and can't find "auto level control" anywhere in the menu. Very disapointing!

Roger Averdahl January 26th, 2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Duffy
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl
When using the AG-MYA30 you can not set any input levels to auto.

Do you know if the DVC-30 can be set to auto mic level as with a Sony TRV900 or VX2000?

I have the DVC62 full size version of the DC30 and can't find "auto level control" anywhere in the menu. Very disapointing!

The only volume controls you can set to auto in the DVC30 is: The built in microphone and any source connected to the 3.5mm mic in plug.

How to do it on a DVC30:
Press the Menu button on the camera and keep it pressed for about 1-3 seconds. This brings up the Audio Level Setup on the DVC30 and let you choose from there.

I guess it works the same on DVC62.

Did it work on the DVC62?

/Roger

Martin Duffy January 27th, 2006 01:59 AM

Roger

Thanks for the reply but no the DVC62 has manual winders on the left side of the cam so no need to go into the menu. Thats OK but still there seems to be no auto level/compression on the camera which is just crazy.

Hoping there are some other DVC62 camera users out there who can shead some light on this!

John DuMontelle January 28th, 2006 08:00 AM

Just a shot in the dark

Have you checked to see if the phantom power switch is on or off?

Years ago I had a camera that would hiss if I plugged in a mic that did not need juice but the phantom power switch was in the "on" position.

I'm assuming (yes, always dangerous) you have a switch on that camera to engage or disable the phantom power function for each audio input.

Check to see that it is off.

You claim the problem goes away when you use the built in mic. Those usually require phantom power while most hand mics do not.

This can also be a problem if you are using a wireless. You may have a wireless receiver hooked up to the camera, a battery inside the receiver, and additional juice coming into the wireless receiver because the phantom power switch is activated. That is not good and, again, can cause audio problem.

Lots of people don't understand you can not leave the phantom power on all the time. It's only to be used with mics that need a battery, like a lav or maybe a shotgun mic. Turn it off if your mic set up does not require the extra volts.

Using other mics, and having that little extra juice running up the line can give you a variety of audio hums, hisses and/or hits, depending on the mic or camera.

Just my thoughts.

David Ennis January 28th, 2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

...I still would buy [a DVC30] in second over a GL2 even with the bad audio...

Why? Just curious.

Ken Adcox February 14th, 2006 06:17 PM

Trouble with AG-MYA30G

I bought a brand new DVC30 from B&H Photo about a week ago, and had ordered the XLR adapter and MC100 mic a week or so earlier new on Ebay with warranty (a previous camera deal on Ebay had gone sour, hence ordering the mic before the camera... no money lost). However, after attaching the mic to the camera, I cannot get a signal and don't know why. I supposed it was a plug-and-play system, but I looked through the manuals of both devices and checked the menu on the camera numerous times with no success. Am I doing something wrong to get the signal from the mic?

I've already contacted the Ebay store that I bought the adapter from and they said if I want to send it back they'll send a new one, but it'd be better for me if this one just worked (volleyball tournament this weekend to go shoot).

Thanks for any help,
"Simmons"

Michael Fossenkemper February 14th, 2006 09:12 PM

make sure you have phantom power selected if your mic needs it. When you plug in the adapter, your camera will automatically recognize it.

Ken Adcox February 14th, 2006 09:27 PM

Must be the adapter

I've done that to no avail. Guess I'll be sending the thing back then. Thanks for the info.

-Simmons

Roger Averdahl February 15th, 2006 04:15 AM

Ken, before you send the mic and the AG-MYA30 back, test it with another mic and/or another mic cable. And, test your mic on another camera.

/Roger

Reid Bailey February 15th, 2006 08:14 AM

I'm guessing you've cranked the little wheels all the way open.

After double checking the phantom power, I'm also guessing you've tried both xlr connections. One has the ability to switch between line input and mic input.

If you don't have any way to test the mic and cable, maybe you can take it to a local Guitar Center and just ask them for help. If it's slow they'll probably help, then just buy another xlr cable to make them happy. You can never have enough anyhow...

Ken Adcox February 15th, 2006 06:38 PM

Did all a' that earlier

I think i pretty much thouroughly tested the thing. Tried a different mic, tried the pana mic on summat else, tried every combonation of switches and input 1/2 and what have you under the sun. I'm positive it's busted. Thanks for the suggestions though. Luckily I don't have to send the mic back... just the adapter.

-Simmons

Jonathan Shannon February 26th, 2006 11:53 PM

Rode VideoMic Shotgun & DVC30?

Greetings:

I am looking for a mic for my DVC30, and am considering the Rode VideoMic Shotgun (see: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search ). Just wondering if anyone has this mic, and any comments about it? Also, how long will the battery last in it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jon

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2006 01:39 AM

I don't own a Rode Videomic (yet), but probably will fairly soon (when I get around to ordering one from B&H). From all I've read though, it should be an excellent choice for you, if you need a shotgun mic for your DVC30.

Jonathan Shannon February 27th, 2006 06:39 AM

Thanks, Robert. Let me digress here and ask another related question. Initially I was going to purchase the mic that Panasonic makes for this cam, but read on this forum that it is only so-so.

I don't know if the Panasonic mic fell short of other user's needs because of what they were using it for (if use even makes a difference). There are things I like about the Pana mic (less expensive - by the time you add the batteries and charger to the Rode - and, more important to me is the weight - 2.9 oz compared to over 6). I carry mine for hours on end, and a few oz's can make a difference.

So let me pose this question to the group of experts on this forum: Would the Panasonic mic be up to the challenge of recording the sounds of nature (rivers, birds, breeze)?

Thanks, and best regards,

Jon

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2006 08:51 AM

I'm not sure what Panasonic mic you are referring to.

The Rode Videomic uses a 9 volt alkaline battery, and a fresh one should last 100 hours, so it's not exactly a huge expense.

I doubt that a mono super-cardioid would really be ideal for picking up the ambient sounds of nature you mention. You might consider an Audio Technica AT822 stereo microphone for that (higher pricetag than the Rode though).

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2006 08:57 AM

Actually, Nady makes what appears to be a clone of the AT822, that can be purchased for about $100 (virtually identical specs and they look so much alike, you almost wonder if it might not be the same mic just sold with different branding on it). I will have one here in a few days to compare with my AT822 and find out how similar the sound really is.

Jonathan Shannon February 27th, 2006 09:46 AM

Thanks Robert. I look forward to hearing your observations on the comparison.

Jon

Frank Delle March 8th, 2006 04:12 PM

I bought an audio Technica AT897 short shotgun for my DVC 30. It works and sounds great. Can run it without the battery with the Panasonic XLR adapter.

Brendan Bhagan March 10th, 2006 07:36 PM

Robert I was looking at that nady mic, it does seem from other sources that it is the at822 to some extent. Let us know how those tests turn out.

Michael Fossenkemper March 10th, 2006 10:17 PM

I would consider the xlr adapter. I held off for a long time but finally caved in and haven't regreted it. It's a much cleaner mic pre and it's so much easier to adjust. It also allows many more options to your audio.

Peter Jefferson March 12th, 2006 10:38 AM

Hang on hang on..

are u using teh Panasonic Balun with XLRs or are u usin the 3.5mm plug??

dude stay away from the Rode Video mic.. youll get more noise from the mic than u would from your enironment. A while agi we were discussing this mic in the events and weddings forum..
If u want to go Rode, i would recommend the NTG1. Will work perfect with ur Balun.

Jonathan Shannon March 13th, 2006 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Delle
I bought an audio Technica AT897 short shotgun for my DVC 30. It works and sounds great. Can run it without the battery with the Panasonic XLR adapter.

Thanks Frank. What type of environment are you shooting in? (i.e. more comparable to ambient nature sounds or interviews?) Oh. I just did a quick search and found that it has "excellent sound rejection from the sides and rear of mic". This probably wouldn't be good for my application.

Still interested in Robert's comparison.

Jon

David Roseland April 26th, 2006 08:42 AM

dvc30 mic level...

The mic level on my dvc30 is very low compared to my GL2. Is there a good way to raise the sensitivity? I messed with the settings but it didn't seem to do much.

Bo Sundvall April 26th, 2006 09:53 AM

Hi

The levels ARE low on the DVC30, it's a known problem. I received my DVC30 three weeks ago and I was not impressed of the internal mic.
You can raise the levels by press and HOLD the menu button for a few seconds. Then the volume level menu will appear.

I have an external mic (Rode NTG-1) and the XLR adaptor to the DVC30. It's not a cheap setup but with this configuration I have very good sound.

Regards,

/Bo

Brendan Bhagan May 4th, 2006 07:43 PM

The mic levels on the DVC30 are known to be weak, they did this to reduce handling noise. It will work fine for ambient sounds and it picks up highs very well but for vocals it's not directional so it's usless. If the xlr box and ntg-1/ ntg-2 or at 897 mics are a bit too much and you want to record voices or sound from a single source look at the videomic, you'll notice the difference. To get better audio than the video mic you'll need to spend the bucks for what Sundvall has or more.

Derek Weiss June 15th, 2006 10:59 AM

DVC 30 mini jack problems

My 'phones' mini jack on my DVC30 is no longer working, and the mini jack for the mic input has always been touchy and finicky (have XLR adapter, so no big deal). But has anyone else had problems with there mini jacks on this cam?

Roger Averdahl June 15th, 2006 11:56 AM

A couple a days ago i replaced my 3.5mm plug to my Beachtek XLR adapter with a rigid one from Neutrik. All of a sudden my camera changed audio input from my Beachtek XLR adapter to the original adapter, AG-MYA30, back and forth when i used the new 3.5 mm plug.

The dimensions on the Neutrik plug was a hair smaller than the original 3.5 mm plug on the Beachtek XLR adapter and thus caused my camera to change the input back and forth. So yes, the camera seems to be sensitive about the dimensions on the plugs. Even very very small differences seems to make the camera to be touchy and fincky.

Now, the original 3.5 mm plug from my Beachtek is back on the adapter and everything works o.k! :)

/Roger

Richard Smith July 24th, 2006 09:34 AM

DVC30 XLR settings

Quick question (just need to be sure), im shooting with a dvc30 with xlr and external mic. I put the +v48v phantom on, do I need to use the attenuation switch? The shooting will primarily be interviews.

Thanks

Duane Prince July 26th, 2006 08:34 PM

..don't use the +48V phantom power, unless the mic calls(needs) for it.. All condenser mics require a power supply, whether it's a battery, or phantom power from a camera or sound board..
if your mic has it's own battery, you shouldn't need the phantom power from the camera...

..attenuation is designed to knock a strong audio signal down, to where it's usable for your purposes... example, if you're taking an audio source(line level) from a sound board, you'll need to reduce that to a mic level, so your DVC30 can use it, without being heavily distorted..

..from your description, using an external mic, it sounds like you don't need the attenuation on... :)

Scott Hoffpauir November 14th, 2006 10:42 AM

Panasonic DVC30 - XLR Mic Adaptor

I have a Panasonic DVC30 with an XLR Mic adaptor. This adaptor has a setting for phantom power. I was wondering if the on-camera lights that have the XLR connector can be powered by this adaptor.

Michael Fossenkemper November 14th, 2006 11:04 AM

NO. most lights are 12v, phantom power is 48v. also the amount of current that a light draws is MUCH higher. you would most likely damage the camera attempting it.

Christian Magnussen November 15th, 2006 05:53 PM

And xlr power is 4pins not 3 as with audio, so unless you modify the connectors it won't fit anyway.

Kirk Babbington December 25th, 2006 12:22 PM

DVC30 XLR, Mic, and Filter Question

I will be getting my DVC30 here shortly and will be using it to film offroad racing here in the southwest US. I have been searching for answers but need a few clarifications.

I want to use a decent camera mounted mic (I.E. Rode), what do I need exactly to accomplish this on this camera? I have seen the Panasonic XLR adapter for this camera, do I need that to run a new mic?

I will be shooting these trucks, buggies, and bike from as close as 10 feet, and to as far away as 100 feet. What would be a good mic for me to use? I am looking in the $100-$200 range.

I have been shooting for 5 years using various digital8 camcorders(I know, but the dust sucks and destroys cameras! I have figured out a cover that will protect my DVC though!) The image quality is fair at best. I notice the biggest problem is color. We are shooting in the day time (from sun up to sun down) 95% of the time. We are in the desert which means tan colored dirt, and brightly painted race vehicles. Now when I looked at my footage, everything seems to meld together. The sky isnt a vibrant blue, the trucks look bland, and the dirt takes over it seems. What can I do to make my shots look better? I was thinking of a polarizing lens?

Thanks for your help!

Derek Nickell December 25th, 2006 02:49 PM

Get a XLR to mini adapter for your DVC. Guitar Center has one for 30 bucks, plus look at BH Photo Video.

Imran Zaidi December 25th, 2006 04:49 PM

A polarizing filter can definitely help bring color contrast out of haziness; I use a Tiffen with my DVX. If you do a lot of outdoor shooting, it comes in very handy. Just keep in mind it's not a cure-all. It'll help, but it's hard to get video to see vibrant colors in a dusty, murky environment.