Question regarding audio and the DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 30th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #1
Wrangler

Question regarding audio and the DVX100

Just got my DVX100 today! My only concern thus far is the audio. I connect an external ME66/K6 via a shockmount on the accessory shoe. Seems like anytime I bump the tripod it creates a digital fuzz noise for a few seconds. I took the mic off the camera with it still connected and waved it around a bit and it was doing the same thing. Now I'm assuming it's distorting which is causing this buzz noise....but it never did this when it was connected to my GL-1 via the Beachtek adapter.
Can anyone verify if what I am hearing is digital distortion from vibration. And is it supposed to be that sensitive to it. I have the levels set at a conservative setting (in the middle).
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

its just that the mic is very sensitive and you probably have ur gain up real high on the cam.. on top of that, i find panasonic's audio to be above the other manufacturers in terms of audio processors... that being that Panas havea higher sensitivity...
try turning down the mics recording input thru the cams setup/menu, and only use the manual cam controls on the left hand side under teh LCD screen..
also monitor your sound.. you should be able to see some peaking...

in teh screens VU meter.. u can see any peaks or dips, jsut set the the input to 1 or 2 db below 0db, then compensate with the manual controls....

nothing uglier than a digitally distorted clipped peak... :(
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

I thought the only electronic (menu driven) option regarding input level were mic level -50 or -60db. The way you were explaining it made it sound like you can tweak the db in the menu one db at a time.
Oddly enough -60 is more sensitive (louder) than -50, does that make any sense?

Anyway, yeah I set the levels correctly using the manual dials on the right so there are no distortions, however when the mic or tripod the cam is mounted to is bumped sharply it has a buzzing distorting sound. I'm assuming it's the vibration from the shock thats setting it off. Seems normal, I guess....accept for the fact I couldn't reproduce it when I used the ME66/k6 with my GL-1.

Lastly, when setting my audio levels where should I set them. Should I set it so I get no red at all or set it so it doesn't completly peak? I ask because most audio levels have an area between red and white (or green in most cases) which is usually designated by the color orange. In that set-up it's usually good to keep it in that range, because it's sensitive enough to pick up everything but not loud enough to distort. With the white going right into red kinda throws me off.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant