How good is DVX100b at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Tourist

How good is DVX100b

Ok here's my delema, i have about a $8000 loan and im looking to get a camera and underwater setup including lights and housing. I found a DVX100B pakage that comes with a Equinox DVX100BPRO Underwater Video Housing and the camera for $4,650 on B&H. my question is would the DVX be a good choice or should I think about going High Def. I'm looking to find a camera that will be great quality for like 5 years, cause i am only starting my second year of a 3 year program at Brooks Institute Of Photography.
Michael Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Major Player

I would really try to go with an HDV camera, of some sort. Even the $1000.00 Canon HV20 makes a better daylight image than the DVX100. But you may need to upgrade your NLE if you are going to go HDV.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Tourist

My only hesitation with going with the HV20 is the look. In my mind it does not look like a professional camera, I love the quality of it and know all the settings and small adjustments because i mess with it everyday at work(best buy) also they have not come out with a professional underwater housing for it. I heard Ilelite was in the process of designing one but have not heard too much more on that.

I've seriously been thinking of going with te HVX200 and found it for $2500 new my only hesition is the housing is going to be ridiculously expensive. I'm a film student so that camera will give me great quaity and be a good camera to have for years to come.
should i just bite the bullet and go for it?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Frye View Post
My only hesitation with going with the HV20 is the look. In my mind it does not look like a professional camera, I love the quality of it and know all the settings and small adjustments because i mess with it everyday at work(best buy) also they have not come out with a professional underwater housing for it. I heard Ilelite was in the process of designing one but have not heard too much more on that.

I've seriously been thinking of going with te HVX200 and found it for $2500 new my only hesition is the housing is going to be ridiculously expensive. I'm a film student so that camera will give me great quaity and be a good camera to have for years to come.
should i just bite the bullet and go for it?
Whoa...now it is very hard to believe you found a "legit" HVX for the amount you posted. I really chimed in to mention that I read in another post somewhere that the Sony underwater housing fits the HV20 and works like a charm. There is even video that you can sample with its use. I'm sorry I forgot where though...maybe someone else can tell you . But an HVX for under $4,000.00???? If it is a Web site you've seen this at then I would check at resellerratings.com about its legitimacy. Be careful.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Tourist

WOW I've never seen such bad reviews for a website before. thanks for that site.

I was looking at that other thread about the Sony sports pack working for the hv20 but you have to use the remote and u can only start/stop record and zoom in and out.

i need something that i will be fully able to control iris and focus and adjust the white balance. so the sport pack wont work.

one idea i had was to get two canon camers the HV20 for like $830 (employee price) and get the housing for that when they come out and then get a mid range high def prosumer canon.

so does any one know when that housing might possibly be coming out?
and would it be worth it.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Trustee

The 100b is a versatile and easy to use camera. The only real caveat is that is only shoots 4:3 natively and the faux 16:9 can get soft. I would not recommend HDV for water stuff. I would get an HVX, you can pick up a used package pretty cheap now with everything you need to get started.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson View Post
The 100b is a versatile and easy to use camera. The only real caveat is that is only shoots 4:3 natively and the faux 16:9 can get soft. I would not recommend HDV for water stuff. I would get an HVX, you can pick up a used package pretty cheap now with everything you need to get started.

ash =o)

Ash used where? B&H
Also with your experience with canon would you compare the HVX too or which Canon would you go with if someone did a trade for a day with you?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Trustee

Check the forums here and DVXuser, there are often people liquidating well-cared for gear. I own an HVX as well and it does great progressive SD. There is a known bug with the HVX that will not allow you to shoot decent 480i so unless there is a reason that you might need 480i, you should consider the HVX. The ONLY negative on the HVX is that you lose a whole stop of light and like the DVX, it is naturally noisy so you have to learn to work around that.

The other good thing about HVX is the option to shoot HD which is going to be cheaper as we go forward.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Keep in mind that depending on your water depth, you will require additional lighting. IMO, the HDV camcorders currently on the market don't measure up to the DVX100B for light sensitivity. And I hope that in less than 5 years there will be some major improvements in this area.
Amy May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Its very good!
This is subjective but i used a FX1, FX7 a canon xm2, a canon xl2 and finally this dvx100b. I just love it. i am not sure why but...
1. The colour tones naturally are nicely film-like. there is this nice warmish brown tinge tone that makes the footage stands out... anyway i cant explain.

2. Lowlight is great.

3. Its not too heavy

4. XLR and plenty of customisation possible.
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #11
New Boot

Hi Michael,

I have DVX100B in Equinox ProPak8 housing equiped with 2 x 50W HLC halogen (LiMn accu.) UW Video Light station. You can check short video from last Red Sea trip here http://www.lombar.net/video/safari-june07.asp.

/peter
Peter Lombar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant