Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question

Okay... this is mildly confusing for me.

I finally got around to getting some filters for my DVC30, only to be a bit perplexed by the ring sizing.

I bought some 58mm Filters, and a Step-Up Ring 43mm > 58mm.

The ring will not fit UNDER the lens hood, due to the large diameter of the 58mm ring, however a 56mm or smaller filter would fit. The only problem I see with this, is you cannot stack filters if you plan on using the Lens Hood that comes with the DVC30, right?

Second Part = The DVC30's lens hood has a filter ring in it, however it is not stated what size it is, and 43mm is too small, while 58mm is too large.

What size is the outer (Hood) ring? You can stack filters there, but I have no idea what size it is.

Anyone else having trouble with using filters with the DVC30? It just seems a little too complicated to me....
Steve Rosswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Major Player

First answer: No, you can not stack filters. The only way to do so is if you use thin filters, then maybe you could get 2.
Seconds answer: No, the stock hood is not threaded, although the slots for the lens cap are 72 mm apart. The lens hood that comes with the DVC30 fits my 72 mm lens.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #3
New Boot

So I could realistically do 2 (maybe) filters on the 43mm threads, and a 72mm filter using the lens cap slots?

If that's the case, sign me up, hehe. Thanks Edward!
Steve Rosswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Unfortunately the slots on the hood are only for the cap. The aren't threads, just slots that the tabs on the lens cap fit into. I haven't tried two regular 43 mm filters, but maybe two thin (wide angle) filters would fit.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

check this out

Cokin has a integrated filter system wich is a possible solution.
I have a 43mm UV always on and the DVC30 hood can be attached also upon this. When I remove the stock lens-hood I use the 43mm cokin ring and next the
A series filter holder where you can mount 4 filters.
The only problem I'm facing is when I try to rotate the polarizer my fingers are messing with the camera's ring (but using an extention ring will extend the gap between them.
Another thing is that they have an extra lens-hood (wich I've ordered)
I got all these 5 parts (UV-ring-filter holder-polarizer-ND) for 70something euros here in Greece. With the use of another ring w/ the desirable diameter you can use everything with another camcorder or digital camera.
http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html

Last edited by Vasilis Stamkopoulos; June 3rd, 2007 at 04:52 AM.
Vasilis Stamkopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

sample-photos

here are some photos too...
Attached Thumbnails
Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1658.jpg   Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1659.jpg  

Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1660.jpg   Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1662.jpg  

Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1664.jpg   Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1665.jpg  

Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1666.jpg   Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1670.jpg  

Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

and a few more

and a few more
Attached Thumbnails
Confusing AG-DVC30 Filter Size Question-100_1671.jpg  

Last edited by Vasilis Stamkopoulos; June 2nd, 2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: new pictures
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Cokin model

Hi! What model did you order for the DVC30 ? Thanks!
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra View Post
Hi! What model did you order for the DVC30 ? Thanks!
Hi Anmol
here's what I've got for the dvc30:
-43mm UV filter (always on - it also helps to screw the next element of the system)
-43mm adaptor ring for the A series
-"A series" Cokin filter holder
-"A series" circular polarizer
-ND A152 (2X)
-and Cokin A255 modular hood (two pieces which are fit together as one)

these are the exact models for each element.

but if you own or planning to have a camera with bigger lens diameter, put an adaptor ring 43 to 58mm, say, between the UV and the Cokin Ring and then go for the P series.
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Lens diameter

Thanks for the info. Heres another question.
When you go really really wide on the DVC30, WITHOUT a wide angle lens, is it a problem with the A series Cokin ?
With a wide angle lens adapter, is it still a problem ? Just checking before I shell out the money..
Still havent decided between A and P series.
Also I assume that I can still attach a hood over the rig, whether using A or P and my DVC30 lens will still be protected.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #11
Major Player

More filters?

:-) Since I have you as my filter expert, one more question. The ND and polarizer can give more saturation or warm tone outdoors. Is there an equivalent that allows for the same indoors where I can only use work lights (the harsh white light) ? I was looking for more saturated colors and more "film look" - shallower DOF.
I read somewhere that white balancing with a bluish white card helps. Never tried it.
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #12
Regular Crew

well Anmol
going wide but without a wide lens adapter is not a problem at all when using the whole cokin system and even with two modular lens hoods in a raw.
I suggest you buy the P series because when using a wide angle adapter the A series wont fit on it (because usually wide angle adapters have 58mm thread and over) so the biggest ring for the A series is about 62mm so I don't recommend it. plus with the P series and a couple of rings you can use the system on another bigger camera than the 30 ;-) This is the main reason I regret on the A series.
check out the adaptor ring chart http://www.cokin.com/ico2-p1.html
About indoors filter usage, I don't recommend it because every filter in front of your lens is "eating" f-stops, useful light.
White balancing is the best method for indoor shooting but then you have to avoid external daylight(if there is any) because it is going to show strange.
Remember that inside the scene files of the DVC30 there is an extra setting for the color temperature.
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra View Post
...I was looking for more saturated colors and more "film look" - shallower DOF.
as you mentioned shallow DOF, with the dvc30 as with most camcorders in this category the more light you let in the better. Having to zoom from 50-100% and take the appropriate distance from your subject, the lens by itself makes the image darker so you need to have iris as open as possible hence filters are not so suitable not for this 1/4"ccds camcorder with a situation like this.
But DOF is a huge issue anyway...
cheers
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for all that. But when I checked for 43mm wide angle adapters on google, I actually found a few.
Would it work with the 43mm wide angle adapters ? If there is a screw on the other side ?
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Got my answer

Figured it out. Even if the inside thread of the wide angle is 43mm the outer thread will still be at least 58mm.
Cool! Time to go shopping now..
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant