DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic HC Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/)
-   -   The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/491883-panasonic-tm900-users-thread.html)

Steve Struthers March 18th, 2013 08:42 PM

Re: The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bergstein (Post 1751373)
So my wife and I went out for a little day sail yesterday with friends, on board the 100 year old Adventuress. She is used as an environmental awareness ship, run by the non profit, Sound Experience. I brought along my TM900, not thinking I'd do much filming, but then I remembered my friend John Sparrow's sea chanty, and decided to marry it all up and help them raise money for the 100 year anniversary celebration. Not much forethought here, but enjoy non the less. I think it highlights the little camera quite good. No color correction done on the footage. Rendered out in SD for quick playing on cell phones, etc.

Adventuress - A day on the water on Vimeo

Nicely shot. To me, the sharpness and colour of the images shot with the TM900 look as good as a pro camera could produce. Unless they were told that your video was shot on a consumer-grade camcorder, most people would not think it was shot on anything other than a pro camera. I've just bought a X900, and since it's descended from the TM900, I expect some pretty good results from it. In my estimation, the X900 is basically the same as an AG-AC90 minus all of the physical manual controls, extra viewfinder, XLR mic connections and focus, iris, and zoom rings on the lens.

Al Bergstein March 19th, 2013 06:05 PM

Thanks Steve. Yes, other than being able to get that bokeh out of it, I agree. For interviews I prefer the look of the Canon 5D at 85mm. I have to remind myself when I watch the tm900 films that it actually was shot with a TM900 and not my xf305!

Peter Rush March 21st, 2013 03:02 AM

I've just bought 2 TM900 cameras as b cams for weddings but can't work out how to have automatic exposure (iris/shutter) but manual white balance - the manual is vague - is there a difference between 'camera function' and iA/Manual ?

I got it to perform like this once but cannot re-create it!

Also i can't find how to switch to 25p recording rather than 50p - this will help me with low light situations

Cheers

Pete

Colin Rowe March 21st, 2013 05:52 AM

To have floating iris all you need to do is to set the shutter speed last, ie.
set focus mode
Set white balance
Set shutter (on whatever speed you want)
This will give you a floating iris that will adjust automatically. whilst shutter speed remains locked.
Just select shutter speed last

Andy Wilkinson March 21st, 2013 06:00 AM

Peter, works fine on mine. EDIT, I see Colin got the info across far more succinctly than me whilst I was typing all this!

Make sure the camera is in Manual. Get the Menu Icon screen - the one with the 4 Icons on the left hand side of the LCD (Focus at top, then White Balance, then Shutter and then Iris at the bottom). I normally leave my Shutter fixed at 1/50th for poorer lighting scenarios, or at 1/100th for most outdoor stuff. I now only shoot 1080p50 AVCHD2 at 28Mbps with this cam, by the way. The 25p AVCHD footage is very much inferior in quality - only ever used it once (in Mauritius) where I needed about 4-5 hours shooting time to cover an event with limited media available.

Anyway, back to the topic. Just tap the WB (White Balance) icon and set it as desired. If you next tap the Shutter icon and set that to 1/50 (or 1/100 for outdoor) you will see that the cam automatically adjust Iris to cope with varying light conditions (just wave it around to see the effect). I always have the Histogram and Zebras displaying on the screen too, by the way.

What you must be careful NOT to do is tap the Iris icon AFTER you've "set" the shutter speed. Once you've selected the shutter speed the cam will just adjust Iris as required with no further input needed.

This works well for me most of the time as the cam is pretty good at setting exposure automatically with both the shutter speed and white balance "nailed". Often in run-n-gun the auto focus works like a dream too - but is easily switched to manual if needed without upsetting the other items - and the Peaking is great too! [By the way, in bright light situations you'll want to use the Picture Adjust (Page 8 of the Record SetUp Menu when in Manual camera mode) to cut back the the Exposure a bit to stop highlights blowing out too much on the TM900].

I used my TM900 only last night - first time for a few weeks (one of my daughters was in a school play - the EX3 or C100 would attract too much "attention"). Superb hand-held footage with the excellent image stabilisation!

Hope this helps a bit.

Peter Rush March 21st, 2013 12:07 PM

Cheers guys - it helps a lot - I've only just started using them as static cameras (I'm a solo wedding shooter) to back up my Sony EA50 - the footage from them edits in nicely!

I've read that it can shoot 25p which would be a great help in low light situations but again the manual is vague with details regarding the recording modes

Cheers

Pete

Peter Rush March 24th, 2013 10:26 AM

Wide angle adapter

Guys I'm currently using a GoPro for wide angle but it's really bad in low light - I'm looking for a wide angle adapter for the TM900 and came accross this one

Panasonic DMW-LW46E 46mm Wide Conversion Lens (DMW-LW46E) - Wex Photographic

Does anyone have any experience of it?

Cheers

Pete

Mike Prendergast March 24th, 2013 10:49 AM

Peter, I don't have info on the adapter but which GoPro camera are you using? The Hero3 is very good in low light and much improved from the Hero HD (which I've used for several years). I have both the TM900 and Hero3 and the H3 is better in low light especially if you want a wide angle shot.

Peter Rush March 25th, 2013 10:14 AM

Hi Mike - For weddings the Hero 3 (silver edition) is fine for the ceremony etc but really poor for the evening reception/first dance where there is little light (disco lights and my on-camera light) - The TM900 beats it hands down but is just not wide enough

Peter Riding March 25th, 2013 11:20 AM

Re: Wide angle adapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1786379)
Guys I'm currently using a GoPro for wide angle but it's really bad in low light - I'm looking for a wide angle adapter for the TM900 and came accross this one

Cheers

Pete

Search Ebay UK using this string:
"46mm 0.45x wide angle"
and you'll find a selection of wide angle addons that fit the TM900. I bought one 2 years ago and its surprisingly good. And dirt cheap.

Pete

Andy Wilkinson March 25th, 2013 12:33 PM

Re: Wide angle adapter

Hi Pete Rush,

There is some info about wide angle adapters way back on Pages 8 and 9 of this huge TM900 Users thread. Hope this helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1786379)

Cheers

Pete

Peter Rush April 3rd, 2013 02:03 PM

Does anyone know how to turn off Dolby 5.1 on the TM900? Premier Pro does not like it - it won't visualise the waveform - not a big thing but helps when quickly syncing audio.

Pete

Andy Wilkinson April 3rd, 2013 02:46 PM

I have mine set up with just stereo sound - trouble is I am out looking through my telescope at Jupiter in a freezing cold field right now with my elder daughter and some friends. There is definitely a menu option for it accessible perhaps when you disable the iAuto function - In case you made that mistake - only ever use that by accident! Wish I could disable that button permanently.

Have a dig around in the setup menus. Someone on the warm with their TM900 can help if not!

Tom Hardwick April 3rd, 2013 02:46 PM

Yes. Turn off iA.

Mike Prendergast April 3rd, 2013 03:54 PM

You can change the Mic setting by:

Set to Manual
Menu - Record Setup - MIC SETUP - [select option]

Pg 74 of the manual describes all the options but Stereo is one choice.

Peter Rush April 4th, 2013 02:06 AM

Cheers guys - will try it

Colin Rowe April 4th, 2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Prendergast (Post 1788419)
You can change the Mic setting by:

Set to Manual
Menu - Record Setup - MIC SETUP - [select option]

Pg 74 of the manual describes all the options but Stereo is one choice.

The menu settings are only effective in manual mode. If you shoot in ia the camera seems to default to 5.1. I had this happen when I first got my TM900, set to manual and you can freely choose, and set the audio

Mike Prendergast April 4th, 2013 08:07 AM

Colin, That is strange because i set my TM900 MIC to Front and use Auto most of the time and never had to set it again.

Chris Frishmuth April 15th, 2013 10:26 AM

Looking for a little help here. I have a HDC-TM900 that is a couple of years old. It has performed great but I ran into a problem yesterday with it. I had plugged it in to my PC to transfer off all the video/still photos as I normally do every few months. After transferring, I usually disconnect the camera, select the playback mode, and use the camera itself to erase all of the video.

Anyway, I moved the 3-position mode selector switch (camera/video/playback) switch to the playback position but it never switches to playback mode (the mode where you get all the thumbnails of the recorded stills and video). I've tried removing the battery, plugging in the camera, etc..but cannot get it to switch to the playback mode.

Has anyone else encountered this? I don't have my manual handy and was also wondering if there was a factory reset pinhole somewhere on the camera? I found the setting in the menu, but wasn't sure if there was a hardware reset switch somewhere on the camera.

If push comes to shove I suppose I can delete the contents of the camera directories via the computer, but it would be nice to have the playback mode functioning.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Peter Rush April 25th, 2013 05:16 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the TM900 record to an SD card and then to it's internal memory when the card is full - or indeed record to it's internal memory and then to the SD card when that's full?

Pete

Riki Rana April 27th, 2013 10:57 AM

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Have been reading the wealth of info on these forums and thanks to everyone for it.
I have a Panasonic TM900 which I am sure, I have not used to its full capacity. I would be highly obliged if someone could guide me to the best settings. I have Sony Vegas for processing and most of the videos I use are for home use.
I also have a question regarding using the remote control when the camera is tripod mounted. Since the remote control receiver is in the front, if someone is sitting at the back then the remote does not work. I had a old Sony camcorder where the remote receiver was a popup kind and could be operated from anywhere in the room. Is there a wired remote available for this camera ? Thanks

Guy Caplin April 27th, 2013 11:55 AM

You can make a wired remote control out of you existing infra-red unit. It is a bit tricky but worth doing. What you need to do is unsolder and remove the infra-red diode from the front of the remote. This will leave two holes in the remote's PCB. Carefully solder and connect a thin flexible two core multi-stranded insulated cable - one core to each hole. This cable needs to be as long as you need to go from the front of the camera to where you intend to use the remote control. Then solder the cable ends to the two wires from infra-red diode that you have removed. Mount the diode close to the front of the camcorder facing the IR receiver hole.

Two points to watch:

You must connect the diode with the correct polarity otherwise it will not work.

It is almost impossible to split the remote plastic casing into it's two halves to get at the diode, so carefully cut the bottom half through with a junior hacksaw, close to the diode.

Also insulate the solder connections to the diode with heat-shrink.

I've used mine this way for over two years with no problems and have extended the cable up to 20 metres.

Alastair Traill April 27th, 2013 06:05 PM

Hi Riki
I have not tried modifying the IR remote but I have successfully used two other methods to remotely control a 900. The first way it to use a reflector to direct the IR remote beam onto the camera sensor. I use aluminium for the reflector – even when black anodized it works well. No doubt there are many other materials that reflect IR. The second way uses an IR extender available locally in kit form. The sender picks up the signal from the remote, copies it and transmits to a IR emitter on the end of a cable that can be placed where its output is “seen” by the camera’s sensor. Not quite as neat or as adventurous as Guy’s solution but works OK.

Riki Rana April 29th, 2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caplin (Post 1792937)
You can make a wired remote control out of you existing infra-red unit. It is a bit tricky but worth doing. What you need to do is unsolder and remove the infra-red diode from the front of the remote. This will leave two holes in the remote's PCB. Carefully solder and connect a thin flexible two core multi-stranded insulated cable - one core to each hole. This cable needs to be as long as you need to go from the front of the camera to where you intend to use the remote control. Then solder the cable ends to the two wires from infra-red diode that you have removed. Mount the diode close to the front of the camcorder facing the IR receiver hole.

Two points to watch:

You must connect the diode with the correct polarity otherwise it will not work.

It is almost impossible to split the remote plastic casing into it's two halves to get at the diode, so carefully cut the bottom half through with a junior hacksaw, close to the diode.

Also insulate the solder connections to the diode with heat-shrink.

I've used mine this way for over two years with no problems and have extended the cable up to 20 metres.

Thanks Guy for your suggestion, I doubt I would be able to do as you suggest as am not so savvy with diy

Riki Rana April 29th, 2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Traill (Post 1792970)
Hi Riki
I have not tried modifying the IR remote but I have successfully used two other methods to remotely control a 900. The first way it to use a reflector to direct the IR remote beam onto the camera sensor. I use aluminium for the reflector – even when black anodized it works well. No doubt there are many other materials that reflect IR. The second way uses an IR extender available locally in kit form. The sender picks up the signal from the remote, copies it and transmits to a IR emitter on the end of a cable that can be placed where its output is “seen” by the camera’s sensor. Not quite as neat or as adventurous as Guy’s solution but works OK.

Both your suggestions whilst workable, would be difficult for my use as I needed to stop and start recordings using the remote whilst the camera stands on a tripod a distance away in a concert. I wonder if it would be a big problem for Panasonic to implement RF remote controls instead of IR into their cameras?

Andy Wilkinson April 29th, 2013 02:30 AM

I've also seen people use a piece of aluminium/tin foil, bent into a position to create a reflector a few cm in front of camera's IR sensor to allow wider coverage of operation with a remote from behind.

[I think from memory it was in the XDCAM EX section, which is another area of this forum I occasionally frequent, and the guy was using it for nature recording - so possibly from some distance away].

Not sure what the limit of the TM900s IR sensor is in ideal situations or what the effect would be on range reduction of using a reflector - but since it's a very simple, cheap to no-cost solution it might be worth at least testing to see if it's reliable enough.

Riki Rana April 29th, 2013 02:32 AM

Yes that could be worth trying, thanks for your suggestion

Riki Rana April 29th, 2013 02:36 AM

As I have mentioned in my first post, I have been using the Panasonic straight out of the box and have been using AVCHD HA 1920 to record video. I have seen the dedicated 1080/50p button but have not yet ventured there. Is it advisable to shoot in the 1080/50p resolution or should I stick to the HA option. I am using Sony Vegas and now learning Edius to process the files. My viewing of final output is streaming through a Popcorn C300 onto a Full HD plasma TV.
My processing would be done on my laptop which is a Sony Vaio I5 with 8gb ram. Sony Vegas runs beautifully no problems, but I have noticed that the trial version of Edius is unable to play even the AVCHD clips and the sound is distorted and a lot of stuttering. I thought I would have to fine tune the settings, but am not sure if the laptop is good enough.
Mainly holiday videos as am a over enthusiastic amateur.

Guy Caplin April 29th, 2013 02:41 AM

Following on from Andy's suggestion, you might try a small concave mirror (shaving mirror) to reflect and concentrate the IR beam onto the sensor.

The other solution is to buy an X920 and download the wifi control app to your smart phone.

Andy Wilkinson April 29th, 2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riki Rana (Post 1793134)
As I have mentioned in my first post, I have been using the Panasonic straight out of the box and have been using AVCHD HA 1920 to record video. I have seen the dedicated 1080/50p button but have not yet ventured there. Is it advisable to shoot in the 1080/50p resolution or should I stick to the HA option. I am using Sony Vegas and now learning Edius to process the files. My viewing of final output is streaming through a Popcorn C300 onto a Full HD plasma TV. Mainly holiday videos as am a over enthusiastic amateur.

Rika,

1080p50 is in a different league resolution wise. I only ever shot HA mode once and it was so much poorer (but I needed the card space). Try a 1080p50 on a few test clips and see how your PC/NLE handles it (in my case PC wise I use Vegas 9E on a 2010 i7 box - handles it no problems - but my main workflow is CS 5.5.2/Mac Pro based). Assuming your computer set-up works OK I doubt you'll ever go back to HA mode...

Riki Rana May 5th, 2013 01:09 PM

Hi Andy,
Following up on your suggestion I just returned from a long May day holiday and have shot around 96gb of video all in 1080/50p. Now would really appreciate if someone could guide me to the render settings in Sony Vegas Pro 12.
Also I am streaming from a Popcorn C300 to a Panny TV and that is the only way I will be watching the videos.
Thanks

Andy Wilkinson May 5th, 2013 02:34 PM

Hi, a quick search in this section or the Vegas section should pull up some useful threads for you - but here is one to get you going.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...50p-files.html

Not sure what advances Vegas 11 has over the 9 that I ended my Vegas days with, but if you can't work it out by doing some tests on a few clips I am sure those who are up to date with Vegas 11 and handling 1080p50 AVCHD2 on here can help. I only really use Adobe on Mac now.

I also seem to remember that some useful Vegas tips appeared somewhere in this huge long thread about a year ago [on my iPhone right now so I'll let you search back and find one of my index pages] - and then perhaps you can find some more useful info Riki.

Sure someone will offer advice!

Riki Rana May 6th, 2013 12:26 AM

Hi Andy, no one has responded yet. I have had to downgrade the files and had to render them to check the recordings and have lost the advantage of having shot in 50p. I really hope someone replies soon. There are some settings suggestions abut Edius but unfortunately I am unable to run Edius on my I5 system. Maybe there is anther software which you can suggest which could do the jobe, thanks.

Andy Wilkinson May 6th, 2013 03:02 AM

Will Vegas 12 not handle 1080p50 on your i5 windows box? Very surprised at that - but I rarely use Vegas now so someone else will have to help as there will have been a lot of changes from my Vegas 9 to your 12.

By "downgrading" your files I hope you kept a copy of the originals in tact...

As I mentioned before, the best approach is always to do a few tests on a few short clips to optimise your workflow (and write down notes about your findings and all critical settings used).

Only once you have established what works best - lots of pixel peeping on the resulting very short test movies once they are rendered to your choosen viewing format - would I then consider throwing a huge project at your system....which is what 96GB sounds like to me!!!

That's why my YouTube Channel (AndyKWilkinson) has a quite a few "worthless" test films on it...a few of my TM900/Vegas test results are even public too...

I can't help with Edius as have no experience of it. No idea why it would not work on your i5 computer.

Mike Prendergast May 6th, 2013 07:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Riki, Here is the workflow i use with TM900 footage (i shoot 1080 60p) and Sony Vegas Pro 11:

1) Transcode the MTS files to AVI using Cineform. You can get a free copy of the software at GoPro.com
2) Open Vegas project with settings in attached image
3) Add AVI files to Vegas project. (AVI files will allow for smooth playback during editing)
4) Edit (disable smart re-sample on all clips)
5) Render with settings in attached image.
6) When you are finished with project editing, you can delete AVI files to save space. DO NOT delete the MTS files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riki Rana (Post 1794173)
Hi Andy,
Following up on your suggestion I just returned from a long May day holiday and have shot around 96gb of video all in 1080/50p. Now would really appreciate if someone could guide me to the render settings in Sony Vegas Pro 12.
Also I am streaming from a Popcorn C300 to a Panny TV and that is the only way I will be watching the videos.
Thanks

Riki Rana May 6th, 2013 07:14 AM

Thanks Mike for your reply. One question, my camera is a European model so I have shot on 1080-50p. Do I choose 1920*1080-50p (Double Pal) in Vegas. Any other settings to change ? Also forgive my ignorance , but Cineform Import does not see the .mts files, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Mike Prendergast May 6th, 2013 09:41 AM

Riki, Yes match your footage (50p) for the project settings and for rendering use 25 in place of 29.97 that i have.

I don't know if there are any other changes needed.

Riki Rana May 6th, 2013 10:46 AM

Hi Mike,
Go Pro Cineform the free version does not read mts or AVCHD files. Any other converter which you feel would do the job ?

Mike Prendergast May 6th, 2013 12:02 PM

Sorry to hear the free version doesn't work with MTS files. I didn't know that. I have Cineform Neoscene (paid version). Here is something i just found in a quick google search. I have no knowledge of this software at all but it does claim to do the job and is free.

MTS to AVI Converter free for Windows

Riki Rana May 10th, 2013 07:32 AM

I am trying out EDIUS and am very happy so far as I am able to view and edit my clips which I could never do in Vegas. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.