Focus issue w/TM900 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Focus issue w/TM900

With snow falling I was trying to capture birds at the feeder. To my surprise the auto focus was not very focused at the long zoom. It is too much of a strecth to think the falling snow threw the system a curve? This is the first flaw I found of the camera if indeed it is a flaw.Hopefully, not a condition for repair.
Mike Hinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Focus issue w/TM900

Hi Mike,

Does your autofocus work OK on scenes without snow?
The only problem I have had with the autofocus is that is does not necessarily focus on what I want it to focus on. I find using manual focus with the focus assist very useful when the camera is presented with a number of objects at different distances such as a bird in a nearby bush.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hinkel View Post
With snow falling I was trying to capture birds at the feeder. To my surprise the auto focus was not very focused at the long zoom. It is too much of a strecth to think the falling snow threw the system a curve? This is the first flaw I found of the camera if indeed it is a flaw.Hopefully, not a condition for repair.
The autofocus system will get confused with snow and by default will try and focus on the object nearest the camera, same applies for any auto focus system.

Manual focus is designed for just such scenarios.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had a similar problem recently shooting my daughter when she jumped out of a perfectly good plane (skydiving). Autofocus struggled to focus with soo much blue sky. I simply quickly changed to manual focus with focus assist and grabbed some great footage of her parachuting in.
Ian Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:07 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. As I tested the focus inside it appears that it is working OK. What perplexed me was that some of what I shot was in focus while the very next shot was out of focus. I didn't do anything different shooting the same subject at the same focal length. I 'll have to test it farther. Thanks again.
Mike Hinkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders