HCX-1000 Manual exposure problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old November 10th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HCX-1000 Manual exposure problem

Very pleased so far with my new Panasonic HCX-1000 except for a bit of a puzzler. In fully manual mode with everything seemingly set OK for manual ie shutter/iris/gain controls there still seems to be some auto exposure going on - eg when filming indoors panning across a daylit window the image darkens down as if in auto mode. Any ideas please?
Philip Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HCX-1000 Manual exposure problem

OK panic over - new camera syndrome- I'd expected changing from full auto to manual mode would result in the latter returning to the previous (manual) settings whereas they have to re-set one at a time - so I missed the shutter speed going back into auto rather than manual - silly me. Tried to delete the original post but can't even do that! Doh!
In my own defence I read a review that complained about no full manual exposure control, obviously they were caught out too!
Philip Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: HCX-1000 Manual exposure problem

I guess I maybe posting to myself here but I'll pass on my experiences with this Cam but please bear in mind I'm not a pro videographer I'm a pro stills photographer who loves video as a hobby. To me the main attraction of this camera is the 4k/50p capture capability (I'm in PAL land). I was not enamoured with 4K at 25p from my previous camcorder, this despite all the postings of film-like-ness/rendering malarkey I found the lack of smoothness in action and panning a major irritant despite obeying all the rules, ie slow panning, little or no zooming, and following the action.
All this evaporated with the HCX-1000 and 50p capture. It's a pity that manufacturer's don't follow the same operating logic. I've only had experience of JVC and now, Panasonic but these two follow different methods of operating
I'll confine comments mainly to the HC-X1000 which please bear in mind I've only owned for a day or two. There's a Intellegent Auto/Fully Manual switch which, glory be, is an actual sliding switch.
Fully auto is almost bomb proof. Incidentally I don't know how it's achieved but the ND filters seem to be straightforward mechanical switching but somehow they become automatic in intelligent auto mode. How this is done goodness knows.
Intelligent Auto is a bit of a tyrant as NOTHING one can do is able to override its decisions, however there is an “Intelligent Auto Plus”setting in the menu where certain parameters can be altered.
Switching to manual paradoxically leaves most controls still in auto mode excepting the ND filter, the appropriate filter needing to be manually selected.

For true manual mode to be achieved from Auto mode one needs to press the iris, gain, and shutter buttons whose parameters can then be altered manually. This is a bit of a pain and takes time. If required Auto White Balance AWB needs also to be pressed although AWB is so incredible I find I leave it alone. For extra control there is an AWB lock feature accessed by tapping the LCD screen.
That's the story so far. The build quality is very good, a step up from my JVC GY-HM170. The Panny weighs in a little more but feels solid and well balanced The carry handle has a rubberised texture beneath which is nice. I wish the lcd screen was a flip out rather than a pull out and twist but the screen itself is excellent (way superior to the JVC).

The single battery supplied lasts for ever (OK several hours) but genuine spares cost around £170.00 (Yikes), there are a few third party batts for sale bt Panasonic give dire warnings against using these. There is a 12v DC in socket, which providing you can find the correct DC power jack plug you could use with an external rechargeable 12v li-ion battery, one of which I already have.

The built-in microphone on the handle seems to be excellent, I've even managed to attach a mini “dead cat” which may , for me, do away with having an external XLR microphone fo the most part.
In low light it's not brilliant but I don't need this camera for professional environments and providing you hike up the gain he results are more than acceptable to me.

As I said above the best feature in my book is 4K/50p capture, I honestly wouldn't look at 25p again. Interestingly the shutter speed defaults to 1/50 rather than 1/100th in 50p disobeying the 180 degree rule but the results at1/50 are stunning. More comments after some further use.
Philip Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders