External Mic issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old November 11th, 2023, 08:48 AM   #1
New Boot

External Mic issue

Guys I previously used a Panasonic HC-X920 camcorder, and I put an external mic on the cam (Panasonic VW-MS10 MIC), When using the X920, in the Menu /record setup/MIC LEVEL I have 3 choices,( Auto, SET AGC ON, SET AGC OFF) I leave the mic to AUTO. It works perfectly. the sound quality is great. I now own a Panasonic HC-VX1 and the Panasonic HC-WXF1 camcorders and when I put the same mic on these camcorders and use the same settings, the audio indoors is horrible, and the outdoors isn't great but ok but nowhere near as good as the X920.
Why are these newer camcorders not recording audio the same as the previous X920? And what are the best overall audio settings I should use? (I don't want to be adjusting anything for different scenarios like indoors and outdoors, up close, far away.)
Thanks so much for your help.
Deon Dicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2023, 11:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: External Mic issue

Hi
I have the Panasonic HC-X1500and bought the Panasonic VW-VMS10 for it but sounds a bit tinny not used in the videos below. So did a bit of searching and came across this.

it is the Azden SMX-30V
there are several reasons why I went for this on against another well know make. Aart from excellent sound and being stereo/directioal via a dial it also has other switchable setting on the back face. Those are a couple or reasons but there are even more. The audio cable is detachable so if it gets damaged it is easily replace as it is not fixed into the mirophone. It takes 2 xAA batteries but can also be powered off the camcorder battery, others have that 9V square battery may not b e available while out on a video shoot. Also switches off when camcorder turned off, cheaper than other well known makes. I did buy a "dead cat "for it as well
here are a couple of examples

first under tricky conditions crossing the Artic circle on a cruise ship

next tree cutting

Icelandic church inside

I can highly recommend this microphone cost around £250

Last edited by Barry Lloyd; November 20th, 2023 at 12:13 PM.
Barry Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2023, 02:43 PM   #3
New Boot

There is nothing wrong with the mic. I tried it on my old 920 and it works fine, it seems that the newer camcorders require some setting adjusting in different situations, (indoors compared to outdoors) also adjust the settings if the indoor audio that is being recorded is loud or not so loud. It's just a pain to be fooling with the settings all the time seeing the older camcorder like the 920 when the settings are on auto the audio is perfect.
Deon Dicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2023, 04:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I did say I too have the Panasonic VW -VMS10 and I was not happy with it on my HC-X1500 camcorder. the sound came out the only way a can describe it as "tinny" and very poor sound quality, Here in the UK it cost about £80/90 and that reflects what you get for your money.

I have been making videos for the last 12 years or so originally using a Sennheiser MK400 microphone on a HC-X900m panasonic camcorder which was ok, but on the HC-X1500 camcorder it too failed in sound quality. The same issue you have it seems.
With newer panasonic camcorders my only conclusion you also have to up the cost of the microphone to get the quality. This is what I did, The Azden now I use in the UK is around £250 a big leap in price but you get what you pay for.

No way would I recommend the Azden microphone If I didn't like it ( I have no connection with the company except as a happy customer). I did take a close look at the Rhode version but got put off it having a "fixed" audio cable ,what happens if it gets damaged?? and the type of battey it uses let alone costing a bit more for same sound quality

Of course I realise the cost has to be considered but also balance that with what you expect from a bit of equipment. I did research a lot before buying the Azden. First and formost was cost, but also what it offered as well. Having a detachable audio lead does allow the microphone to be placed well away from the camcorder depending on length- then batteries being able to replace without taking the microphone off the camcorder. The type of battery was a bonus but the biggest was being able to either use as a directional or stereo (via a dial) so save having to buy two microphones to do the same job.

Anyway that is the conclusion I came to, but like anything it is the user that finally has the say if they like it or not. Hope this helps a bit

example, great stereo

Last edited by Barry Lloyd; November 21st, 2023 at 04:33 AM.
Barry Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2023, 06:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Sometimes things can be frustrating. Did a little searching around and found a few links that may be helpful.

1. The first one was this: “Effect of a Panasonic VW-VMS10E-K Microphone attached to a HC-VXF1” at …. tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9Il44Krgs (some editing required. add “ht” to the beginning of the url. Did this to avoid getting the YouTube video picture in this post. )

2. Perhaps a more useful link is this one with several review comments:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VW-VMS10-Stereo-Video-Microphone/product-reviews/B00CBPIRHA/din02c-20

=> In particular, this review by Quickstad that explained his HC-X920 cam settings:

(10 people found this helpful)

Oops! Same problem as with YouTube. Try adding "ht" to the front of the url:
tps://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R4RMMP56UBV7Y/din02c-20

Last edited by John Nantz; November 21st, 2023 at 06:18 PM. Reason: to "fix" the url
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders