FZ1000 EVF eyecups at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old August 5th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #1
Inner Circle

FZ1000 EVF eyecups

Hi Guys

After seeing someone briefly advertise eyecups for the GH cameras I figured I needed one for my FZ1000's too. I had a Hoodman loupe left over from my Panny AC-130 days so I ripped off the rubber cup, cut the hole bigger and stretched it over my FZ1000 EVF and it worked perfectly. Now it's pretty thin rubber and soon afterwards the new hole stretched over the EVF split and it fell off. Back to square one!

I was cleaning out my "junk box" in my camera room when I came across a spare "Rocket Blower" ..that's the one shaped like a space ship with a rubber bulb and a nozzle at the top to clean cameras and lenses.

I placed my split Hoodman cup over the side of the blower rubber bulb and the curve was exactly the same!! ...so I pulled off the nozzle and then cut off the fins at the base and then cut the bulb down the seam from top to bottom on both sides so I had two "boat shaped" rubber pieces. (scissors work fine)

Using the split cup as a rough guide I cut a new cup from each half and then cut a hole on the left that would slip over the camera EVF eyepiece. They work like a dream ..they are slightly thicker than the Hoodman cup so they are tougher and in sunlight they block out all external light.

Simple solution for shooting outdoors when it's too bright to use the LCD!! I don't see why these wouldn't work just as well for the GH cameras too!!! All you need is an old Rocket Blower and you have two eyecups for your camera!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FZ1000 EVF eyecups

Great idea Chris, it's amazing what you can do with a bit of lateral thought and some bodgery. :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #3
Major Player

There's dozens of different eyecups available cheap online. I'd bet that there's at least one that would fit this camera precisely.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes there are ..the guys that had his details on here for a GH4 eyecup was charging $35.00 for it and it clips right onto the camera. I have two FZ1000's so I need two eyecups so that's $70 plus a bit of shipping from the USA to Australia etc etc .... my blower was a spare ..took me 5 minutes to make and works a treat ...as the credit card ad we used to see says "priceless" If you have a spare blower lying around why go out and buy a cup when it's so easy to make one?
Old August 16th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

what's is a rocket blower? Link?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Brian

I thought everyone knew what they were!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/259157-REG/Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower.html
Chris
Old October 15th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hmm, I'm off to the hardware store! Got an idea!
If it works I'll post here. If not, I'll buy a "rocket blaster" and say nothing.
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

But wait, tripped over an old Chinese knock off "Hoodman Loupe" and went back to Chris's first idea.
Fits good!
Attached Thumbnails
FZ1000 EVF eyecups-img_0260.jpg  
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I actually had two Hoodman loupes left from my Panasonic AC-130's and that's what I initially used. Just cut an oval out and stretched it over the FZ eyepiece. It worked very well until the rubber split!! I found that the rubber used in the blower was almost twice as thick so I used the split Hoodman eyepiece as a template for my new ones. These are still not perfect as the bottom of the rubber catches on the LCD screen when you pull it out but still quite useable!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series