Damaged HDMI port at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Damaged HDMI port

Well my 2nd HDMI port has now fallen to pieces so both cameras have no HDMI ..they are such delicate devices I'm really not sure what steps to take now!! I have an FZ2500 coming next month and I don't want to damage it's port too!!

Just a question ? Does anyone have the Panasonic AVC1 cable so they can connect the camera to a TV ? I need to know if you leave the FZ1000 in standby (not record or play) do you get a picture on the TV ? Sorta like a webcam? If that works I can get a RCA to HDMI convertor ..otherwise will have to wait for the FZ2500 and then make a "permanent microHDMI to HDMI cable and maybe fix it so it doesn't move EVER then use a standard HDMI cable to connect from the adapter HDMI socket to my output! Anyone have any ideas on how to stop these stupid micro HDMI cables from damaging the port?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Damaged HDMI port

I get a picture on my HDMI monitor via the micro HDMI socket (and cable of course) on the FZ1000.
Not live view though, blank screen as soon as I hit "record".

A reason why I don't ever use the socket, unlike on my GH4s(live view) where I have a (rather expensive) "Lockport HDMI Protector".

I prefer to use a monitor, and hence both eyes (and a tripod!). Not on with the FZ1000. Interested to see if otherwise with the FZ2000.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Ronald

This one??? https://www.lockcircle.com/store/?p=.../lockport_gh4/

Yes the FZ2500/2000 has HDMI out and you can record too.. I have one on order and I certainly don't want to destroy it's micro port so this device will be a lifesaver

Much appreciated!! Both my FZ1000's work fine of course ..only the pins on the connectors are damaged so no HDMI which is not a big deal as I really need the HDMI plus recording anyway!!!

Really appreciated!! Exactly what I'm looking for ...I wonder if the GH4 model will fit the FZ2500 body or might have to be modified ...???
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Ronald

I wonder if I can ask a HUGE favour ? Could you check if the GH4 lockport will physically fit onto your FZ1000? I'm only concerned whether it will plug into the port and clear the body ..no issue that the LCD will not swivel as I shoot with it closed and the base plate is not an issue either as that can easily be modified to suit. ( I already have a aluminium bar under the camera with a handle each side so making a DIY bracket to suit the Lockport will be simple) That would be gratefully appreciated before I order it!!

BTW: If you go to your setup menu on the FZ1000 and TV connection and turn HDMI record to "OFF" you have a live screen view and the menu items are not recorded either (also) turn Viera Link to "OFF"

Many thanks
Old October 23rd, 2016, 01:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Curious. Do you intend to fit this permanent? With the idea that if it breaks you only need to replace this part only, saving the original HDMI port. Sounds a good idea to me.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Chris,

The Lockport plug will fit into the FZ micro-HDMI socket, as one would expect, but absolutely no good as a protective device. On the GH4 it is designed to clamp onto the cam with the help of a quick release plate or on my outfit via a Fhugen Cage.

Nothing to clamp to on the FZ1000.

Ron

ps I do sometimes use mini micro HDMI cables on my GH4s. 4 or 5 inch long ones. Then connect a pukka full HDMI cable. Short ones less prone to flexing. Can help to remain in place via BlueTack.
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Ronald

That's all I needed to know .. as long as it fits onto the camera I can easily make up a simple mounting that will secure the body of the adapter so it drops down onto my current rig on the camera ...It means that all I really need is the "survival kit" then and make an aluminium fitting that supports the full size part of the adapter and anchors it to my current plate that's under the camera .. I just wanted to make sure that the right angled bit that has the micro plug at on end and the full size plug at the other would fit across the camera body. All I need then is a bracket coming up from my base plate and a secure clamp around the fitting and it's fixed and unlikely to damage the camera port. I intend to have it on permanently too so don't need a QR either. On the FZ1000 having a permanent fitting IS a problem cos the camera will think it's always in HDMI mode and will not allow you to record but it won't be an issue on the new cameras as they do both now so if a cable (or adapter) is inserted the cam will recognise you need to use HDMI but can still record ..No use on the 1000 of course unless you are going to an Atmos recorder at all times cos record is disabled.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

This is what I have under my camera (with a cutout for the battery too) It's 4mm x 40mm wide aluminium bar so there should be no reason why I cannot make a bracket up the side of the camera with a clamp on it to hold the Lockport unit

Donald .. yes I need it to become part of the camera as this will be my streaming camera so I'll always use HDMI plus record to card. The less you plug in these micro ports the better!!!! If I'm just recording to card it won't hurt for the adaptor to sit there doing nothing and the micro port will be protected
Attached Thumbnails
Damaged HDMI port-baseframe.jpg  
Old October 26th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Just a quick note for anyone contemplating using a LockPort on the FZ1000, apart from having to make a mount, remember the FZ2500 has a different layout (same as the GH4) so the adaptor sits on the left of the 2500/2000 which is the opposite side to the FZ1000 so the HDMI full size connector would face forward and might even be upside down!! I'm using mine on the 2500 so there won't be an issue.

UPDATE : my Lockport arrived from Italy today and yes, you can use it on the FZ1000 and it will face to the rear too. The only tiny issue is that one would have to make a clamp for the adaptor and the writing on the unit is upside down cos the FZ1000 port is on the right not on the left like the GH4 or FZ2500 (that's purely asthetic!!! I would definately use these ..it protects the port!!!

Last edited by Chris Harding; October 26th, 2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old November 12th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #10
Trustee

In every case of a cable leaving one of my cameras proper "cable support" is always in use. The weight of the cable is never supported by the connection.

Often this is accomplished by a small strip of gaff tape. If the cable gets tugged on for any reason the cable and tape take the hit instead of the connection.

Last month I discovered these at our Home Depot store: https://www.niteize.com/product/Gear-Tie-ProPack.asp

They are super handy for cable management of many types. I can now secure cable relief to a tripod (for example) without having to use tape. I have a weird thing about sticky things. Leftover goo on anything makes me CRAZY! Thats just one reason I use real gaff tape instead of duct tape. Nothing worse than getting your fingers sticky right before you have to operate and can't clean up. I know, I'm weird, but I hate sticky. Now with these new gadgets my cables stay clean too ;-)

Kind Regards,

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series