Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old November 24th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video?

Hi Larry,

I have goals similar to yours. In the last several years, I have sold several clips of stock wildlife footage for use in broadcast and other contexts. The most recent sale was a clip of a rattlesnake shot with a hacked GH2, a dumb adaptor, Canon 300 F4 IS lens, and a Canon close up lens. I earned $1200 for the clip, and the camera setup certainly did not meet BBC or EBU standards for a primary camera. Prior to that, my sold footage was captured with a Sony prosumer camera (HC7).

As others have already said, if you want to shoot footage with a camera that meets the highest broadcast standards you will have to spend a lot of money and start going to the gym so you can carry the heavy equipment into rough terrain. The people who film for BBC and Nat Geo productions are away from home for weeks or months and have to manage a great deal of equipment in hostile environments. This is not something I can do or want to do.

If you are producing occasional stock footage for sale, getting interesting shots is more important than meeting the highest broadcast quality standards with your equipment. (Broadcast productions will use clips of really interesting footage here and there, even when they do not conform to BBC or EBU standards). For me this means having affordable and lightweight equipment. It has to be equipment that I enjoy using and that I will actually take with me when I am out in nature. Also, there are many broadcast venues out there, and not all of them worry about BBC or EBU standards.

You want a good camera, but 90% of your work will be finding the shots and developing your craft as a videographer. I have recently considered the FZ2500. It looks like a great camera. With an external recorder it gets a bit closer to broadcast standards with 10 bit 4:2:2 footage at high bit rate recording.

HDR standards are the latest thing to emerge, and I think these require 10 bit, 4:2:2, and 14 stops of dynamic range. I have considered getting a Sony FS7 or Black Magic camera to meet these standards. These systems are expensive and bulky solutions to what I do, and I would not get out as often. My current solution is the Fuji XT2 and a Fuji 100-400 IS lens with teleconverter (on order). Given the 4K crop factor, this would give me about a 950 mm reach in a relatively lightweight weather-resistant package with 12 stops dynamic range and the nice Fuji film emulations ($3500 to $4500 for the package). This system falls short of many high-end standards, but it will allow me to have fun and get to my subjects.

So I think you are on the right track. You will have to find a compromise that suits you and makes this endeavour fun for you. The FZ2500 might be a great option.

Cheers

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I was not referring to a used fz1000, the price of a new fz1000 is currently half the introductory price of a fz2500, at least in europe it is. If you don't know what broadcastcodec you will be supplying your footage in the future I would just use a codec that has the highest bitrate, either in HD or 4K and afterwards convert your footage to the requested codec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
The FZ2500 will certainly add some improvements over the FZ1000, but I believe that the FZ1000 is to be kept in production alongside the newer camera. As Noa pointed out the FZ2500 will be around double the price.

The differences will be covering some of the gaps in the FZ1000, so there will be slower zoom options, built in ND filters, a headphone output, unlimited recording time and slightly increased zoom range. As I already have two FZ1000s, I won't be replacing them as I am delighted with them but will be adding a FZ2000/2500 because I need another camera and it is a logical progression. Also as much of my filming is for continuous sequences longer than 30mins, it will remove the need to fill short gaps.

If you don't mind waiting for the FZ2000/2500 and don't mind paying the premium for a newly introduced camera, then I am sure that you will be delighted, However, the improvements, although useful, are an upgrade and there are always newer and better specified cameras just around the corner. If the cost is a consideration, then I seriously doubt that you will lose any noticeable quality with as FZ1000. Much of the camera including the imaging chip and most of the internals will be the same as the new camera and many of the new camera features are not difficult to implement on the old one. A variable ND filter takes a few seconds to attach, audio monitoring is available visually with onscreen level meters, the difference in zoom is minimal and the 30min continuous filming limit is normal in just about every other camera of the type, both bridge and dslr. You also still have the very good wireless remote control and monitoring facility on the FZ1000 which could be very useful for wildlife work.

You could certainly get a good price on a new FZ1000 now and if you decide that you want an FZ2000/2500 in a few months when they have been in the hands of users for a while, then the FZ1000 seems to be maintaining a very good used sales price, by which time you will be fully familiar with the use of the Panasonic, which will be basically the same on both cams.

Roger
The FZ1000 is half price here in the states too and on sale for $500 at Best Buy. It's very tempting. I even looked for a Black Friday sale which is tomororrow (i.e. the day after our Thanksgiving). I think I'll wait just a bit. I would rather pay more and get a camera that has more of the features that I'm looking looking for.
I came across the Panasonc HC-X1000. I've only looked at one review so far. Don't think it's what I need. It is more of the style camera that I expected to be using. The learning curve would be higher with that style, but that's ok with me.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Larry

I have a feeling the XC-1000 will disappoint you ..on the FZ1000 group it isn't very well received as an alternative at all. Just mentioning it! However make up your own mind !

Also if you need 4:2:2 footage at 1080 all you do is shoot at 4K and downsize to 1080 and the chroma sub sampling will supply you with 4:2:2

Our delivery has just been amended from end November to mid December - Bummer!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Our delivery has just been amended from end November to mid December - Bummer!!!
Panasonic seems to have issues with delivering their newest camera additions, I have ordered a g80 from cvp in the uk on 13 oct and expected delivery is still 4 to 6 weeks away according to their website, too bad as I wanted to use the camera on a wedding beginning december.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
Hi Larry,

I have goals similar to yours. In the last several years, I have sold several clips of stock wildlife footage for use in broadcast and other contexts. The most recent sale was a clip of a rattlesnake shot with a hacked GH2, a dumb adaptor, Canon 300 F4 IS lens, and a Canon close up lens. I earned $1200 for the clip, and the camera setup certainly did not meet BBC or EBU standards for a primary camera. Prior to that, my sold footage was captured with a Sony prosumer camera (HC7).

As others have already said, if you want to shoot footage with a camera that meets the highest broadcast standards you will have to spend a lot of money and start going to the gym so you can carry the heavy equipment into rough terrain. The people who film for BBC and Nat Geo productions are away from home for weeks or months and have to manage a great deal of equipment in hostile environments. This is not something I can do or want to do.

If you are producing occasional stock footage for sale, getting interesting shots is more important than meeting the highest broadcast quality standards with your equipment. (Broadcast productions will use clips of really interesting footage here and there, even when they do not conform to BBC or EBU standards). For me this means having affordable and lightweight equipment. It has to be equipment that I enjoy using and that I will actually take with me when I am out in nature. Also, there are many broadcast venues out there, and not all of them worry about BBC or EBU standards.

You want a good camera, but 90% of your work will be finding the shots and developing your craft as a videographer. I have recently considered the FZ2500. It looks like a great camera. With an external recorder it gets a bit closer to broadcast standards with 10 bit 4:2:2 footage at high bit rate recording.

HDR standards are the latest thing to emerge, and I think these require 10 bit, 4:2:2, and 14 stops of dynamic range. I have considered getting a Sony FS7 or Black Magic camera to meet these standards. These systems are expensive and bulky solutions to what I do, and I would not get out as often. My current solution is the Fuji XT2 and a Fuji 100-400 IS lens with teleconverter (on order). Given the 4K crop factor, this would give me about a 950 mm reach in a relatively lightweight weather-resistant package with 12 stops dynamic range and the nice Fuji film emulations ($3500 to $4500 for the package). This system falls short of many high-end standards, but it will allow me to have fun and get to my subjects.

So I think you are on the right track. You will have to find a compromise that suits you and makes this endeavour fun for you. The FZ2500 might be a great option.

Cheers

Pat
Hey Pat,

Congratulation on selling some clips. That's awesome to hear. Definately one of my goals. I think I'd have a better chance doing so with video than with stills. Just too many people making stellar photographs and many giving them away.

Why a Fuji instead of a GH4?

Great info about the various broadcast standards. Thanks.

Last edited by Larry Johnson; November 24th, 2016 at 05:42 PM.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Panasonic seems to have issues with delivering their newest camera additions, I have ordered a g80 from cvp in the uk on 13 oct and expected delivery is still 4 to 6 weeks away according to their website, too bad as I wanted to use the camera on a wedding beginning december.
Might be grateful for the delay; gives Panasonic a chance to release a firmware update to fix the stabiliser bug. IS is definitely better than the GX80 when kept still but try panning and it sticks and judders.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 05:59 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Johnson View Post
Hey Pat,

Why a Fuji instead of a GH4?
This article goes on about the Fuji:

Shooting with the Fuji X-T2 in Italy - Samsung NX1 and Sony A6300 beater? - EOSHD

You might want to hold out on the GH5 as that has 4:2:2 10 bit 4K internal, though not clear on the bitrate. Could well be a game changer if it delivers on its promise.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi Larry and Steve,

I just sold my GH4 last week. I was never super happy with the apparent resolution, colors, dynamic range and lens options. I have used it with a dumb adaptor and a Canon 300 F4 with 1.4 teleconverter. This gives you a very long effective focal range, but I had to use the GH4 on a tripod.

I have been shooting primarily with an A7r2, landscape and nature stills. I am not a fan of Sony colors. The A7R2 has fantastic 4k in super 35 mode, but there is significant rolling shutter, and I just do not want to deal with it anymore. I need a second camera with good weather sealing that can excel at both stills and 4k. The XT2 has a 24 MP sensor compared with the 16 MP of the GH4. It has better dynamic range and low light capabilities. The Fuji 100-400 with IS is awesome, and can apparently give you smooth 4K handheld - based on some clips online.

I have considered the GH5 which should be an incredible camera, 4k at 10 bits with 422 internally, IBIS, etc. But there are uncertainties about how good the weather sealing will be. I might get one anyway, but I do not want to wait 4 months or so to start shooting.

My PC is getting a little old, and I have never mastered Premier Pro. With the very nice Fuji film emulations on the XT2 I hope to cut down on the amount of post processing I have to do. One of the target markets I will look at next year is 4K nature footage for office, hotel, and medical office signage - a growing market. Such footage will not need to withstand the multiple rendering steps that can enhance the flaws in non broadcast quality footage used in a TV production.

So that sums up why the XT2 is my current option.

Pat
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #24
Major Player

Here is an interesting comparison of the XT2 versus the A7sII for 4K:

https://www.cinema5d.com/fujifilm-xt...-video-camera/

With the latest firmware, the XT2 gives you 12 stops of dynamic range by adjusting settings in the film emulations.

Pat
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Larry

The 4K mode of the FZ1000 (we are patiently waiting for the 2500 here still. It's truly outstanding even at full optical zoom and the much higher bitrates of the newer camera would certainly put it in the broadcast category! To be honest I have never compared super zoom footage with standard footage (480mm zoom vs 1600mm) but there is bound to be some degradation. However it depends what you are looking for an whether you will always need a crazy zoom length? I have seen people shoot a DSLR on a 600mm lens which is only a tad higher than the optical range of the 2500 and with 4K shoots at 200mbps you can technically crop the image back to 1080P and get a 4:4:4 image which is in theory, lossless. That's worth thing about! I use an XLR two channel adaptor on my current FZ1000's and they work really well and give you pristine audio. The low price of the new model (plus a couple of $$$ for an adaptor makes it a good package for a wildlife shoot. If you shoot in 4K you just might be surprised. The image quality is outstanding compared with any other cameras I have ever used. Leica optics are hard to beat!!! Shoot in 4K and crop so you can achieve a zoom of 1600 and you will get a stunning image at a low price point!! I already have one on order to join my two FZ1000's ....take a look at a few YouTube videos by searching for FZ1000 - 4K

Hi Chris, I'm thinking of the FZ2500, but I don't know what a 'dumb adaptor' is. I've got XLR mics going into a X70 directly. If I get the FZ2500 what adaptor do I need, i can't find anything on B+H

Here is one that shows you the image sharpness

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 1000 4K IMAGE STABILIZATION test - YouTube

Hi Chris, I'm thinking of the FZ2500, but I don't know what a 'dumb adaptor' is. I've got XLR mics going into a X70 directly. If I get the FZ2500 what adaptor do I need, i can't find anything on B+H
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Hey Mike

I am assuming that the 2500 will have the usual 3.5mm stereo mic input ? I have a Saramonic 107 which gives me two totally controllable XLR channels .. It sits on the tripod and the camera sits on top BeachTek also make a bunch of units but they are a bit pricier!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...annel_xlr.html
Old November 29th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. BTW my daughter is coming out to visit me in Thailand on 16th December from Perth WA and I hope she brings me a spanking new FZ2500 with her!
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I certainly hope so Mike!

The delivery date started of as late September, then moved to end of October, then November, then end of November and now mid December ....I'm not very optimistic about getting a "your camera is ready to pick up" on the 15th December but I guess we can live in hope! I have a live broadcast to shoot on the beach on 1st January 2017 and my FZ1000's have damaged HDMI ports so I will be in deep doo if they don't arrive by then!!
Old November 29th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Was hoping you d have done a review by now Chris!
I would be a bit anxious by now if I were you..
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I checked with B&H in New York and they also have the arrival date noted as mid-December so it seems it's not only Australia! I still have my two FZ1000's so I can still do events. If I get a remote location wedding that needs to be live broadcast, I'll simply film it on card, rush home and upload to the CDN as a "delayed broadcast" ... Already did that once last month!! I can do a delayed broadcast via LiveStream Studio Software on the computer.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series