DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   DMC-GH1 Dedicated Forum (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/145189-dmc-gh1-dedicated-forum.html)

Steve Mullen March 11th, 2009 01:29 AM

Finally, uploaded the 720p30.

Steve Mullen On ExposureRoom - Videos

Frankly, this 30Mbps clip I think looks wonderful. Much easier to edit than AVCHD.

Jose A. Garcia March 12th, 2009 05:04 AM

This is kinda still since we discovered that at least the pre-production models weren't perfect uh?

Bill Koehler March 12th, 2009 09:42 AM

That or we are waiting for the production models to be rolled out and reviewed. And there just isn't much more to say until then. I'm not expecting perfection. That would be RED. This doesn't have a RED pricetag.

This camera still represents the convergence of the big sensor interchangeable lens DSLR world and the small sensor video world at a consumer camera price point, attempting to retain the best features of both. Interchangable lens, Big sensor high resolution, depth of field, and low noise with small sensor video frame rates.

For myself, I can say I've looked at all the videos Steve Mullen has posted. He comments about whitelines - Where? I didn't see any. Or stuttering in 24p mode. I watched and wondered, what is he talking about? Looks good to me. Is it a computer playback issue?

I'm still pretty excited.
I'm looking forward to announcements from NAB.

And I think Steve should get a big, big Thank You for his contributions here.

Ian G. Thompson March 12th, 2009 09:43 AM

Your right. The talk actually slowed down in every forum that I'm a member of. They really need to display some professionally shot samples for us to look over.

Kurth Bousman March 12th, 2009 10:26 AM

patience . Let pany work out the worms . I have a feeling that just about every member in this forum will own this camera in a years time , or that canon and nikon will be fast on the heels with the d5000 and 500d.

Ian G. Thompson March 12th, 2009 10:29 AM

....which would be a good thing for us consumers.

Steve Mullen March 12th, 2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1026586)
For myself, I can say I've looked at all the videos Steve Mullen has posted. He comments about whitelines - Where? I didn't see any. Or stuttering in 24p mode. I watched and wondered, what is he talking about? Looks good to me. Is it a computer playback issue?

the 24p has motion judder, not stutter.

the horizontal noise lines are very visible on the 720p video and were on the camera lcd itself.

Bill Koehler March 12th, 2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 1026788)
the 24p has motion judder, not stutter.

the horizontal noise lines are very visible on the 720p video and were on the camera lcd itself.

I went through and rewatched the videos today.
Yup, I found the horizontal noise lines. My bad.

The hardest problems to fix are the ones that are inconsistent. This looks like something that is easy to reproduce, so hopefully Panasonic can fix the problem.

Thanks for putting the videos out there.

Steve Mullen March 13th, 2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1026880)
his looks like something that is easy to reproduce, so hopefully Panasonic can fix the problem.

I'm not worried in the least.

Of course, when they fix this they could add pulldown which will complicate editing 24p.

On the other hand -- to match MOST 24fps -- it should be 24.976 and not 24.0.

Here's why I'll go with the GH1 rather than another HD camcorder -- flesh tones. Every low-cost camcorder yields pink flesh. Done right this is OK. But, as overall saturation increase, folks look sunburned. It's almost impossible to remove the excess red and add the missing yellow and green.

Looking at the 720p30 video you can see a non-pink look that filmmakers get. (I used to shoot 3M 16mm film that gave yellowish warmth rather than red warmth.)

I've found my Casio also shoots more accurate flesh than do camcorders. It seems companies have decided consumers want pink babies and kids. :)

Now if someone would make a lens with a zoom motor.

Chris Hurd March 15th, 2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren (Post 1022828)
I think this camera has the potential to be at least as big as the 5D Mk II and thus a dedicated forum would make sense.

Agreed, and done (finally). Here it is then.

Adrian Frearson March 16th, 2009 12:21 PM

Thanks Chris, this maybe the first Micro 4/3 for motion forum!

Hopefully Panasonic will put out some samples shot with legacy lenses, to show what this camera might be capable of and how versatile it could be.

Adrian