Is the GH1 a serious video camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dordick View Post
It looks like I am going with the HMC-150.
Excellent choice!!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins View Post
Excellent choice!!
I want 'em both!

It really chaps me that I have to choose between the two. I mostly do documentary work, so a long DoF camera will be fine, but I really do like the look of shallow DoF cameras.

The idea, I think, was that I was going to buy the Lumix GH1 and work with Shallow DoF so that I could use it in narrative shorts (specifically comedy shorts) and wedding videos (where I could, you know, actually make some money back to pay for it - and use a Canon HG20 as my long DoF camera for my documentary projects until I saved up for the HMC150.

The one thing that really, really chaps my hide is that the GH1 has auto audio gain. I have a Juicedlink XLR adapter/mixer. The fact that you can't turn it off means that I'm going to have to record dual audio, and I really don't want to have to sync in post. It just makes everything much more complicated.

Still, I'm thinking that alot of people want the Shallow DoF look, and I'd be more likely to get $1500 of work out of the GH1 faster than I would get $3500 worth of work out of the HMC150.

Although maybe I'm wrong on this.

I have a day job so I'd be solely a nights and weekends videographer - maybe it's impossible to recoup the costs with either of them on my schedule...
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Regular Crew

shallow DOF for documentary

I find when doing documentary shooting that I am usually looking at two setups. I am often RnG on sticks, monopod, or handheld, but then having to do a 2nd setup for controlled posed interviews. I want a second cam ready to go for that, perhaps even setup in anticipation of interviews, and I plan to try the GH1 for that purpose. I think a shallow DOF in a nice setting for intimate interviewing can work well and bring up the production value.
Dave Therault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Major Player

Re: Is the GH1 a serious video camera?

Since it's been awhile on the subject, and we've now moved on to the GH2 and such, has there been any new developments in the portable audio recorder arena?

I purchased my GH1 a year ago and I love it. But whenever I want good audio, I bring my Sony V1U, and take audio from a mic into one of my XLR ports, as well as use it as a B cam. But it may be time to finally purchase a recorder so my GH1 can be a totally stand alone camera. That's why I'm curious.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Josh, I don't know about portable recording units, I haven't looked at them for awhile. But the new Videomic Pro is pretty good, I love mine. It has a -10 db setting and +10 and +20db settings that are very handy. There is an audio forum here also you might check also for some good feedback. They talk about recorders a lot there.
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Since it's been awhile on the subject, and we've now moved on to the GH2 and such, has there been any new developments in the portable audio recorder arena?

I purchased my GH1 a year ago and I love it. But whenever I want good audio, I bring my Sony V1U, and take audio from a mic into one of my XLR ports, as well as use it as a B cam. But it may be time to finally purchase a recorder so my GH1 can be a totally stand alone camera. That's why I'm curious.
For $300 the Tascam DR100 will give some great sound. The Zoom h4n is similarly priced but lacks some of the Tascam's features.
Syncing is easy. I also love redundancy in video production -- and a separate deck accomplishes that.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #22
Major Player

That definitely looks like a good general mic, but I'm looking for something with XLR inputs so I can connect any mics I want (like wireless lavs and such).
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Oh, sorry, misunderstood. Yes, check the audio forum for sure!
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #24
Major Player

@Jeff, no worries, I wasn't very specfic either.

@Brian: The Tascam looks like it might be the right piece of machinery I've been looking for.
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:

Quote:

@Brian: The Tascam looks like it might be the right piece of machinery I've been looking for.
One feature of the Tascam that I like, and it's embarrassing to admit, but it's got an idiot light the glows red if you clip. If you have the misfortune of operating camera and audio, this can really help because although double system sound is awesome and gives much better results than in camera, it *is* another ball in the air. That red light, on a critical audio recording can help a not so great multi tasker like myself.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Josh, I looked at the Tascam thanks to Brian's tip. Looks very good. One or two reviewers at b&h mentioned something about being dissatisfied when using phantom powered mics. You might look into that if that is your plan.
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #27
Major Player

Good to know. I'll look a little closer before I decide. Thanks for passing on the info!
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Nice unit for sure.
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #29
Major Player

just pick up a tascam dr-680. nothing out there is even close at the moment.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #30
Major Player

@Aaron: As much as I'd love to have dr-680, the DR-100 is so much more affordable (with the budget I have), that I'm going to go with it most likely (as long as the phantom power stuff isn't an issue). Thanks for the heads up though.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series