Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
agreed...am thinking more along the lines of the people wanting to see their Canon A1s...the lack of proper audio at the moment and the still wobbly sensors still makes me see these DSLRs as B cams...but i WANT them to be A cams!!

I would also like them to be A Cams.

I've been started to using a Zoom H4 for capturing my audio, which is an extra work in editing and not as convenient as on camera XLR's.

If I willing to use the H4, then that manly leaves 'wobbly sensors"

I guess careful planning will overcome some of that, but it's going to "getcha" one too many times.

It's temping to sell the 35mm / XHa1 rig while it still has a little value and go with the D5 mkII and possibly the GH1.

My gut tells me to hang on to the XHA1, but he pocket book would sure like to unload the whole rig.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Phil, I am curious as to what you mean by saying the codec is weak compared to HDV. If this is the same codec used in the HMC 150 it blows HDV out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
i would be VERY nervous about having two DSLRs and no proper camcorder. The GH1 is a great little tool but no substitute...the codec is quite weak and the lack of audio monitoring if a problem...I would keep the HDV camcorder.

Put it this one I am shooting professionally for the next few days using the EX3/ Ultimate. I have a 5dmk2 here and a GH1 but this is a pro gig and the only camera I will use for it still is the EX3...we are getting there though!! These DSLR are great B cams for 35mm rigs as they are SO lightweight and awesome in low light. Especially the Canon.

The autofocus features on the GH1 stock lens are great (especially facial recognition with memory so you can program it to stay focused on one person and ignore the rest!) but it does do sudden reactionary changes unlike the subtle changes you can do with video cams...
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #48
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Nickle View Post
Phil, I am curious as to what you mean by saying the codec is weak compared to HDV. If this is the same codec used in the HMC 150 it blows HDV out of the water.
Yes, but no. Because the actual implementation of the AVCHD codec appears to be limited on the 1080/24p mode. AVCHD is better than HDV, unquestionably, no doubt. But I think you'll find pretty much universal agreement that Canon's HDV is better than Sony's HDV as featured on the FX1, right? And so it is with the GH1, the HMC150's AVCHD is better than the GH1's. There's a quote somewhere from a Panasonic guy who said that the camcorders have better processors and that they can take advantage of "B" frames, which the Lumix doesn't.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #49
Trustee

Shooting in 720p mode does seem to be better for the codec

anyway here is my latest blog about shooting in Joshua Tree using the stock lens, and get this, Zeiss ULTRA Prime PL Lenses costing over $10,000 each!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Panasonic Lumix GH1 in Joshua Tree and PL lenses!

two of the shots below were done on the stock lens...
Attached Thumbnails
Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still9.jpg  

Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still8.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still7.jpg  

Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still6.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still5.jpg  

Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still4.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still3.jpg  

Last edited by Phil Bloom; May 12th, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Hey Philip - those stills look great, were those taken from video? And were you shooting 720 or 1080?
Joe Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Very impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final clips!
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kowalski View Post
Hey Philip - those stills look great, were those taken from video? And were you shooting 720 or 1080?
yup all frame grabs from full HD
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #53
New Boot

Really liking what i am seeing from this camera so far, especially some of the frame grabs from ur latest shoot.

Phil do you know if the camera is pal/ntsc switchable or is there a separate pal version that will be sold in europe as i am looking forward to trying out this camera myself but wont be able to till it gets its release in ireland.
Mark Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Doherty View Post
Really liking what i am seeing from this camera so far, especially some of the frame grabs from ur latest shoot.

Phil do you know if the camera is pal/ntsc switchable or is there a separate pal version that will be sold in europe as i am looking forward to trying out this camera myself but wont be able to till it gets its release in ireland.
Mark, If you buy in EU you get the 25p/50p version. Asia and US should be 24p/60p. Not switchable.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #55
Trustee

New blog on EU launch of GH1, also link to my new film "Joshua Tree" (locked until 10am local time when I will be showing it to the press at the launch)

Philip Bloom Blog Archive EU launch of GH1 and new GH1 short, Joshua Tree
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM   #56
Major Player

nice work phil

"Joshua Tree" looks great.
Thanks for all your work sharing information on this camera. It's been very helpful and I appreciate the time you've spent.
Daniel
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM   #57
Trustee

There is now a section on my website where I have gathered all my video DSLR articles. Please visit it here:

Philip Bloom Video DSLRs

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series