Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Have Chris take you over to Gruene... good photo ops there...
Due to the limited time available, the Re:Frame crowd didn't get to venture much further beyond 6th Street, which certainly kept them busy enough. Phil is in the middle of a whirlwind tour of North America and I believe he soon departs for points west, otherwise I would have been happy to show him Gruene (still just as big a draw as Wimberley but better for photos in my opinion).

Quote:
And before you leave, have him take you over to New Braunfels Smokehouse ...
Sadly it no longer exists as you knew it. Kelly and I had a commemorative farewell breakfast-for-dinner there not long before they permanently closed doors. The name lives on as a luncheonette in a much smaller building, and their online business continues to do well. Unfortunately not quite the same experience as it used to be though. Lots of good memories there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Trustee

got some nice footage and will be editing it when my hangover subsides...
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #18
Trustee

Well I took it out for first time yesterday and shot some footage. All handheld.

It performed really well. Very nice image.

The stock lens is too slow making low light ugly as the very high ISO has some horrible banding issues. But I wlll be getting my Nikon adaptor tomorrow so will be able to use my fast Zeiss primes and I will be able to do some proper low light filming.

The mic is pretty good. Not great, but does it's job.

But mostly I LOVED the manual controls for exposure, love the ability to use auto focus and face recognition whilst filming and loved the long recording time...

Read more below and the video is almost uploaded!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Panasonic Lumix GH1 first impressions and first footage

If Chris is able to, I could post the uncompressed Apple Intermediate Codec version. It's like 1.5gb or something...

here are some frame grabs...
Attached Thumbnails
Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-gh1bloom.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-gh1bloom2.jpg  

Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-gh1bloom4.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-gh1bloom8.jpg  

Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-gh1bloom6.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-gh1bloom7.jpg  

Old April 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Phil, Thanks for posting the footage quickly and for the review, I enjoyed reading it. Cant wait to see what footage you get in Hawaii later too.

Aloha!
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks for the footage, look great

Phil, You should consider trying more handheld with the gh1 too, seems to work well for you in that regard. If you want something unique try flumin the ditch on the big island, it is an inflatable kayak trip on the old elevated sugar irrigation flumes and hand carved tunnels or the wild horses in Waipio valley. Do not wrestle the wild boars in the next valley over reachable only by foot. I repeat, do not....
Later and great footage, thanks again, Alan
Alan Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Cheers Phil, great real world example of this camera in use and very informative writing. How do you get time to write all this stuff!? Look forward to seeing your Hawaii footage, any surfing?.

Adrian
Adrian Frearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #22
Trustee

basically I don't sleep!!! it's 230 am in Austin and my taxi comes in 2 and 3 quarter hours to pick me up. Still packing...missed on on dinner with the re:frame guys to get this edit and review up...

Also most of this was shot in auto focus mode, manual exposure though...
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM   #23
Trustee

Nikon lenses on the GH1

got an adaptor. tried it out...Great! Footage to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-dog.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-img_5326.jpg  

Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-img_5324.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-img_5320.jpg  

Old May 1st, 2009, 07:06 AM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
If Chris is able to, I could post the uncompressed Apple Intermediate Codec version. It's like 1.5gb or something...
I'd be happy to host it. Busy morning here but will provide FTP account uploads info to you a bit later in the day.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Phil:

What's your first impression on GH1 as it relates to the HDV camcorders and 35mm adapters.

I have a Canon XH A1 w/ Cinevate Flip unit, HV20 2/ Cinevate, and 5D Mark II.

I have the HV20 and 1 Cinevate up for sale.

After this week, even though I haven't touched a GH1, I'm getting the gut feeling that I may be able to sell the XH A1 w/ Cinevate. Then my 2 cams would then be the D5 mkII and GH1.

I need one camera to be able to roll for 30 minutes or longer. The other camera can be started and stopped. The XH A1 was my benchmark for image quality and DOF.

I'm liking the auto focus on the GH1, ease of use, and manual controls. Of course, optimistic on the image quality so far, just waiting to see more.

What's your opinion of image quality on GH1 vs the HDV camcorders with 35 adapters?
Think one can get buy with 2 DSLR's and no HDV camcorder?
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM   #26
Major Player

That's what I'm starting to think - this may replace my XHA1 as a better general-use companion to my 5D.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:09 AM   #27
Trustee

Slow motion.

My first slow motion footage imminently up!!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Kauai sunset: LUMIX GH1 slow motion

shot in 720p 50p mode and reconformed in cinema tools to 25p

Graded with Magic Bullet Looks...it held up just fine. Yay!
Attached Thumbnails
Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still2.jpg   Philip Bloom gets his mitts on a GH1 in Austin, TX-still1.jpg  

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:13 AM   #28
New Boot

Very nice footage Phil. Thanks.
The 50p looks to be very useful. But in your GH1 model, there is 'only' choice for 50p / PAL? You can't use the NTSC's 60p?
Jelle Dobma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Phil,
I was already pretty set on this camera before it was released, but didn't expect too much from it. This slow mo piece and the other that you did have been more than a pleasant surprise. They show that it could be a really versatile little tool for docs and a great b-cam at least. Cheers

Nice music choice by the way, I totally drifted off for a minute there and forgot to look for any of the geeky stuff!

Adrian
Adrian Frearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Phil:

The slow motion is a nice feature. I like it so far. If I could get my mitts on one for 24 hours, I'm guessing I'd be $1500 poorer.

Our family has been to Kauai about 10-12 time in the last 15 years. Don't recognize the beach though.

Any chance you shot the sunset around Hanapepe or maybe on a beach down by the base of Waimea Canyon somewhere.
if not there, maybe up on the north shore near the end of the road in Hanea State Park?

If your like Pizza, one of my favorite Pizza joints is a place called the Brick Oven in Kalaheo on the south part of the island. As good as I've had anywhere.

Don't forget to get a bubba burger up north in Hanalei. They cheat tourist and lawyers and won't sell a burger for less than the cost of a can of dog food, or something along those lines.

Are you going to use the GH1 as a B cam with your EX3 Letus rig on this shoot?

Looking forward to some more GH1 footage.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series