Panasonic GF1 official - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
QUOTE:

As I mentioned earlier, the Samsung HMX-100 series produces excellent 720p60 video for under $500. The Samsungs have other limitations (poor manual exposure control through a menu system, no external mic input, poor in low light, etc). But they can fix shutter speed at 1/60, and the video resolution beats my Canon HF10. They are underrated cameras, IMHO.
Not to hijack thread, but thank you for the post on the Samsung. I've obtained a 1080i50 sample and it has a clear problem"

SAMSUNG AVC encoder, 1920 x 1080 (3413 x 1080), Millions
AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz

It does have a frame size of 3413 by 1080 in the QT player and iMovie 09.

1) Could you post data from 720p60.

2) What NLEs have you tried?

Thank you.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #17
Trustee

Steve, sorry I missed seeing your last post until now.

I agree the Samsung has some codec whackyness going on. When you first connect the camera by USB to the computer it auto-installs proprietary Samsung codec, after which Windows Mediaplayer will play the clips fine.

TMPGenc Xpress4 opens the clips, and reports 1280x720 59.92fps, with 48000kHz mp4a audio.

I've been transcoding the clips to CFHD avis using HDLink. HDLink seems to be confused by the reported framerate and outputs 25fps clips with the audio way out of sync. If I run AVIFrate on the clips and reset them to 59.94, the audio re-syncs. I put a trouble ticket in to Cineform about that ... they said they are 'waiting on new AVCHD components' that may fix the problem.

I have a few seconds of CFHD 720p60 I can send - it's 80MB so what the easiest way to get that to you?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
... Obviously, Pana isn't going to reveal this modification.
Their MSRP would take a hit if they did.

Quote:
... the future holds a far better GH1 with both 1080p24 and 1080p30 ...
The GH2 ?

Quote:
PS: Voltic makes AVCHD conversion software. Perhaps they discovered this when they added GH1 support.
Do you use VoltaicHD to convert your AVCHD to something else for editing?
May I ask what you convert to?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
May I ask what you convert to?
I don't use it as I shoot with h.264/AVC because I don't have to convert it. It seems odd that I can edit AVC natively, but AVCHD which is essentially the same thing so often has to be converted.

Unless I can a dramatic increased quality of AVCHD, I will use Motion-JPEG.

PS: Pana's Motion-JPEG is identified by OS X software as Photo-JPEG. Very odd.
Old October 14th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #20
Major Player

could someone clarify a point about the GF1...

on dpreview.com there is a picture of the GF1 with the GH1's 14-140 lens on it and it says...

"Using the adaptor, the G1 can mount the full range of legacy Four Thirds lenses. However, its smaller size can result in combinations that are less well balanced than would be the case with Four Thirds DSLRs."

Now I have a GH1 and was considering buying a 20mm 1.7 panny prime. I then saw its only slightly more with the GF1 body. However now after reading that a converter might be needed to use the 14-140, could someone confirm that the 20mm 1.7 that comes with the GF1 is the same as the 20mm 1.7 that people generally buy for use with the GH1?

Many thanks in advance
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #21
Trustee

yep - same micro 4/3rds mount - I swap all my GH1 lenses on to the GF1
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #22
Major Player

cheers Paul
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series