GH-1 Shipping Yet? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Unfortunate? Maybe, maybe not from the manufacturer's point of view. Limited production helps support their pricing and ensures they, and their dealers, make money on every unit sold.
One of the amazing things is that it appears big Japanese companies get a specified price for a specified order size from "a" factory (which may or may not be owned by them). Think of WalMart ordering widgets. "I'll take 10000 if the price is $10." And, the reply, "at $10, I need an order for 12000." Back and forth it goes.

Orders are socially binding. When my Japanese distributor said he would buy X units they bought X units even if they crammed them into warehouses.

The odd thing is that increasing order size is very hard. You want 25% more GH1s. But to do this I need to build a new line that costs $1 million. But, you tell me you only want 25% more for the next 6 months -- because you'll introduce a new model then. No way I'll do this. Unless you promise the next order from me, of course. Back and forth it goes.

My guess is the parts cost is very high and Panasonic has a strong long term ability to maintain profit -- unlike Sony. So they really want every unit sold -- and each unit sold at MSRP. I'll bet they also know a replacement will come very soon because they have a codec "issue."
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Unfortunate? Maybe, maybe not from the manufacturer's point of view. Limited production helps support their pricing and ensures they, and their dealers, make money on every unit sold.
Well, I'm just looking at it from the purchaser's point of view. I have a need, I have the money, and I'd like to buy it. They aren't making anything from me, and they could. I had no trouble when I got my HVX 200, or my HM-100, so I'm just a little annoyed. But it is what it is.

~ ~ Lisa
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Strong-Aufhauser View Post
Well, I'm just looking at it from the purchaser's point of view. I have a need, I have the money, and I'd like to buy it. They aren't making anything from me, and they could. I had no trouble when I got my HVX 200, or my HM-100, so I'm just a little annoyed. But it is what it is.

~ ~ Lisa
I am actually sympathetic, Lisa. But those cameras you mention, at $5500 & $3500 respectively (B&H current pricing) would also had far shorter lines of buyers.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #19
Barry Wan Kenobi

Is there that much of a shortage now? Try ordering from Panasonic themselves. I bought a second GH1 a month ago, I think the total wait from time of ordering to time of delivery was only about two weeks.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi

Several dealers are reporting them as "in stock" right now.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Try local photo stores (if the official DVinfo Sponsors are out of stock, that is ;) )... I was traveling and I saw them in various local photo stores, the local stores that are Panasonic dealers seem to get a continual supply of a couple units at a time.

I'm out of the country right now.

I've been seeing them in all the stores I frequent lately for the last month, the owner of one said that he gets a lot of orders from the US, people calling.

I went ahead and picked one up, I didn't realize until I started looking around on the forums for info on getting the best image out of it, that there was this unfilled demand for them, I didn't realize they were so hard to come by.

Glad I picked one up instead of getting home and trying to find one.

I'd be happy to help with places to call and order one right now, but that would probably violate the forum rules, since these local stores are not sponsors of the forum..
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #22
New Boot

ordered mine directly from Panasonic USA...

It arrived 2 days ago and took less than 3 weeks total from the time I placed the order. Unfortunately I live in Cairo, Egypt and the camera is currently in New Mexico. It will be a month before I am able to retrieve it from the USA.

I have owned a G1 nearly from the first day they became available. It is my main camera now for shooting candid street stills. I am looking forward to not carrying separate video and still cameras.
Kevin Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Trustee

It's true that the camera is becoming easier to get especially from local authorized dealers. Even the dealer that sold me the camera has a few of them in stock (I just called them up before I posted that).

Their are too many people relying on places such as Amazon and B&H and it's no wonder they still have trouble keeping them in stock.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Owner

Okay; I finally purchased one - from B&H. I ordered and received it right before their Fall holidays. Smiling.

Kevin Haupt, you live and work in Cairo?? Too cool (not thermally, of course). What do you do there?

~ ~ Lisa
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series